Motherwell -V- ICT : Matchday Thread

Scotty

sidenote on the game. didnt realise meekings was out for 6weeks! could he play righ back? anyone except proctor

He's billed as a LB..

We have signed an Austrian called Piermayr RB!!!!!! just waiting for international clearance seemingly!

COME ON ICT!!!

Its only the first game of the season but i kinda had the feeling we'd struggle this year. You only have to look at last years squad to tell its better than this seasons.

I hear what you're saying but the thing that I am holding onto is that we still have 4 players some not available today that could easily have a case for being in the team from the start: G Shinnie, Cox, Doran and Piermayr.

From the sounds of things it's in defence today that we have struggled, the guys at the game will be able to tell us better, but we have made chances and been good on the ball according to reports.

sidenote on the game. didnt realise meekings was out for 6weeks! could he play righ back? anyone except proctor

He's billed as a LB..

We have signed an Austrian called Piermayr RB!!!!!! just waiting for international clearance seemingly!

COME ON ICT!!!

He played against Buckie at RB, he played for his last team at RB, and why would we sign a LB when we have Gillet and Shinnie?

Anyway, welcome to reality. we are humped on the first day, not a good start, need to sort out the defence a bit Terry, and having no defensive midfielder on the park is criminal.

He's billed as a LB..

COME ON ICT!!!

He played against Buckie at RB, he played for his last team at RB, and why would we sign a LB when we have Gillet and Shinnie?

Anyway, welcome to reality. we are humped on the first day, not a good start, need to sort out the defence a bit Terry, and having no defensive midfielder on the park is criminal.

Russell Duncan anyone?

i have just listened to mfr now we wont know until the guys at the game give us the clear picture but from what i heard we looked good but defensively we are still dodgy so we need to sort that but remember we are a new team who havent played together for very long compared to a pretty similar well squad so i think alot of positives but need to strengthen the back line

Yeah, we do have a couple of glaring omissions in centre-back and defensive midfield. Munro and Duncan are the obvious candidates but, even if they had to go, they also had to be replaced. Cox won't play every game. Although I quite fancy Proctor to slot in at defensive midfield, given that Butcher has never played them there, I suspect he doesn't have the same feeling. It's still early days but we are lacking in a couple of positions pretty badly.

• Disagree 1

Does anyone know why McCoist isn't speaking to BBC?

Do you really give a feck?!?

Interest

Try other football forum or huns website if you want to discuss Mcmoist..........the title of this thread is self explanatory

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

No real surprise really. Defence was a concern before the game and although it was fortunate in the friendlies to have goals at the other end so we finished with a win and some draws for an unbeaten run, in the first actual competitive match together it has been shown up for the weakness that it is.

I realise this is only the opening game and one swallow does not a summer make, and we also have a right back in the offing, but one injury and we are left with what we fielded today.

Lets hope that this is just a symptom of not enough games together and that experience will rapidly catch up with talent and we get stronger in that ara before we meet some real opposition! :pale:

Russell Duncan anyone?

Yes, quite... :slapme:

Can anyone tell me if BBC ALBA do highlights of all the games at 5.30 (now that its on Freeview ch8) or does it just cover the selected match.

I think it's still just a selected match, tonight it's the Aberdeen v St Johnstone game

That was brutal.

For a start, we were a tactical shambles. Butcher sent the team out with some sort of narrow diamond midfield, with A Shinnie at the top...which meant Hayes was sitting much deeper and tended to be getting the ball nearer his own goal than Motherwell's. Well simply pushed their full backs on and annihilated us that way. The first goal came after Gillet was isolated two-on-one and Proctor failed to track the man at the back post. The second was a smashing passing move, but Proc (there's a theme here) lost Murphy and Tokes was dragged out of position by Higdon, leaving acres in behind. TB then brought Ross into centre mid and stuck Shinnie out on the right, but the words 'stable door', 'horse' and 'bolted' come to mind.

We did have chances of our own - Tansey especially unlucky after hitting the post with a free kick and then being denied by a point blank save, while I think Foran hit the post as well. In the second half they just sat on their lead and we couldn't break them down. Their third was a screamer from Lasley but I want to know why he had the chance to take two touches before hitting it, with no one closing him down.

Pass marks to Esson, who made a good save in the first half, and Foran, who worked hard.

In contrast our back four were rank, but particularly Tokely, who was owned by Higdon, and Proctor. I've never seen anyone trip over the ball as much as Andrew Shinnie did. As for Tade, his attempts to shoot were just comical. He tries, I guess.

I know we still have 37 league games left, but we were so poor st the back and so tactically inept that I'm struggling not to panic.

• Agree 1