Motherwell -V- ICT : Matchday Thread

Scotty

sidenote on the game. didnt realise meekings was out for 6weeks! could he play righ back? anyone except proctor

He's billed as a LB..

We have signed an Austrian called Piermayr RB!!!!!! just waiting for international clearance seemingly!

COME ON ICT!!!

He played against Buckie at RB, he played for his last team at RB, and why would we sign a LB when we have Gillet and Shinnie?

Anyway, welcome to reality. we are humped on the first day, not a good start, need to sort out the defence a bit Terry, and having no defensive midfielder on the park is criminal.

he's a right back who CAN play left back. as for the defensive midfielder, we need someone to fill the void while cox is out. WHY THE HELL ISNT STUART DUFF HERE!!

I expected a defeat today but not 3-0!!!

Hopefully that's the last we'll see of Proctor in the side as he just isn't good enough. I think our defence is really going to struggle even with the new Austrain at right back and we'll need a bit of steel in midfield to provide some protection

Wonder if Butcher will shoulder any of the responsibilty for the dodgy tactics/formation or will he blame the players?

sidenote on the game. didnt realise meekings was out for 6weeks! could he play righ back? anyone except proctor

He's billed as a LB..

We have signed an Austrian called Piermayr RB!!!!!! just waiting for international clearance seemingly!

COME ON ICT!!!

He played against Buckie at RB, he played for his last team at RB, and why would we sign a LB when we have Gillet and Shinnie?

Anyway, welcome to reality. we are humped on the first day, not a good start, need to sort out the defence a bit Terry, and having no defensive midfielder on the park is criminal.

he's a right back who CAN play left back. as for the defensive midfielder, we need someone to fill the void while cox is out. WHY THE HELL ISNT STUART DUFF HERE!!

You'll need to ask Stuart Duff that, he's the only one that knows why he choose not to sign the contract he was offered

Tansey looks a player, Tade worked hard don't think much of A.Shinnie or Aldred. Proctor was a nightmare as was Gillet but it's only opening game so not going to panic. Very impressed with Motherwell, Hammell and Humphries in particular.

Proctor!:doh: Oh dear he really was lost again today! Although, we were all slagging him off, it's fair to say it wasn't his fault we lost the game. He was noticeably dire though. There were small flashes of good football from the team. Foran and Butcher have both said to be patient so i'll try my best to do that and hopfully it falls into place. Lets not forget that Well have a very good team and I think they will go far this season. We could have scored a couple of goals as well, so at least we're creating the chances. Tansey had a great shot off the post. No need to hit the panic button yet depsite some of the comments from folk at the game and certainly no need to sing about Grant Munro when they went 2-0 up!!! Great way to motivate the defence!!!:doh: Hopefully we can play our usual against Hibs at home and get a boost from that.

Poor first half performance, especially at the back. We just didn't look solid, Tokley and Proctor were poor. I thought Tansey did well and Tade worked hard. Foran looked our biggest threat but Shinnie was anonymous in the first half and in the second he wasn't much better.

'Well were good, they knocked the ball around very well for their first half goals and Lasley hit a beauty for the third. I think they could do well this season. Hopefully they finish third and this result isn't reflective of how our season goes

Does anyone know why McCoist isn't speaking to BBC?

Do you really give a feck?!?

Interest

Try other football forum or huns website if you want to discuss Mcmoist..........the title of this thread is self explanatory

I go away for a few weeks and come back to this drivel? No wonder I stopped posting on here. And here I thought we were a bunch of open minded civil people rather....also, if you happen to take a glance at the first post, then you will clearly see that it says "discuss ICT and other games here"

So if you know the answer then say it, and if you don't I suggest you keep those fingers to yourself.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Ok so hardly a great start.

Positives: Tansey looked good hit a good free kick off the post seems to have an eye for a pass. Esson made a few good stops unlucky with the goals. After both initially jumping against each other for the ball, Foran and Tade seemed to improve both put in plenty of effort. Tade had a fantastic knock down for Foran or A.Shinnie I think in the first half which created a good chance. Hayes looked lively in the second half cynically stopped a few times by motherwell players as we were breaking away.

Negatives: Tactics, I have no clue what our midfield was supposed to be doing in the first half and I don't think they did either. All were fairly anonymous with Hayes trying to cut in from the left a lot but when we lost the ball that left Hateley and Humphrey two on one against Gillet. The defence as a unit looked very poor. Gillet was probably the best of the bad bunch. Tokely looked uncomfortable against the pace of Murphy and was caught a few times. Aldred won his fair share of headers against Higdon but generally looked quite shaky when the ball was on the deck. Proctor was terrible totally and utterly taken apart, Piermayr better be good is all I can say because we really need him.

Motherwell looked very good and on that performance should be challenging for the Europa League places they deserved their 2 goals in the first half, their 3rd was against the run of play in the second half. We had plenty of chances and really should have scored a few.

Let's just hope it gets better before the weekend!

disappointing opening game to the season. defence were a bit of a shambles, Tade seemed to be playing at 1st division speed. However, Tansey looked promising and I am sure once all players signed and they begin to gel together things will improve. We are bottom of the league the noo - it can only get better.

Bring back Brewster!

How far do we go?

Bring back Hercher

Far enough? :nanananana:

Baltacha?

Interesting to hear the views of those who were at the game. The radio commentary didnt make it sound as dire as those who were there have done. Based on the radio, it sounded like they were decent and took their chances whereas we pressed and didnt take the chances we had .... either because of the woodwork (twice) or because we couldnt finish.

It's a long season, and the silver lining in this game may be the fact that several other managers were at today's game and will be writing us off as cannon fodder .... get a good right back in, get Cox fit and playing in that central defensive midfield role and we may see things a bit better !

Does anyone know why McCoist isn't speaking to BBC?

Nobody appears to know the official answer but the speculation is that it is an extension of the "Radio5 Live" issue, especially as today's game was Vs Hearts.

Basically,Rangers have banned Radio5 Live from Ibrox, and said they will do no interviews or co-operate with them in any way until such time as they apologise for Nicky Campbell's assertion on his show in May that the "Hearts Fan" that attacked Lennon in the Hearts-v-Celtic match last year could have been a Rangers fan in a cunning disguise ..... Radio5 have so far refused to apologise and have backed Campbell !!!

I am deeply saddened. That is all.

Not quite all. I will buy a lifetime's supply of Waitrose Coconut and Lime ice cream* for anyone who can convince me why it was a good idea to remove two of the most reliable, consistent, experienced and loyal players from a team that finished halfway up the SPL in its first season after promotion.

*It is really good ice cream. Trust me.

Edited by alternative maryhill

I am deeply saddened. That is all.

Not quite all. I will buy a lifetime's supply of Waitrose Coconut and Lime ice cream* for anyone who can convince me why it was a good idea to remove two of the most reliable, consistent, experienced and loyal players from a team that finished halfway up the SPL in its first season after promotion.

*It is really good ice cream. Trust me.

Because they had discipline issues with their manager? When do I collect the ice cream and how will you stop it melting?

As Scotty mentioned we didnt sound that bad on the radio, so I hope the players arent mentally beating themselves up over the scoreline, save it for Hibs.

Forever the optimist still looking forward to the first home game of the season and it sounds like Tansey is a good signing.

I will buy a lifetime's supply of Waitrose Coconut and Lime ice cream* for anyone who can convince me why it was a good idea to remove two of the most reliable, consistent, experienced and loyal players from a team that finished halfway up the SPL in its first season after promotion.

It was a very good idea, that came as a 2 part plan:

1) Remove these two stalwarts

2) Replace them with better players

The problem seems to be that the plan was only half implemented!

(Can you deliver?)

Think there's a lot of knee-jerk reaction to todays result....and still a bit of bitterness from those who seemed to be waiting for an opportunity to stick the knife in (again) about the loss of Munro and Duncan....move on people, all the bitching in the world isn't going to change things in that regard.

I actually thought we played not too bad in spells today and our biggest problem was that we were a bit too stand offish when defending. The scoresheet might say 3-0 (and I know that's what counts) but I didn't witness a 3-0 performance from ICT. Hit the woodwork 3 times...on another day they would all have gone in and it would have been 3-3 and been a lot more representative of the match as a whole.

Proctor didn't give a good showing, but don't think any of the rest of the team had (individual) bad games.

The difference between the teams today was that one team knew each other and were used to playing together and the other seemed a little rusty at times.

All in all, I saw nothing that can't be fixed. Give the guys a little time to gel as a team and I think we could be in for some very interesting and exciting football from ICT this season.

• Agree 6

Because they had discipline issues with their manager? When do I collect the ice cream and how will you stop it melting?

Nah, I'm not convinced. Both players managed to make major contributions to the side under Paterson, Robertson, Brewster, Christie and Butcher, and it seems reckless, to say the least, to dispense with them so quickly. While I do think that Butcher is a good man manager and should be entitled to expect the loyalty of his players, could the alleged discipline issues not have been dealt with a little more diplomatically? Even the offer of one year contracts for these two players, explaining that in the long term TB envisaged building a team around younger players, would have allowed a smoother transistion. Today really was dreadful: unless we improve quickly then we could be cut adrift by the end of the first quarter. I'm not prone to melodramatic pessimism - honest - and I will be very happy if I'm proved wrong, but I think it will be a very difficult league this year.

A very dissapointing start to the season - but not without its positives.

Positive points - Tansey looks very impressive, box to box, great passing, vision and was unlucky not to have a brace of goals. Foran worked his socks off and at some points was back defending, despite playing as a striker. Tade worked hard but seemed to be running on empty from the start - think some need to remember he has had no pre season and may take a few games to get into his stride. Johhny also looked lively but he needs to be put back onto the right hand side - its were he cause most danger.

Negatives - Proctor - end of. He lost the runs he was meant to be tracking, which led to 2 goals, his clearences were poor and his distribution was non existent. The sooner Piermayr is in the team the better. Shinnie had a poor start, his first touches in paticular but i felt alongside Tansey he was starting to improve but when he got shoved onto the right wing he was a passenger for the rest of the game. Aldred had a great start but his form seemed to dip as the game went on. Gillet was always going to struggle against Humphrey but he allowed him too much space which made us vulnerable everytime they broke forward.

Motherwell looked the part today. With the likes of Humphrey, Murphy, and Law in their team i think their fans can be expecting big things from them this season - and Lasley has a contender for goal of the season already.

We are still short of players, fitness and experience of working this team together. With a bit of time and patience i think this time can hold its own.

• Agree 1

Motherwell have an established squad. We are building. We are a mid table team with hopes of top six and we are building towards that. The first game of the season is always a tricky one and we have been beaten as much as we've won our first game. We will come good. I agree with many that the loss of Duncan and Munro may be a bad thing but we can't dwell on that now and must, instead, get behind and support what we have. Hopefully there will be a stronger defense in place before the window closure and things will get better.