ICT v Hibernian: Matchday Thread

Gringo

Feel sorry for the players who put in a good performance and got not even a point for their effort.

Quality goalie,the back line is looking solid again, central midfield was impressive,Doran has come back an even better player, you know what to expect from Hayes and Sutherland played well, the team is almost looking like a top six team all we need now are strikers, we know what to expect from Foran which is to bust his gut and chip in with goals and we know that Tade will try hard but isnt an out and out goal scorer, so I'm not quite sure where the goals are going to come from. I think the team will improve more with time but without an out and out goal scorer to play with either Tade, Foran or whoever, I think we will be just about ok but the game is about goals and without them we may not do as well as hoped.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Striker needed badly and quickly too please.

Rooney would have scored a hatrick today had he still been with us.

Otherwise all ok.

Agreed. We failed to make great chances count the second week in a row and I don't think Tade will be up to the task (I hope I am proved wrong). We need someone to score goals.

I think folk are forgeting we have signed a Striker but he's out injured. Billy McKay... and before folk start nobody had heard of Adam Rooney till he came here and he took a while to settle. A youngster is our only hope really cos we cannot afford a established striker.. (perhaps a loan deal?)

• Agree 2

id take alex mcdonald back someone with pace and a high work rate

tade great imo he is quick and a great target man but we need a poacher feeding off him to nip in and score from what i hear billy mckays of that ilk so we will have to wait and see

A new striker just isn't going to happen. Butcher was saying before the match about how broke he was, referring to his budget. A proven striker scoring 20 or more a season costs a lot. We just have to be patient. It would be a lot worse if we were losing without creating any chances at all.

• Agree 1

We wuz robbed! Missed a hatload of good chances and had a couple of stonewall penalty claims turned down. I think 5 - 3 would have been a reasonable reflection of the game.

Am I disappointed? Yes. Am I down hearted? No. It was a bright enough started but then Hibs took control and could and probably should have got a couple. We started coming back into it at the end of the half and then totally dominated the 2nd half. We will play worse and win this season.

I have to say I am really encouraged. There were several occasions when the lack of familiarity with the new team mates showed - notably when Tom Aldred played a measured back pass to Essons right foot - but when they get used to each other I think we have a good team in the making. Hogg will certainly stengthen the back and the goals will come. All the new signings look decent.

We have failed to score in the opening 2 matches but that will come. The important thing is we are creating chances by the hatload and a bit more sharpness, composure or luck is all that is required. I don't know much about Mackay but if he is the kind of striker who can capitalise on the half chances that come when the ball is driven low into the box then he will revel in the way the team played today.

Given that the players have hardly played together I thought it was an excellent performance and I really enjoyed the match. I thought Doran was the stand out player when he came on - he made good space and his control on the first touch was top class. For me it looks as though we are going to see some really attractive football this year. We may be bottom just now but come the end of the season we are much more likely to be bottom of the top six than bottom of the bottom six.

Think positive. We are only 4 points off top spot.

• Agree 4

We wuz robbed! Missed a hatload of good chances and had a couple of stonewall penalty claims turned down. I think 5 - 3 would have been a reasonable reflection of the game.

Am I disappointed? Yes. Am I down hearted? No. It was a bright enough started but then Hibs took control and could and probably should have got a couple. We started coming back into it at the end of the half and then totally dominated the 2nd half. We will play worse and win this season.

I have to say I am really encouraged. There were several occasions when the lack of familiarity with the new team mates showed - notably when Tom Aldred played a measured back pass to Essons right foot - but when they get used to each other I think we have a good team in the making. Hogg will certainly stengthen the back and the goals will come. All the new signings look decent.

We have failed to score in the opening 2 matches but that will come. The important thing is we are creating chances by the hatload and a bit more sharpness, composure or luck is all that is required. I don't know much about Mackay but if he is the kind of striker who can capitalise on the half chances that come when the ball is driven low into the box then he will revel in the way the team played today.

Given that the players have hardly played together I thought it was an excellent performance and I really enjoyed the match. I thought Doran was the stand out player when he came on - he made good space and his control on the first touch was top class. For me it looks as though we are going to see some really attractive football this year. We may be bottom just now but come the end of the season we are much more likely to be bottom of the top six than bottom of the bottom six.

Think positive. We are only 4 points off top spot.

i was going to write a long summary of my views of todays game but this sums it up exactly the way i saw it

if we werent creating chances i would be a lot more worried, it just didnt click today and i put that partly down to the amount of newcomers in the team. Having said that the ref and linesmen were at fault of quite a few occasions and the ref should have at least given us one of the numerous penalty appeals we had.

I think given a few weeks training together and another couple of games under their belts we have the basis of a strong team.

I thought there were some very encouraging performances today, Piermayr looked strong in the tackle and read the game well. Jones looks an outstanding player, very composed on the ball and has a very good eye for a pass. Tansey looked a little quiet in the first half but came onto a game in the second half, he was very unlucky not to score near the end. Tade worked extremely hard and will cause SPL defences all sorts of problems with his strength

Ross and Gillet didnt have great games however i am sure Terry will let them know in no uncertain terms that there is strong competition for both of their places and that should hopefully kick them into action

i was certainly disappointed/frustrated after the game but upon reflection i think i have seen enough to conclude that we will gel sooner rather than later

• Agree 1

id take alex mcdonald back someone with pace and a high work rate

tade great imo he is quick and a great target man but we need a poacher feeding off him to nip in and score

Nah I wouldn't have him back. ICT need a goalscorer - he isn't one.

Completely agree with 'Doofers Dad' and 'Libero' in their assessments of todays game.

Greatly encouraged by the overall play of the team today. The new signings look like real finds.

Defence looked pretty solid throughout although I would feel more comfortable with Hogg playing in at the heart of the defence. Aldred looks like a good commanding defender who has plenty of potential. Will this be the first season that Tokely is pushed out of the team? Gillet was slightly off the pace today however he made a superb block on the line in the first half and I remain positive that he'll turn out to be a good solid left back. Piermayr as mentioned above looks like the solution to our problem right back position. I was very impressed not only with his defensive ability but also his attacking threat in the second half.

In midfield, I think Jones could turn out to be our signing of the season. He strolled through the game and showed his quality on the ball, picking out good passes and rarely losing the ball. He easily looks like he could play at a higher standard and unfortunately I think this may be his first and last season with us before he moves back to a 'bigger' club. Tansey started slowly but second half played well, making good, well timed runs into the box and was unlucky not to get a goal. I wonder if Cox will get his place back? And where he'll fit in?

Hayes I thought was quiet for his standards. I sometimes found himself trying to do everything by himself instead of moving the ball quicker and stretching Hibs. He did however, play in some great crosses second half and looked a threat. It certainly didn't help that anytime he picked up the ball he had 2 or even 3 players quickly closing him down. Could be a harder season for him as he's been pin pointed by the opposition. Nick Ross had his poorest SPL game for us today i'm afraid. There is no doubt he has ability but today things didn't click for him and Butcher made a good decision to swap things quite early on into the second half. His replacement Doran looks like he's going to be a right handful for SPL defences this year. I'm very excited by the thought of a fully fit Hayes and Doran on the wings running at defenders and putting crosses into the box.

Foran had a good game I thought. Once again very hard working, never gave up and always wants to win. I think he suits playing just of the striker and there were a few times when he was being played in slightly too late by his team mates. Another sign that the team are still gelling and getting used to each others styles of play. Tade is a real hard worker. He doesn't know when to give up and I think his attitude will make him a favourite with us all. He played well today, perhaps won't score 15/20 but with the right striker beside him, he'll create goals and cause chaos in oppositions defence.

Overall, I'm very excited by the team that TB has put together. For years we have longed to see an attacking, exciting ICT team and I think that it just what we will be getting this season. The team seem determined to get forward as a team and attack. I left the stadium disappointed today that we lost but also very encouraged by the new players and the exciting style of football that was on show today.

Lets just give these guys time to gel and i'm sure we're going to see a very successful ICT team this season pushing towards the top six. ictscarf.gif

• Agree 1

Guest Mahonio

This match was the 1st i have been down to since last September due to work.

I thought the match was very entertaining and atmosphere was good :twothumbsup:.

We had numerous chances to score and really should have had at least TWO penalties, the ref was diabolical imo. I thought that Esson deserved his man of the match award as he did save us a few times during the game :twothumbsup:. In the player of the match thread, Esson would get 5, Tudur Jones 3 and Tade 1 from me.

I am surprised that nobody mentioned the NUTCASE that went onto pitch after O'Connor scored, that was totally unacceptable but because it was Hibs, nothing will likely happen, yet if it was an Old Firm fan, they would get slammed for it.

I have to remark that this is the best post match thread in a long, long time with some concise and accurate perceptions which also are focussed on performances and tactics. May have to start a thread about Adam Rooney as some people dont appear to realise that he wont be playing this season alongside Messrs Munro and Duncan.

That was a big improvement on pre season and Motherwell. Terry has bought well with Doh a Deer plugging the problematic rite back slot and Tentpole Tudor looking good in the defensive midfield slot. I am looking forward to have a look at McKay as I am still worried about the forward line and I am really not sure that Djebi Tade fites the bill.

Tactically we were far more organised and held a good shape especially when Doran entered the frame. There is still evidence - naturally - that the team has not gelled and that backs up TB's concern that the season started too soon. We certainly have not had any rub of the green and we could have notched six goals yesterday - including two penalties - and on one subject that I usually swerve but - the officials yesterday were terrible and cost us the game although I did feel that Hayes went down to easy fer the late goal.

ESSON :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: Got the sponsors MOM and thoroughly deserved it. Has started off this season as he ended the last. I said that we could have scored six but so could Hibs - if not for Esson - three saves which were out of the top drawer.

DOH A DEER :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: He looks like one of the most talented defenders that we have ever signed and I cant wait to see what he is like when he gels and gets fitter.

ALDRED :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: Immense in the air and did well against Gary Methadone but still tends to stray out of position and out of line - noticeable yesterday that Esson was giving him some gip which will only help. Great to see somebody who plays the ball out of defence,

ROSSCOE :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: Are you Grant Munro in disguise ? I am afraid that we could be looking at the axing of a Legend when Hogg gets fit.

GILLET :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: I though that he was good going forward and what a defensive block in the first half. But he is another who gets out of position and you cant do that at left back. Aint seen any replays but was he culpable for the goal alongside Hayes

ROSS :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: Very bad day at the office but Nick evidently prefers the centre of midfield AND please dont play him on the left. Suspect that Doran will start at Dumbfarmlife and also feel that Andrew Shinnie may be number 2 in the wide man pecking list.

TENTPOLE TUDOR :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: A competent, promising and no nonsense introduction and I suspect that he was told to sit yesterday and we got little vision of what he could do going forward - especially for dead ball situations. May be a real find when he gels, especially if it is interlinking with Tansey.

TANSEY :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: I actually think that he is trying too hard - if ya get ma drift. Suggest that he slows down a bit and uses his napper instead of the adrenaline surges. Once he gets a goal - and he is the one that has really deserved it - then he will only get better.

HAYES :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: I fear that Terry and Mo have told Hayes that he will be the main man this season and that has affected him. When we started looking for Doran instead of looking for Johnny all the time - even from feckin Esson kick outs !! - we looked like a dangerous outfit and Johnny was a team player. Can we have the less arrogant Johnny Hayes back please. And he allowed himself to be bullied at the goal,

FORAN :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: I still feel that he is wasted up front and now not too sure if he should be El Capitano. Sure he should bawl at the rest but he also needs to concentrate on his own game and his positioning and concentration went several times yesterday as he preferred to remonstrate at officials and peers. Put hayes further up and Foran back wide left please.

DJEBI TADE :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: Dont get me wrong but Lionel Gregory will run and run and run and will hassle and hassle and hassle and will look good fer that but he is not a footballer and he will not score goals. He may get assists but not with Richie beside him so will be interesting how he gels with McKay. Good man to have in the squad though.

SUTHERLAND :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: Am I alone in thinking that he is so frustrating and one game / minute he looks like the real thing and the next NOT. Could have / should have scored with his first touch. I was hoping that he would be the main man up front this season and I actually think that we should persist with him.

DORAN :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: His introduction almost won us the game and wasnt it great to see Aaaron and Johnny hugging the touchlines and Hibees had no answers. The only criticism was his final pass / cross (as could be said about Hayes and Tansey) and he is evidently not match ready - but when he is we will progress.

TERRY AND MO :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: Have learned their lessons and changed the system and the tactics and have possibly picked up two of the best signings that we have done in ages - possibly three if Hogg gels as well.

• Agree 3

To be honest in the first half I thought it was more like Djebi Gillet...some slice in the first minute....had a poor game but did make one great last ditch block that prevented Hibs from taking an early lead.

Will have better games....as will others who played yesterday ;-)

It's a sickener! ICT seem to awfully susceptible to the late goal, ever since they were formed, but on the whole, despite the defeat there was noticeably some potential in that team. I was impressed by the all the new signings myself. Piermayr looked strong and composed (and miles better than Proctor!) and Tansey seemed confident on the ball a la Ian Black, but taller, stronger and without the violence! Jones is the big man in the middle that was needed and looks a real find. I must say though, that I thought Aldred looked really good. He was strong and good on the ball. I was also really impressed with Tade. He reminds of Graham Bayne in some ways - maybe won't score that many, but works hard and will always will always be a pain to the opposition defence. It's also nice to see a player who is not just fast, but strong and tall as well - something we've never really seen at this club.

Hayes, Tokely and Gillet all seemed a little rusty but their time will come again. Foran started quiet but came into it more as time went on. I have to disagree though with those who say he's better out wide - he isn't - I much prefer him down the middle. As mentioned previously, Nick Ross was rubbish and should of been hooked at half time - Doran made the world of difference when he came on.

One thing I will say though, was the only mistake I think Butcher and Malpas made was taking off Tade for Sutherland. While Sutherland is a good player, I thought Tade was playing well and the team were perhaps more likely to score with him in it.

All in all, disappointed at the defeat, but one win and I think ICT will be up and running again. There's potential in this team and it could turn out to be a very big season indeed.

No despondency, just frustratingly disappointed.

Think most posters have got it spot on. We look like we now have the nucleus of a decent squad and with a bit more cohesion could have a better than average season. Plenty of pluses and only a couple of disappointments. Frustrating to lose the late goal when Jonny was mugged three quarters of the way up the pitch, dubious challenge but that's life.

Nick Ross was the biggest disappointment after a pretty good season last year. I was expecting more but he was possibly the least effective he has been since hitting the first eleven. That is possibly down to the new arrivals and stiff competition for his slot which means he will need to work round others. He is talented, that's not in dispute, but he needs to show real commitment to overcome his uncertainty and take charge of the situation. Doran was much more composed when he entered the arena and should start next week surely.

Gillet, one block apart was a little shaky, which took us back a year or two, he better watch out or G Shinnie will take his place. I was disappointed that Shane never started but Tade will hopefully come good.

Disagree with IHE marks for Foran, I thought he was our best player winning every ball in the air, should have done better with the shot over the bar and his moaning should be cut adrif, otherwise, he looked the likeliest of our players to open the scoring.

Piermayr and 10Pole look like footballers, real footballers and Tansey and Aldred did nothing wrong.

Rossco did his Rossco thing, again I thought he was OK, no better or worse than the other defenders, but Esson will be disappointed at losing the goal to a dragged shot.

Overall impressions, we could be onto something here. :twothumbsup:

ESSON - pulled off some very good saves, was very worried about him when he took a knock. Shame about his mistake for the goal. 7/10

PIERMAYR - had a great debut and has surely taken that right back position for himself. Defended well and was also good getting forward. 7/10

TOKELY - did what he needed to do but did struggle at times in that centre back position. 6/10

ALDRED - won pretty much every header and looked solid at the back. One thing for sure is hogg will not be replacing him. Very impressed with the "tank" 7/10

GILLETT - I thought he was our poorest player by far. Looked shaky and uncomfortable against sproule but did do a tremendous tackle in the first half. 5/10

JONES - also had a great debut and controlled the game at times! Some of his passing is world class. 8/10

TANSEY- looked pretty good but was quiet at times. Don't know how many chances he missed but overall a not bad performance. 7/10

HAYES - thought he was very poor by his standards today. He will come at it but this match was not his day. Made the mistake for the goal. 6/10

ROSS - another who was off the pace but will also come at it. He just didn't do much. 6/10

FORAN - if I'm honest he was by far MOM. Thought he was absolutely brilliant and led the team like a true captain. I think goals will come for him yet. 9/10

TADE - worked his socks off and chased every lost cause. He looks like a very good signing but will take time to settle. 7/10

Pretty much agree with most that has been said. makings of a good team coming together and a much more open attacking style of play looks like it is on the cards this season.

As other posters have said, the team needs time to gel in all areas of the team but my first impressions are positive and I sure goals will come. I wasn't at the Motherwell game so don't know if our defensive performance improved from that game but after a shakey start yesterday they improved. However, Gilet was poor defensively, as he looks to be when faced with a winger and only his peed and tenacity helps him out. He also seems to have little positional sense at times and gets sucked infield far too much. I also thought Tokely did not have one of his best ganes, reasonably solid defensively but "Munroesque" distribution. At least now, there is compettition is most areas of the team so players have to be on top of their game.

Onwards and upwards!

Just watched the highlights back and would say that ICT were perhaps hard done by in not getting at least one penalty -

1. First half tackle on Tade - That might be a penalty actually, as he does perhaps get a slight clip from behind. Seen them given.

2. Second half hand ball - Definitely hits the Hibs' players arm, there's no doubt about that and I did see the referee look at his linesman for quite a long time before making his mind up. Don't think it was deliberate though but then again, I have seen them given.

3. Second half tackle on Foran - Definitely doesn't get the ball and goes clattering into Foran. He was the last man as well, so would've definitely been off. Stonewaller in my opinion.

So there you go. IMO the last claim was definitely justified and I think was a penalty. The other two are in the "maybe" category, but I have seen similar incidents been given.

I think Djebi Tabe falls over for the first claim to be honest. But the second two are blatant. I was fuming at the game when they weren't given and having seen them again I feel it highlights nothing has changed. Disgraceful decisions.