ICT v Hibernian: Matchday Thread

Gringo

Listening to TB on the radio before the game he seemed to suggest that his transfer business for this window is finished with and he was delighted with this weeks captures.

All that being said I believe we need an out and out striker, someone to score the 20-30 goals a season that we need in all competitions and judging by what I heard today we lacked that rather than lacking the chances.

It's so disappointing to lose the game with the last kick of the ball almost and in the 93rd minute, a new season but still unable to see a half out until the very end.

Edited by MrCaleyjag

I'm sure or hopeful that if they were offered someone that was of a standard to improve the team then they would seriously look at him but reading from what he said it's like he was happy with the business done and maybe take a step back from actively looking. It's not to say though that things won't happen.

We have brought in ten new players though, at what point do you say enough is enough and start concentrating on what you have?

If that's the shopping finished then we are ******, unless Mckay produces the goods.

Jesus, overreaction or what???

Overall many positives from a team who are still to learn how to play with each other.

Positives - Tudor Jones and Piermayr both look cracking captures with Tansey also contributing in spells. We created a number of chances

Negatives - Lack of composure in front of goal (match fitness should hopefully change this), Aldred is sound in the air but needs more agression when the ball is on the ground - at this level you simply cannot back off from a distance as a centre half (Hogg should be fit enough for next week though), Hayes still getting caught in possession in bad areas (suppose this is the curse of attacking players) and Officials (four sound penalty claims and a linesman who could not see a ball a yard over the line - even the referee 25 yards out could see this).

Otherwise frustrating to lose a game like this. I think the shot was even going wide till Esson got an unluckly glove on it.

• Agree 5

How on earth did we contrive to lose that game? Aside from a bright opening 20mins from Hibs it was all us, and we managed to squander enough chances to win three matches - Foran and Tade in the first half, and then Aldred and Tansey (twice) in the second half, all contrived to miss glorious opportunities. After Doran came on it was complete one way traffic towards the Hibs goal. Gutted for Esson, who made some brilliant stops - including one with his chin in the first half - but who might feel he should have kept out O'Connor's goal.

Lots of positives to take from it - but the problem is undoubtedly in front of goal where, at the moment, we are really struggling to take our chances.

As for the referee today - well, I remember Steve Conroy having a shocker officiating our defeat against Aberdeen in January, and he didn't improve on that performance today, especially when he ignored Foran being practically "hugged" to the ground in the box in the second half. I don't see why he gets ?840 a game - most other clowns don't get nearly as much, and they have to put up with the daft makeup.

Sucker punched in 93 mins - got caught on the break after trying to still get a winner. First half performance was pretty poor - second half was a lot better and lots of positives. Doran and Sutherland fought hard when they came on and Tade and Foran battled well but both faded as game went on. Hibs though are truly awful....

Also had Tansey as first scorer - how he didn't I don't know. Also not sure about some of the penalty shouts but Hibs defending was fairly cynical at times....

Feck me..... what a shyte end to a shyte game.

Hibs deserved feckall now i've got get a train to enbra oh feckin dear... never mind

Thought Nick was knacked, tade was tedious, and Tansey was a pansey.....

The rest got pass marks but where the feck are we going to get someone to put a ball in the net!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disappointing and unfortunate to lose but I am pretty impressed with the new signings:

• Tudur-Jones - Absolute class, best player on the pitch by a mile. Even more impressive when you think that was the first time he has played with us. How he is not able to get into a championship side is beyond me.
  • Piermayr - Pretty solid at the back - again looked a proper player. Started getting forward second half and looked like he will easily fill the problem RB position.
  • Tansey - I thought he was quiet, especially 1st half. Second half came a lot more into the game and was much more involved. Nice little touches and I think him and Tudur-Jones will end up keeping Cox out of the team. Which, in one way is a pity as I like Cox (harhar) but on the other highlights that our first 11 is a lot stronger than some people are giving us credit for.
  • Tade - I was impressed. Absolute workhorse and knows how to use his strength. Alright, he had moments of clumsiness but he more than made up for it with his workethic and positioning, Thought he had a strong claim for a penalty in the first half. Him and Foran will get goals, no worries about that.
  • Aldred - Can only repeat what has been said already - needs to come out to people more and not back off as much. Took a bollocking from Butcher earlier which did seem to steady him. Be interesting to see if Hogg comes straight back in next week. One thing in Aldred's favour is that he is a lot more composed on the ball than Hogg.

Foran was destroyed by the end, i think they would have been there for the taking if Foran had had the legs for the last 5. Gillet looked a bit nervy I thought, hopefully just needs a few games.

Overall, I am a lot more hopeful for the season after seeing the team today. I can see the central midfield getting goals, Ross was getting a few in preseason, himself, Hayes and Doran are always going to create chances and given time I can see Tade and Foran working well up top. Plus we still have Mackay to come in who had a very decent strikerate down south.

Im not too worried yet. You cant put 10 new players together and expect them to hit the ground running. Its gonna take a wee while to gel and understand each others game. Im sure it will come good in the next half dozen gmes or so :) and remember, ICT, HISTORICALLY speaking....are notoriously slow starters!

• Agree 4

Hibs never deserved to win that not in a million years, neither did we though tbh. 3 or 4 great chances in or around the 6 yard box and we missed them all, if we don't sharpen up and take chances like that then we are going to struggle cos Hibs were pretty poor. That said we should have had a penalty. Hayes and Doran looked hungry in addition Tade and Foran worked hard. Thought Tokley and Gillet in particular looked sloppy, some of our passing was awful (as was Hibs')

Here's hoping players gel and sharpen up soon because on that showing, we are lacking sharpness at the back and someone to poach goals in the box.

Feels like we were robbed but Hibs had as many if not more decent chances to score than us.

Couple of the new signings looked promising and others less so but early days and will need to see more of them to form a definitive opinion.

Until we start scoring and putting points on the board I'm going to remain slightly concerned though

A poor start but still much improved from last weekend. We missed easy chances. Not a fan of the ref today and he did make poor decisions but we shouldn't be blaming him for us getting no points!

Hibs were bound to win here sometime but today they did not deserve it at all.

We looked much better, compared to last week. We moved the ball well, we got lots crosses in and on another day we would have put 2 or 3 of those chances in. Tudor Jones caught my eye especially, composed and strong in the tackle, looks an excellent signing. Tade was also much imrpoved on last week. Looked fitter, stronger and worked his socks off till he was hooked. Ross for me was as poor as ive ever seen him. Think Doran will be worthy of a starting place next week. Agreed with many that another striker is needed. Foran cant play 90 minutes, nor can Tade. While Shane is good he is just another battering ram. I know we are yet to see McKay but to me someone else is needed.

Defence for me was again weak. Piermayr i thought was excellent but the rest were average, Gillet in paticular had a real stinker. Aldred had his good moments but i would have Hogg back in the heart of defence for a bit of leadership and experience.

Steve Conroy - what an erse. Foran was wrestled to the ground and then later was taken out as he prepared to shoot. Dont see how they could be missed.

Gutted by result today.. If we had taken one of several chances and the ref had not been on their side.. things would have been very different. Tudor-Jones looked so good though... he made some lovely passes, had vision and looked really strong, why we didn't push him up for corners i don't know his height and strength could have made areal difference in the box.

thought we were quite poor first half. hibs could have been 2-0 up at break.

Esson excellent display

Piermayr looked ok needs to get throw ins away much faster

Tokely days may be numbered replaced by hogg next week i hope

Aldred won most of his headers

Gillet worst player in team. shocking first touch which resulted in him having to hoof ball away. can't/ does'nt kick with right foot. caused a couple of problems

with sliced clearances and pathetic pass backs to esson. replaced by shinnie next week

Ross totally innefective out right. will be better if playing behind striker. rightly hooked

Jones nice touch and some good passing. looks slow and cumbersome. thank goodness he is 6ft 3ins as he does not seem to be able to jump off the ground

was struggling to win midfield headers against smaller players because of this. hopefully when match fit will be an asset to team

Tansey not convinced. will wait and see

Hayes never thought i would ever say this, my hero had a shocking display. first touch pathetic, tripping over ball, running and not been able to take ball with him.

this eventually cost us the match when he lost posseion for hibs to break away and score winner. may be a bench player this season

Foran tried his best

Tade great energy. was causing hibs problems. surprised he was hooked

dorran man of the match for the time he was on. good pace. pity he did'nt have a go a couple of times. turned game in our favour. if only we could have taken one

chance

may take a few games for team gel. next week becomes a must win. losing becomes a habbit. .

worrying on todays display that we dont have anyone who is a natural finisher. we will definately not have a player who can score 20 plus goals this season

• Disagree 2

Whilst you may well find it hard to go top 6 without a striker who can score 20 ish a season. Many bottom 6 clubs often don't have that kind of player because decent strikers command bigger money, many seasons Saint Mirren have struggled to score twenty goals as a team, but good defending & stuffy play has kept them up. We have players who can score goals, yes Rooney is a big loss.. but I think once our players are a bit sharper these chances will start to get converted. A new striker is a want rather than a need...