terry butcher for gers boss if mcCoist fails

0007ranger

Before this thread gets moved to thd Rumour Mill, I'd say put your money where your mouth is and get a wedge on it. Very surprised McCoist was appointed in the first place. I'm giving McCoist another 8 games max. Rangers fans love Terry.

His name would be linked through media speculation and people on forums such as pie and bovril speculating. The only truth in the original post is probably the poster or one of his / her friends stating that they want Butcher and then the rumours spread that Bucther may be going to Rangers. I don't think they'd go for him anyway.

If, and its a big if, Mccoist was punted this early in his managerial career then its only logical to assume that TB would be right up there in terms of speculation ... along with the likes of McCall and/or others.

If the position was available, I can see him being interested - after all he is an Ibrox legend - just as he would probably be interested if Ipswich came calling, but the big question is whether he would be prepared for the mayhem a move back to the Glasgow Goldfish Bowl would involve. All the crap that Lennon endured last season might just put him off.

He recently commented in an article about how happy he was up here, how picturesque his commute to work was and such like. He is probably the manager with the safest job in the SPL right now and that also counts for something. He pretty much has free reign to do as he pleases at the TCS and his opinion carries a lot more weight than it might do in the corridors at Ibrox where he would just be another cog in the wheel ... an important one, but just a cog nonetheless.

If I were a betting man, I would suggest that Ally would try to enlist the help of Walter as a "consultant" (in the background) long before he would lose his job.

Breath of fresh highland air - above the loch ness hills - scenic beauty of the journey to work along the loch every day of the year - rolling into the stadium aside the beauty of the moray firth - discussing tactics with`fritz` his pet dog along dochgarroch way - the people of the north - the players - the potential here - a committed & successful future a peaceful & happy one - nope think my bets safe enuff.

I happen to think that Butcher would be interested in taking over Rangers, after all they are his team, along with Ipswich and I can't see him turning either of those jobs down. My hunch actually is that he might actually be away sooner than some might imagine - I can't see him being a Guy Roux/Jim McLean character myself.

Edited by Renegade

Why do people think Rangers are Butchers team? Yes he played for them but so did many others. Had he not broken his leg at the start of his second season at Rangers he'd have gone of to Man U. Terry Butcher is Ipswich through and through. The team he followed his father in supporting.

Having said that I'm sure he'd maybe think about the job were he offered it though I dont think he'd do any better than McCoist will given that there seems to be a lack of cash and committment at the Bronx to bring in the calibre of player needed for european challenges. McCoist will have them challenging for SPL but his european exploits will die at the first hurdle, as has been seem already, because his team of pensioners are not anywhere near good enough for that competition.

If the job becomes vacant then I dont think Butcher or McCall or any of those others mentioned will even be offered it. The board at Rangers must realise they need to bring in a much higher calibre of manager and player to be seen as real contenders again.

going to move this discussion to "other football" .... it is not a rumour, or at least not a bonafide one, and all we are doing is helping to create one where none previously existed.