Sky TV, broadband and line rental

MrCaleyjag

Myself and Caleyjag have managed to get ourselves in the position where we have been able to buy our first house and are therefore furiously arranging everything for our move next weekend. I thought that I would post this to help people out when it comes to possibly selecting what digital tv package to get and with who along with broadband and telephone line rental.

Up until now I have been convinced that having digital tv, broadband and line rental was the cheapest and most efficient way to have them all but after my recent discussions and problems with Sky I am not so sure. Up until two days ago I had all three with them and while we pay a fair whack each month it was actually cheaper than having all three seperate, I filled out the online moving home form 31 days in advance of the move and received the usual email then a call two days later to advise that all was ok for the engineer to visit on our selected day to fit the digi boxes in the rooms we wanted.

Great I thought but what about the phone line and broadband? Mr attitude at the other end of the phone informed me that the line rental would need to be cancelled and takes 14 days to cancel down and the broadband cancels at the same time but takes 4/5 days!! Then when we move into the new house would take a further 14 days for new line to become active, not a happy chappy was I so decided not to cancel the line rental at that time. I called them three days ago to cancel the telephone line giving them the 14 days they required and was informed the broadband takes 7 days to cancel down and also the phone number we have for the house will be lost, we need to get a new one when we move. As well as this I was informed that the engineer visit actually hadn't been arranged at all contrary to what I had been told.

Effectively we will be without broadband for nearly 3 weeks and no phone line for 2 weeks, in effect by having all three products with one company has meant we do not have all three products running up until we move. It turns out I would have been better arranging to have digital with Sky, the phone line with say BT and broadband with say Orange meaning I could arrange all three terminations seperately to coincide with the day we move out then arrange the reconnections for when we move in seperately too. All the tosh with having it with one company was nonsense and actually made it worse for us.

To think on their website they say that they recognise moving home can be very stressful so let them take the stress out of it by arranging the whole move hassle free!!! What a lot of nonsense, suffice to say MyCJ was not a happy bunny and is seriously thinking about not going back to Sky for broadband and line rental even if it is cheaper and better.

If you are expecting to move house in the future make sure you know the down times for products before you take out the deal as you may just be left in limbo for a while during your move, the very time when a telephone line and internet access is most needed what with solicitors and banks and stuff to be dealing with.

The guy on the phone three days ago even admitted it was a poor service and they were actively working to improve it, why the advertise it the way you do when in reality it actually isn't that easy. and why not make people aware of all this when they take out the deals or make it visible online for all to see on the moving home page.

• Agree 1

I had thought about that but tbh Caleyjag wouldn't have it, the thought of Sky turning round and saying ok then fair enough sorry your leaving and football on our tv coming to a stop for a while wouldn't go down well at all. I have left quite a strong complaint with them and currently now only have the tv deal so if I decide to go back for phone/broadband when I move I will see what they say.

I'll post again when I call back to let you know what happens.

My experience with Sky is that you can complain as much as you like and nobody really cares....ask to speak to someone who can cancel your account and they're tripping over themselves to make you change your mind.

Just recently we wanted to add another multi-room package and get upgraded to HD....they were going to charge us for the new box, the upgraded box and installation. I wasn't willing to pay that, especially given the fact we are on full package with one multi-room package already and have been with them for as long as I can remember. They weren't budging on the phone over the charges so I told them not to bother and to put a notice to quit on the account as we'd just move to BT Vision as we didn't actually use most of the channels we subscribed too anyway...."one moment sir, I'll just check with my colleague if there's a way around this for you"....2 minutes later and they can suddenly lose all the charges.

Being on a roll I decided to push my luck and asked them to downgrade my subscriptions anyway...."What I can do for you there sir is give you movies and sport free for the next 6 months, if after that time you still wish to cancel them you can get back to us".

Ended up with HD, the extra multi-room, the new boxes and retained the full package and it's actually going to cost less for 6 months than what we were paying.

its the same over here

We get our High Speed Internet, Cable TV, and Mobile Phones from "Rogers" and the experiences are pretty much comparable.

My next "debate" with them will likely be in Sep/Oct, or whenever the new iPhone is released .... We upgraded the missus to a Blackberry Torch earlier in the year and although we have separate mobile numbers and separate data plans (as mine is so good), our voice plan is a couples plan where we share minutes .... so this means that when i go to upgrade my phone, they will tell me I am not eligible as its been less than a year since we upgraded one of the phones.

I'm still running an old 3G which I have had for nearly 3 years now, and which is no longer supported by apple in the OS updates, but I know that to begin with they (rogers) will tell me I cant get the upgrade price, I will have to pay full price. Thats OK though ... As I have had it so long, I know I can cancel with no penalty and if I had to I would do so and switch it all to Bell who now offer Fibre Optic TV and Internet in our area as well as home phone and mobile phone...... dont really want to switch as my data plan (6Gb per month for $30) is better than anything out there right now, but mention those magic words "move to Bell", and also ask them to justify a denial of upgrade on an "end of life" phone and I am sure "customer retention" department will be on the case .......

I can back that up with my experience of BT. To many people on here BT is a joke which is why Sky, TalkTalk etc are successful. However I have periodically threatened to leave BT and as CD says they are falling over themselves to hang on to you.

Last spring they dropped my Broadband to only ?5 a month (from ?20) for the next year as I said I was going to TalkTalk. I also got caller display added and they were quick to tell me all the things on TalkTalk such as that, which would cost extra.

I never really wanted to leave anyway and I hear TalkTalk's service can be rubbish anyway. In my long experience, BT is great, apart from price, and when you have to call their support :amazed:

Once you've been all the way round the Indian sub-continent they finally put you through to somebody on Tyneside and you're sorted in 3 mins.

The only reason I am not with BT for the phone line and internet is due to having previous issues with them and I said back then they would never get my money again.

Saying that Sky are trying my patience severly. Finally we have had a date for the activation of our line and broadband, the 19th Sept!!! So from registering for the home move on the 25/26th July and moving on the 26th August it takes until the 19th Sept to have the line active. Overall a total of roughly 8 weeks (55 days total) to sort something that should have taken 14 days before we moved and 14 days after we moved.

Got BT since moving back to Inverness, service is ok so long as you don't actually have to deal with them, internet speed is awful tho at 1.3Mbps. Down to my 'huge' distance to the exchange (under 3 miles). I really do miss ntl/virgin cable from when I lived in Glasgow always found their speed, service and price to be excellent. Wish that they were available up here as a real alternative to BT lines.

IAM WITH BT NEVER had a problem with connection but price is pretty steep, but dont watnto move to someone cheaper incase service is affected

BT is expensive and any time you phone them they extend your contract. Utility Warehouse are excellent for phone and broadband and better still if you add your electricity and gas which are always cheaper than the 'Big six'.

Check out my site at My link for more information. If you can use the cashback card properly and to it's full advantage you can end up with a very low bill and even a negative amount.

PM me if you need more information.

Oh and the service can't be affected as it's the same lines and it would still be BT engineers who would be called out to fix any problems. The big benefit is that you are never tied into a contract with Utility Warehouse, so if you're not happy at any time you can move. They have enough confidence in their products that customers stay of their own free will so they don't need contracts.

Unfortunately as of now they don't do TV, but Gas, Electric, phone, broadband and mobile phones are worth a look.