Ayr v ICT matchnight thread

Yngwie

Of the 16 squad players tonight that Terry picked 14 of them were in some form or another brought in by him either through transfers or through the youth ranks, of these 14 players I am sure they have been picked very carefully from hundreds of others as he feels they can bring something individually and collectively to the team.

At the moment individually it looks like the players do have enough to be in the team but unfortunately we just cannot put it together and there is not one person that isn't as down or embarressed about this result than Terry himself and he sounded very down beat in his interview, he of anyone will be feeling very let down as these are his players.

For this reason alone I know that he will get them to gell together as a team, I am not sure what attitude he should adopt as would screaming and ranting help when players are at an all time low and most are quite young or does he look to his experienced players to get the young ones through it and step up to the fore. I am in no doubt he let them know just what this performance and result means and the effects it will have however at the same time I would hope that the players put it firmly to bed and move on quick sharp and I am sure this will be his message to them.

No matter what the cup was tonight we really should have won, but looking at our early season form we were there for the taking tonight and ayr knew it. We have 8 first team injuries along with some new players. The next few weeks are going to be tough but we have to stick in there. A few players back and some points on the board will def change the mood. I am fully behind Terry and co and hate the instant calls for his head and such like. We have been in decent league positions and not so good ones. Look at killie last year they started poor and finished well up the league. Let's be patient for a bit longer and maybe the right team selection will be found and hopefully a new striker will be added before the window closes.

• Agree 1

One of the problems at the moment is the players who have come in are finding the style and pace of Scottish football difficult to get to grips with. I also think thats part of the reason for so many injuries. Those who came last year and before that had the same problems. I'm sure they will all get to grips with it soon.

Before tonite I said that I would willingly sacrifice a cup run as long as any experimenting was in a positive and encouraging manner. I will hold back a wee bit until we know more about the system and the positioning.

Tuffey in goals was a no brainer - Hogg and Golobart was sensible - retaining Morrison and installing Shane was what most peeple wanted - playing Hayes and Doran was also what most people wanted. Only potential "gaffe" would have been playing Rosscoe in midfield and/or moving Shinnie forward - that could only have been done to make a place for Rosscoe. Very surprised that Ross wasnt started and where was Tansey.

Lets face it - Terry went with a selection that most of us would have gone for in the main. We have no god forgiven rite to expect to beat the likes of Ayr - especially away from home in midweek.

Unfortunately this has been a further confidence sapping experience. Killie is now a total feckin must win.

Is butcher untouchable? If we go down this season will he be here next year?

The fact of the matter is, no he isn't and nor should he be, though he seems to be in some people's eyes. Getting rid of Duncan was daft and getting rid of Munro was particularly stupid and the team is not as good without them. While I am not calling for his head, perhaps with this result and this start to the season, he should ask himself whether he has taken this club as far as he can. Kind of reminds me of the old Bela Guttman adage - "The third season is the killer". Perhaps that rings true in this case too.

• Disagree 2

Terry from BBC Sport:

Inverness manager Terry Butcher: "It's a real low point for me. I have no excuses - Ayr deserved to win the game, they had other chances as well as the one they scored and they fully deserved it.

"I take full responsibility as that's my job, and I can only apologise to our fans that we badly let down.

"We can't have any excuse tonight and the players have been told that - it's totally unacceptable from our point of view.

"I spoke from the start about attitude, getting the ball and passing it and winning the battle first, and Ayr were the ones who did that."

First of all, a big hank you to Harry. A round of drinks on the house for all the Caley Thistle fans in the bar! :twothumbsup: (all 4 of us). Fantastic hospitality. Another thank you to Steve at Harrys other bar who gaves us all free shots after the game and supplied us with our carry out for the train back to Glasgow!:twothumbsup:

Work beckons for me at 9 but i'd thought i'd post my comments before I collapse into bed. One word for tonight... pish! Absolutely pish! We didn't deserve anything and we were all over the place. I praised Roman after the Aberdeen game (despite the mistake) but he was dire tonight. He looked lost and struggled to string a pass together. (i'm picking him out because he is new and naturally folk want to hear how he played). However he wasn't the only one to have a howler. Where do i start with the performances?! To keep it brief, i'd say that the players that played well were:

Tokely. Played great in midfield and had a shot hit the post.

Tade. Came on with about 12 minutes to go and made a few good passes and got into a few good positions. Best i've ever seen him play.

Other than that, most of the team huffed and puffed away and did feck all. Tuffey had a good save in the 1st half and could do nothing about the goal. Other than that, he had nothing much to do.

What concerned me the most is the lack of ergency, Or first subsitution was with 12 minutes to go and for the whole match we played with just 1 up front. At full time, the players trudged off with heads held down and apart from Tokely and Butcher (and maybe one more) none of them acknowledged the fans.

There were 22 fans in the away terracing and 14 in the stand. Thank feck I got a free ticket.

Lack of urgency--that is what I think is part pof the problem too.

I saw the Champions' League game last night of Villa Real versus Odense and every player on each team went nuts wnenever a ball came to the,--none of this poking it forwrd to admire it then looking up to see who is available etc. before deciding who to pass it to. The ball either went with them at full speed down the poark or was delivered very hard to the intended player. The pace of that game was very high indeed and the sens eof urgency and immediacy was alwys there. Terry I think you may have mad an awful bloomer by getting rid of the core of this team with such haste.

But good luck anyway. I will repeat my prediction --not much improvement until game 13 has passed.

Sir Terry just hasn't the strength in depth in the squad just now - we do need a couple of signings, especially a striker. The SPL is going to be tough for us this season. A win against that other Ayrshire team on Saturday would sure give us a lift.

Keep calm and carry on.

:ictscarf:

Worst game I have seen since the days of Brewster's return. I think it's far too early to start complaining about Terry, he has an injury list as long as his arm and there still is the need to gel, but we can't string three passes together and why we think we need to pass into the net is beyond me. I don't mind being beaten by Ayr at all, but the manner of the defeat was just awful.

Also surprised at the stats. We had 18 attempts on goal? Really???

Sir Terry just hasn't the strength in depth in the squad just now - we do need a couple of signings, especially a striker. The SPL is going to be tough for us this season. A win against that other Ayrshire team on Saturday would sure give us a lift.

Keep calm and carry on.

:ictscarf:

^ This

Getting rid of Butcher at the moment is a frankly ridiculous suggestion as is taking the club as far as he can. Ok we've had a shocking start to the season, but is up there with the best 2 managers we've had in Pele and Robertson. To my mind Pele in particular was the king of the slow start. There are always 1 or 2 people on here desperate for negative things to happen to try and bulk out they're conspiracy and forcasts of doom at every poor result. We have had a lot of injuries to first team players and we've been stripped of a 20+ a season striker. Any team in the SPL would struggle to score goals without them.

Yes we do need a good striker, but like Wenger says, if there was a shop he could go in and get them he would. But there isn't, and if there was we'd be in poundland and even then the sale section!

its a very frustrating start to the season but bar last night we haven't been anywhere near playing Brewster-esque football!

Woeful! There are no excuses. Stop using injuries as a reason for that performance. If Foran was angry at his own performance at Aberdeen then god knows how he feels after that rubbish! Beaten by the best off 2 terrible teams and that team is a poor SFL1 team.

Got to feel sorry to Tuffy. That's his last game until January in the Scottish Cup.

• Agree 1

First of all, a big hank you to Harry. A round of drinks on the house for all the Caley Thistle fans in the bar! :twothumbsup: (all 4 of us). Fantastic hospitality. Another thank you to Steve at Harrys other bar who gaves us all free shots after the game and supplied us with our carry out for the train back to Glasgow!:twothumbsup:

Work beckons for me at 9 but i'd thought i'd post my comments before I collapse into bed. One word for tonight... pish! Absolutely pish! We didn't deserve anything and we were all over the place. I praised Roman after the Aberdeen game (despite the mistake) but he was dire tonight. He looked lost and struggled to string a pass together. (i'm picking him out because he is new and naturally folk want to hear how he played). However he wasn't the only one to have a howler. Where do i start with the performances?! To keep it brief, i'd say that the players that played well were:

Tokely. Played great in midfield and had a shot hit the post.

Tade. Came on with about 12 minutes to go and made a few good passes and got into a few good positions. Best i've ever seen him play.

Other than that, most of the team huffed and puffed away and did feck all. Tuffey had a good save in the 1st half and could do nothing about the goal. Other than that, he had nothing much to do.

What concerned me the most is the lack of ergency, Or first subsitution was with 12 minutes to go and for the whole match we played with just 1 up front. At full time, the players trudged off with heads held down and apart from Tokely and Butcher (and maybe one more) none of them acknowledged the fans.

There were 22 fans in the away terracing and 14 in the stand. Thank feck I got a free ticket.

The same thing happened in Aberdeen on Saturday, Caleyjag and myself stayed down the front and clapped everyone off expecting them all to do the same and only Terry and Richie even acknowledged we were there, yes they were down and disappointed but at least make some sort of half hearted effort to thank the fans for travelling to the game and acknowledge they were there. We clapped you off until you were down the tunnel, give us the respect we gave you!!

Just tipifies the atmosphere and belief that there is within the squad right now, most of them looked sorry for themselves rather than rallying round each other. On Saturday the only player to go over to Golabart after the mistake/goal was Richie, what happened to our team spirit and team loyalty, they need to start rallying as a team and that means sticking together with themselves and with the fans also.