Celtic looking into standing area

PaderbornCaley

Celtic are conducting a feasability study into a standing area at Parkhead. They'll need to get around the ridiculous SPL rules, but hats off to them for trying. Now THIS is the kind of thing to get people back to Scottish football, not relegating a quarter of the league.

http://sport.stv.tv/...at-celtic-park/

I would hope that ICT would be one of the clubs to vote in favour of this should it get that far .....

the Germans have shown it can be done, even to the extent of still being compliant with all seated rules for UEFA competitions ...... could common sense be about to break out ?

post-2-0-22803100-1316798061_thumb.jpg

Celtic are conducting a feasability study into a standing area at Parkhead. They'll need to get around the ridiculous SPL rules, but hats off to them for trying. Now THIS is the kind of thing to get people back to Scottish football, not relegating a quarter of the league.

They were very instrumental in making the rules so I'm sure they, and their west end cousins, will manage to change them.

They were very instrumental in making the rules so I'm sure they, and their west end cousins, will manage to change them.

Partick Thistle? :laugh:

Partick Thistle? :laugh:

West with a southern bias

I would hope that ICT would be one of the clubs to vote in favour of this should it get that far .....

the Germans have shown it can be done, even to the extent of still being compliant with all seated rules for UEFA competitions ...... could common sense be about to break out ?

post-2-0-22803100-1316798061_thumb.jpg

I would hope so too,now this is the kind of project the Supporters trust should be getting involved in IMO

I think the kind of seating/terracing in that photo would be ideal for both the north and south stands at TCS, we must try and get some atmosphere at our home games and I can see this helping so fair play to the Septics for approaching the SPL with this proposal

You will no doubt still get some folk against this but we could move the wifees and old yins to the main stand so it keeps everyone happy

dougal

We can blame the OF for many things but not this.

Interfering politicians with perceived populist agendas are solely responsible for the atmosphere and facilities in which we now watch our game. Point scoring sought from tragedy when, for once, that old adage 'lessons to be learned' was very appropriate. Instead we had over reaction and legislative pressure.

Don't get me wrong, I like sitting at games (age and mobility thumbup.gif) and won't change my arrangements. That said isn't it obvious to all that there is a significant opportunity to give lots of customers (and perhaps some that are no longer customers) what they want?

Interfering politicians with perceived populist agendas are solely responsible for the atmosphere and facilities in which we now watch our game. Point scoring sought from tragedy when, for once, that old adage 'lessons to be learned' was very appropriate. Instead we had over reaction and legislative pressure.

Don't get me wrong, I like sitting at games (age and mobility thumbup.gif) and won't change my arrangements. That said isn't it obvious to all that there is a significant opportunity to give lots of customers (and perhaps some that are no longer customers) what they want?

Not quite true Sorted. Yes the politicians went a wee bit overboard in their interpretation of the recommendations of the enquiries. The politicians made legislation that 'any sporting stadium with a crowd capacity of over ten thousand must be all seated'. The football associations in UK gave all their registered clubs who met that criterea three years to comply with it. The SPL, on the other hand, made their own interpretation of the law and stated that 'all member clubs of the SPL must have a ten thousand seat capacity and that all seats must be numbered and tickets allocated to a seat number. There is no actual legislation that states that all persons using a stadium must sit down. That is only enforced in the SPL. It is not enforced in EPL or any other league.

Well I'll be standing today. I'm not paying 25 quid or whatever it is for a restricted view seat just to encourage the money-making exercise that is Celtic FC, while being glared at by stewards and probably kept in at full time, all the while worrying if my car Naelifts car is safe.

Clever use of marketing I must admit, to sign players from the far East, sell thousands of jerseys, and encourage all these mugs to feel that they are part of one huge worldwide 'family'.

For those of you who remember such things, the Scottish Cup starts today so I'm off to see my local team Whitehill playing Edinburgh University.

Good luck to ICT in the lions den this afternoon. I'll be there in spirit if not in person.

Not quite true Sorted. Yes the politicians went a wee bit overboard in their interpretation of the recommendations of the enquiries. The politicians made legislation that 'any sporting stadium with a crowd capacity of over ten thousand must be all seated'. The football associations in UK gave all their registered clubs who met that criterea three years to comply with it. The SPL, on the other hand, made their own interpretation of the law and stated that 'all member clubs of the SPL must have a ten thousand seat capacity and that all seats must be numbered and tickets allocated to a seat number. There is no actual legislation that states that all persons using a stadium must sit down. That is only enforced in the SPL. It is not enforced in EPL or any other league.

Listening to Radio Scotland before kick off with Traynor and company talking about the situation. At no point in the discussion did it it mention any responsibilty on the OF for the ruling. They referred to the SFA implementation of the Taylor Report which was in line with that of the EFA (refuse to call it the FA as it's not!). Interesting, on the Celtic case they mention that their CE was worried about his own position as the Safety Officer who is responsible for the certificate issued by the local authority. He is clear that his club is in breach and he is responsible.

They also commented on how the situation in England is exactly the same and specifically mentioned Anfield. Throughout the match, announcements are made requesting people to sit down predominately within the Kop. These are ignored as they are at Celtic.

Ultimately, I maintain that the current situation is politically driven and that the appropriate FAs didn't have the ability, desire or gumption to argue their case properly.

Listening to Radio Scotland before kick off with Traynor and company talking about the situation. At no point in the discussion did it it mention any responsibilty on the OF for the ruling. They referred to the SFA implementation of the Taylor Report which was in line with that of the EFA (refuse to call it the FA as it's not!). Interesting, on the Celtic case they mention that their CE was worried about his own position as the Safety Officer who is responsible for the certificate issued by the local authority. He is clear that his club is in breach and he is responsible.

They also commented on how the situation in England is exactly the same and specifically mentioned Anfield. Throughout the match, announcements are made requesting people to sit down predominately within the Kop. These are ignored as they are at Celtic.

Ultimately, I maintain that the current situation is politically driven and that the appropriate FAs didn't have the ability, desire or gumption to argue their case properly.

The SFA implemented the recomendations of the Taylor report, as they interpreted it. The OF were very vociferious and instrumental in breaking away from the league and forming the SPL. They also were very much involved in making the rules of the SPL. They made the rule that all stadia had to be ten thousand seat capacity. Had they used the figure 9,999 then they could have had standing areas. The law says stadium over ten thousand capacity must be all seater. If the SPL allowed it our stadium could have standing area's just like Ayr and many others of less than 10k capacity.

Regulation states that stadia over 10k must be all-seater, but nowhere does it state you must sit.

The "you must sit" is an SPL directive.

Safety certificates issued by Local Authorities are exactly that. They assess the facilities as meeting all necessary safety regulations and sign them off as fit for purpose.

My understanding is that Celtic have investigated everything and feel a case can be made (and would be accepted) for changing the legislation on stadia over 10k being allowed standing areas. The SPL rule that "you must sit" has no basis in law or legislation so it's effectively worthless and is an internal matter which the clubs themselves could easily change.

The grey area is on whether stadia could change seated areas to standing areas (or have them dual purpose and allow standing in existing areas) and still obtain the local authority issued safety certificates. This has as much to do with the ability for exits to handle any increased capacity if emergency evacuation was required (and other related safety issues) as anything else.

As far as TCS is concerned, we already have standing areas which have been signed off as "fit for purpose"....stadia are assessed as a whole, not on a "per stand/area" basis and nothing in our safety certificate states that any area cannot/should not be used. We're just not allowed to use them because SPL says so and we would be an ideal test bed for the re-introduction of standing areas without the need for any change in legislation (as we are under 10K capacity)....if the SPL were to allow it.

Let's face it...the fact we're not allowed to use our terracing is nothing more than bureaucratic BS. The fact that we could use it and host larger crowds when we were in Div 1, yet somehow it becomes dangerous because we are in the SPL is utter nonsense.

In a sheer business sense, the SPL chiefs / clubs must realise that there is a strong demand for terracing. If they want to make more money, i.e. get more folk through the turnstiles, then surely re-introducing terraces / standing areas would generate this extra income as well as satisfying the customer demand. It's basic business.