Butcher and Malpas extend contracts

CaleyD

great news IMHO. Makes life easier for TB to negotiate with players when he himself has committed beyond the end of the season. Guess that also means Richie Foran will end his career at ICT !!!

IMO they should have waited until the new year and looked at how we are doing at this point before offering contracts. This will be a more accurate representation of how 'Terry's new team' is performing for better or ill.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 2

IMO they should have waited until the new year and looked at how we are doing at this point before offering contracts. This will be a more accurate representation of how 'Terry's new team' is performing for better or ill.

Totally agree...hopefully this will turn out to be great decision but a could be a costly one if its wrong

• Agree 1

Sorry have to disagree I think this is good news and brings a bit of stability to the dressing room. I have always worried that if Terry and Mo walked away with a lot of players on short term deals we could be in a bad position.

Should leaving us with a lot of players on short term deals not be considered bad management in itself ???

Totally agree...hopefully this will turn out to be great decision but a could be a costly one if its wrong

This sounds about right.The whole point of signing players on short term deals is to be able to offload if they under perform or if, heaven forbid, we are relegated. Should this approach not be followed for managerial staff? One rule for them another for the players, maybe it could be counter productive as far as settling the team/ dressingroom.

Terry is barely 3 months into his plan to bring a different approach to how ICT set up and play football. It's a long term plan and it's encouraging that the club are willing to commit to that by offering these extensions. Had things been going from bad to worse since the start of the season then I might be more inclined to agree with the "why now?" statements, but I think we've seen enough to know that we're actually on an upward trend and whilst it's not been the most pleasant of rides so far, things can only continue to improve.

I see this as a sign that the club are regaining their confidence in the long term aspirations of the club and hopefully that will continue and we'll start to see those players Terry wishes to keep being offered longer contracts as well.

• Agree 1

What is it with this forum. Anything positive that emanates from the club gets met with scepticism and negativity.

Good to get the men at the helm tied up, lets work on the rest as we progress.

• Agree 11
  • Disagree 1

This sounds about right.The whole point of signing players on short term deals is to be able to offload if they under perform or if, heaven forbid, we are relegated. Should this approach not be followed for managerial staff? One rule for them another for the players, maybe it could be counter productive as far as settling the team/ dressingroom.

Seems to be this assumption that because players are on "short term" deals then they are immediately going to be gone at the end of that. Here's a revolutionary thought for you....maybe those players might extend their contracts, just like Terry and Mo have!!! What's more, maybe they might now be a lot more willing to extend those contracts now that Terry has extended his!!!

Not all players are/were on short term deals...in fact, there's probably fewer than people think.

Two comments:

1) Don't rule out the possibility that as a precondition, the new overseas investors might have stipulated that they want the management team on a longer term contract than at present.

2)Just because they have a contract until 2014 doesn't mean they will be here until then. These days its pretty common to have clauses that allow the management team to leave if they get a better offer (perhaps dependent on a specified level of compensation for ICT) and going the other way, a clause which allows the club to terminate their contracts at any time in return for a sliding scale of compensation depending on when the sacking takes place.

Seems to be this assumption that because players are on "short term" deals then they are immediately going to be gone at the end of that. Here's a revolutionary thought for you....maybe those players might extend their contracts, just like Terry and Mo have!!! What's more, maybe they might now be a lot more willing to extend those contracts now that Terry has extended his!!!

Not all players are/were on short term deals...in fact, there's probably fewer than people think.

D, I did say that "if" they were not to perform up to scratch or we got relegated they could be gone, I am not making any assumptions as to whether or not they will be here just that there is an option should it be required. It is good news that they have commited themselves (both the club and TB/MM) but as someone said before this could blow up in our faces. I was just trying to point out that the club have stated, even TB himself, that short term deals are the way to go in the economic climate and with the state of the game just now but what is good for the goose should be good for the gander, hopefully it will not be too long before we see players being awarded the same level of commitment from the club as has been shown towards the management team.

Forgive my pessimistic stance but we are sitting rock bottom at the moment and whilst you can see only improvement in the future I am pretty sure I read and heard the same sort of comments, from many and various sources, around the time just before Brewster's departure.

• Agree 2

What is it with this forum. Anything positive that emanates from the club gets met with scepticism and negativity.

Good to get the men at the helm tied up, lets work on the rest as we progress.

Should the conversations here not be balanced? Otherwise discussions deteriorate into high fiving and back slapping, if you chastise people for holding a differing view or pointing out possible pitfalls then they will leave and the forum will become stale and boring. Just a place for like minded people to tell each other how great their ideas are without the benefit of a steadying influence.

• Agree 3

I for one am delighted with the news. This no doubt was playing in the back of many minds around the club and to get it sorted at this stage is terrific.

There is no doubt that the only way to yield results out of this squad is continuity and now that we know the management team are here long term it will make the players feel alot more secure as well knowing that Terry and Mo arent away anywhere.

• Agree 1

if i recall right. terry and mo signed a contract extension when we were in the first division. the signing along with beginning to field a settled 11 coincided with a dramatic increase in form and subsequent promotion :ictscarf:

i'll take the same again :) admittedly promotion isn't a possibility but top six should be.

think it is great news and i especially like the bit about them becoming attached to the area and the club. its good to hear.

now lets move on UP!!

Best signing of the season IMHO. That's not to say I don't have concerns about a few things but the stability this affords the club is really important. Butcher and Malpas have been good for the club. It was a great acheivement to bounce straight up from the SFL and a great acheivement to equal our highest ever position last year. This year the league is tight and we are in a false position at the foot of the table, but despite that, the team is playing some very good attractive football. I am confident that we will soon be heading up the table playing a brand of football which will excite the fans. Well done to the Board for offering a 2 year deal and well done to Terry and Mo for accepting.

• Agree 1

Agree DD makes complete sense - whether we are SPL next season or not it makes sense and is the stability we need to move the club forward into the next chapter. I always see ICT as being a club that has always tried to keep a solid foundation as there are many other areas where we just cannot compete with the supposedly bigger clubs.

Where others are losing it I think we are ready to push on to the next level - ooh hah....

Should the conversations here not be balanced? Otherwise discussions deteriorate into high fiving and back slapping, if you chastise people for holding a differing view or pointing out possible pitfalls then they will leave and the forum will become stale and boring. Just a place for like minded people to tell each other how great their ideas are without the benefit of a steadying influence.

I agree Marks and this thread is a good example - up to now - of one that IS balanced. Quite a few in favour and just as many against or asking questions about it, with most giving opinions and valid questions or reasonings for their viewpoints.

Despite the fact that I disagree with about half the comments on this thread, it is quite refreshing to have a balanced one that hasnt descended into personal slagging matches or abuse ........ but give it time, I am sure it will get there !!!

Terry Butcher is one of the best things that has happened to this club. Even, the PR that it has brought us has made us a more noticeable team in British football. Sam Allardyce got Bolton relegated twice - and promoted twice, and they stuck by him, now that he has left, they haven't been the same. There are far too many clubs changing their managers, and we have a management team that want to stay here long term. The position we are in right now is not great, but it will change. We could have bad spells and good spells no matter who is in charge, but I for one am glad we have someone of the calabre of Terry Butcher. Well done board!

There's not many clubs that would reward a bottom of the league management team that got knocked out of the cup at the first hurdle with a 2 year contract extension !!! Hope this doesn't come back to haunt us .

I agree with you DALNEIGHCALEY, this is a ludicrous time to be handing out new contracts while we are sitting at the foot of the table, total madness!!!!

That fella Laurence was ridiculed by almost everyone on here but this decision beggers belief IMO it really does, he's probably having a right good chuckle at this tonight

I personally would have waited till January before discussions took place that way we would have had more first team players back from injury and hopefully be in a much healthier league position

If results improve and we start to climb the table that is the time to dish out rewards not when we are on the back foot, check my previous posts as i've already stated this opinion on a previous thread in case i get accused off fishing

As usual the site admin and moderating team can only see nothing but positives :amazed: my advice to them would be its time they entered the real world and accept there are some of us who are not scared to voice our opinions because it differs from theirs

dougal

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 9

There's not many clubs that would reward a bottom of the league management team that got knocked out of the cup at the first hurdle with a 2 year contract extension !!! Hope this doesn't come back to haunt us .

I agree with you DALNEIGHCALEY, this is a ludicrous time to be handing out new contracts while we are sitting at the foot of the table, total madness!!!!

That fella Laurence was ridiculed by almost everyone on here but this decision beggers belief IMO it really does, he's probably having a right good chuckle at this tonight

I personally would have waited till January before discussions took place that way we would have had more first team players back from injury and hopefully be in a much healthier league position

If results improve and we start to climb the table that is the time to dish out rewards not when we are on the back foot, check my previous posts as i've already stated this opinion on a previous thread in case i get accused off fishing

As usual the site admin and moderating team can only see nothing but positives my advice to them would be its time they entered the real world and accept there are some of us who are not scared to voice our opinions because it differs from theirs

dougal

Good post, I too believe that January would have been a better time to announce this, our place in the table could quite easily look a whole lot better after 3 or 4 good results and other results going our way conversely it could look a hell of a lot worse given some bad luck and a run of form for our rivals. I believe that signing TB and MM up for an extended spell in charge is probably a good thing but there are too many things which could go wrong and end up stretching our modest budget to breaking point.

Could you not post without dragging things to a personal level in discussions which are valid and worthy of discussion? I usually sit back and don't comment unless I feel it is merited, I do however read most threads on here and you have a lot of good stuff to say, yes you get a fair bit of flaming some of which is undeserved but in some cases you get what you deserve.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1