Good SLR Digital Camera

bluerig

Hi not sure if this is the right forum so apologies if not.

I am wanting to get my wife a good SLR Digital Camera for her xmas, well as good as ?400 to ?500 will get, perhaps something that allows better lenses to be added as her photographic prowess grows. I am totally clueless and the wife doesn't really know what she wants as just starting out as a budding photographer. Any experts on here that can assist us in making the right choice.

I am wanting to get my wife a good SLR Digital Camera for her xmas, well as good as ?400 to ?500 will get, perhaps something that allows better lenses to be added as her photographic prowess grows. I am totally clueless and the wife doesn't really know what she wants as just starting out as a budding photographer. Any experts on here that can assist us in making the right choice.

Dunno about cameras bud, but FYI prob should be in the general nonsense forum.

I've been using Canon gear for over 5 years and you should have a look at the 550D or 1100D. The more digits in the name, the cheaper, i.e. the 1100D is a budget model, up to the 1D which is the pro model. Nikon is the other way round (I think).

You can argue that Olympus have better lenses, or Nikons are better built, Sonys are the coming thing, Panasonic/Lumix are great too, but Canon has such a large share of the market that you can always get cheap 3rd party accessories or sell it on if she wants to trade up.

I'm not chauvinistic about Canon, just my first Canon DSLR was £100 cheaper than the Olympus one I fancied. I've had 3 Canon DSLRs now so sticking with the system.

Edited by TheMantis
p.s. it's the lenses that cost the serious money

I got the Canon EOS 600D for my birthday in May which is excellent but I am still learning with it. It is easy to use in the auto mode for starters, great quality on the video as well. Might be a bit more expensive than what you are planning. ?590 now was ?690 in May! You can read the reviews on Amazon see link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=canon+eos+600

You can get the 550D ?40 cheaper but if you go for the Canon I am sure your wife would be worth the extra ?40!

As the Mantis said, look at a Canon 550D - it's technically been replaced by the 600D, but Canon seem to keep two models of this level in circulation now and you can get some excellent deals on the 550. Low light performance of this and the 1100D is excellent, with hand-hand indoor photos without flash being easy to take and of good quality. But also as he says the lenses are where you can spend real money!

I've got the 550D (after having the 450D) and upgraded from the kit 17-55 lens that comes with the camera to the 15-85 which is about as much again as the camera itself.

If you do get a Canon the 55-250 lens is well worth considering as an excellent value telephoto zoom and perfectly complements the kit lens.

In reality you'll get more than acceptable results even from the kit lens if you're used to a compact or bridge camera, and the DPP software that comes with all the Canon DSLRs helps you improve images further.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well Laura, if money and time were no object I'd have a Lieca M7 and a high tech darkroom. As it is, and not having the time and space for the darkroom, I'll enjoy my Canon D1000 and if that makes me a total slacker then so be it

What, you managed to translate Laura's post then? :whistle:

No, I definitely meant Gehphyrophilia (love of). Why would someone with a fear of bridges want a bridge camera?

There are more non-bridge camera's on the market than there are bridge camera's so I naturally assumed that people with a fear of bridges would want a non bridge camera and from that assumption I assumed that there must be more Gephyrophobiacs than Gephyrophilliacs and then after writing all that I assumed that if I had come onto this site and this thread for the very first time I would assume that all threads start out sensible then turn to utter trash.

Thats unfair to castles ..... Where is the Castle camera ???? We have a Bridge AND a Castle

seriously though ... interesting debate this .... I like taking pictures, but I have always bought higher end compact cameras as I am allowed to take them into concerts or TFC games over here ..... they are just more convenient for my lifestyle. I have had a few Canon compacts and have currently gone back to Fuji for the F550EXR .... great little camera, 18Mp, full HD video, raw and/or jpeg, a lot of settings that get closer to having manual control, and gps geotagging.

However, saving up right now for a half decent DSLR that I hope to be allowed to take into TFC games .... so listening to you expert DSLR guys with interest :ponder:

• 2 weeks later...