ICT -V- Motherwell : Matchday Thread

Scotty

Robbed...and they didn't even have the decency to wear masks!!!

Spoke to a couple of different Well media/official guys after the game and they were of the opinion that they should have been on the wrong end of a hiding out there today...they also agreed that the Red Card for Hogg was ridiculous and it probably didn't warrant even a yellow. After the Tokely one, I don't hold out much hope of it being overturned either.

One thing that stood out for me today was the teams movement and how they were slotting in to cover for each other when players found themselves out of position. It really stood out for me when we had a free kick around 36 minute mark. As soon as the kick was taken and possession was lost the fastest 4 guys were back and formed the defensive line, then as the others got back the transition back into their normal positions was really slick.

For the goals we lost....the first came from a bit of confusion in the box. Hogg and Tokely looked like they were each waiting for the other to deal with it...and the end result was that neither of them did and we lost the goal. For the second, I don't think it was so much a lapse in concentration and more an over eagerness after going ahead (again). From the re-start too many players tried to hold/push forward and we left too much space behind us. The third was as unlucky as it gets, free kick off the face of Hayes.

Not seen the team look so distraught at the end of a game this season as they did today and anyone who thinks it means nothing to those lads couldn't be more wrong.

The real test of character comes now, they have to put the disappointment behind them and believe that if they keep playing the way they did then they're going to get the rewards they deserve.

Same team for me next week if we can get the red card overturned and Meekings injury doesn't prove to be too bad. If not then I'd have Piermayr and Golobart in their places.

That was the best Ict have played in ages and they fully deserved at least a point.

I'm disgraced with the ref yesterday and I'm getting sick and tired of sub-standard refs thinking that they can just cheat us. Hogg should have never have been sent of and I feel sorry for him. Butcher should appeal, however even if we do bet the SFA will just dismiss it.

It was Heartbreaking for the whole team.

OK, it's the harsh reality of daybreak and I'm still hurting after that one. The clocks have gone back an hour and the result still stands, unbelievable, another defeat, another week at the bottom of the league another three goals conceded, where will it all end.

But wait, let's look a little closer at yesterdays game. We started at 100mph, taking the game to Motherwell, the team that is splitting the old firm at the moment. They had Murphy, Humphrey and Higdon, but they were second rate as Rossco and Hogg mopped everything up that came our way. An early goal from the impressive Davis and hey, the good times were back. We were breaking forward at pace all over the park, Meekings was having a stormer, Gillet keeping the sprinter Humphreys under wraps and Higdon, well, Higdon never got a sniff of the ball for over half an hour, he was chasing Rossco and Hogg's shadows and resorted to mumping and moaning like only our Foran knows how.

Around the half hour, Well actually had the temerity to cross the halfway line. Unfortunately the equally impressive Shane got the ball tangled up in his feet and we lost possession. Well saw an opportunity and forced a corner and the result of that was an inexplicable free header for the equaliser. Murphy who had been simulating earlier almost snatched an undeserved second when he opened his body after getting the better of our defence for the first time and like Davis curled a shot round the keeper, thankfully it curled round the post as well.

We started the second where we left off, Randolph handily placed for a couple of shots that went straight down his throat, but also having to stretch his limbs to save another netbound strike, these were probably first half efforts, but I cannae be arsed changing my typing now.

We were back on top and something was going to give. Well were desperate in defence throwing bodies in the way to get the ball out of their box by any means they could. Gregory Tade again worked tirelessly and a neat bit of interplay saw him bore down on goals from a tight angle around the six yard box corner. He smashed a shot past the helpless Randolph, but it thundered off the underside of the bar, bounced down and shot away out of danger.

Richie Foran was still getting pelters from some quarters. These guys need to shut the fork up and actually watch the amount of work he does. He had a much better game today and was at the heart of most of our attacking moves and winning every aerial ball aimed in his direction.

Jonny Hayes entered the arena to fantastic applause and straight away he showed us what we had been missing. He dropped his shoulder on the right flank and drifted past a couple of challenges before digging a left footer that drifted wide of the mark. Welcome back wee man.

He was involved in our second as he let the surging Shinnie take over to rifle in the second fron 10 yards, excellent goal and no more than we deserved. However, we fans know better. No sooner had the rejoicing fans sat back in their seats when Lasley fired a long ranger that seemed to catch Esson flat-footed as the ball whizzed high in to the net. A good strike, but could Esson have been better placed, not sure.

Our misery was complete when Hogg was adjudged to have been the last man/goal scoring thingy and the free kick cannoned of the unfortunate Hayes and beyond Esson.

Davis almost levelled again as he hit a thunderbolt from 25 yards that fizzed just wide, game over and Higdon missed a sitter as the 10 men were stretched trying to equalise.

Shane Sutherland was particularly distraught as he was caught out twice, but in all honesty he was unfortunate both times, especially the second as he brilliantly kept the ball in play, then when he turned back inside he lost possession; chit happens, chin up Shane as otherwise you offered much more threat than the displaced Ross.

So many positives from the game I can't name them all.

I'll try a few though. Richie Foran was superb as mentioned before, Jonny Hayes is back, Josh Meeking looked fantastic in the first half, would need to see that tackle again, he certainly never shirked it anyway. Gillet was also outstanding on the left side and Hogg and Tokely mopped up every attack in the air. Davis had his best game for ICT and Tansey looked much sharper today. Sutherland was prominent, just unfortunate a couple of times and Tade did what Tade does best, out pacing the Well defence often, just the final touch eluding him and his effort that hit the bar would have taken the net off the posts.

That takes us to a former boo boy target, Andrew Shinnie who once again showed some fleet footed play and was always available to link with others, my MotM and the sponsors MotM, well done to him and a good goal to boot.

Negatives, a bit unfair to use that word, but Esson maybe won't want to watch the goals again, although he has been outstanding all season. Hogg being red carded and Meekings maybe picked up an injury. Free header for first Well goal, sort it out.

To those that are constantly looking to nit-pick and deride the manager and certain players........ get a life.

We are definitely on the up, but this will be a tough month for us so we still have to be patient before we achieve lift-off.

• Agree 6

according to radio commentators, Jonny Hayes was booked (presumably for dissent) during the Chris Hogg sending off ... can someone confirm ? need it for the official stats and Sky/BBC Online/ESPN all seem to have missed it ... only got Brian Irvine's comments to go on at the moment.

Hayes definately booked Scotty, presumably for dissent.

Really gutted after watching the best performance we have had for a long time.

Davis was my MOM, but everybody did so well, the players must wonder what they have to do to win, Shane was unlucky but he needs to sort out his feet/brain comunication.

Now... Esson! just saw the goals on Sky sports, and looks to me Ryan was a wee bit at fault for their second and third goals, he seems to lack a wee bit concentration and gets caught flat footed, should Tuffey get a go?

If we can keep up this kind of performance i'm sure we will head up the league.

didnt get to the game but listened o the match and have seen the highlights. The amount of chances deserved us to win to matches let alone not just yesterday, we cant complain about defending for two of the goals as lasleys was a belter and the last one came from a deflection. our goals were well taken and if we can show the same application and effort then we will win games and get off the bottom. I dont know the formation but if it was the 4-3-2-1 then i think we play well in that formation and i think we should use it more often. Gutted we didnt win but onwards and upwards if we continue to play like that

What's going on with Butcher in the highlights at about the 4:20 mark? He seems to be going beserk at someone in the stand. And it's not someone just behind him either, it looks more like someone way up the top.

What's going on with Butcher in the highlights at about the 4:20 mark? He seems to be going beserk at someone in the stand. And it's not someone just behind him either, it looks more like someone way up the top.

Wondered this myself after watching last night. Maybe someone that sits in the main stand can enlighten us?

Wondered this myself after watching last night. Maybe someone that sits in the main stand can enlighten us?

I heard it and think it was directed at the press box. He shouted something like "write about that".

• Agree 1

I am reliably informed that an unamed loyal poster from this forum shouted out "That's what you get fer listening to Johndo".

:rolleyes:

Can confirm he was'nt having a go at me this week :tongueincheek: ..........would concur that it seemed to be directed at the press box and borne out of sheer frustration with another diabolical refereeing display :frustrated01: