Tade vs Rooney

hislopsoffsideagain

Considering there's been a lot of whinging about how we haven't adequately replaced Adam Rooney, and how we don't have an adequate goal threat, and that Tade isn't a 'natural goalscorer' (whatever the hell that means), I thought it might be interesting to compare Rooney from last season against Tade from this season:

Rooney in 2010/11

All competitions: 21 goals in 42 games (41 starts, 1 as sub)

SPL: 15 goals in 38 games (37 starts, 1 as sub)

Tade in 2011/12

All competitions: 6 goals in 15 games (13 starts, 2 as sub)

SPL: 6 goals in 14 games (13 starts, 1 as sub)

Note that Rooney's goals included 7 penalties, 5 of which were in the league. So he only scored 10 goals from open play in the SPL last season. Tade is, in fact, only 4 goals away from equalling Rooney's total in open play for the whole of last season in the SPL!

• Agree 6

I thought that Tades second v Killie was a classic strikers goal. Perhaps just somewhere there is a portion of his footballing brain connected to his foot, and that like rooney/wyness etc given time he will score heaps more

• Agree 1

Tade could prove to be a very shrewd signing if he continues to grow in confidence. There is clear evidence he is learning his trade well at SPL level. His strength is a major asset. His battling qualities are what help a team succeed. Gregory really wants to improve and succeed. Adam has now to work on his game to prevent slipping back like Mark Brown did. Anyway, it is good that our fickle supporters who traditionally dismiss our new strikers within a few games are warming to Gregory.

Lets feckin face it Tade and Foran up front was never going to prosper. There was far too much pressure on both of them to deliver the goods. I called Terry and suggested that the training regime fer Tade should focus on 1:1 situations and target practice. Thank Gawd Terry listens to me.

IMHO Tade was THE most improved performer at Killie yesterday. He isnt a natural goalscorer and never will be but if he plays to his strengths and develops the art of finishing he will get better and better.

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised so little has been said about Gregory Tade's goal yesterday. Folk at the game said it was good but it is only when you see it on the highlights that you appreciate the way he made space for himself and the sharpness, accuracy and power of the shot. Young Nick Ross played his part by playing a good ball in and immediately running into space to give the defence something to think about. In my view it was a better goal than Jonny Hayes' last month and had Wayne Rooney scored it you would have had the English media going into raptures over it.

Talking of Rooney, it was good to see Adam score a decent goal for B'ham yesterday and with Chris Wood back to West Brom and then out on loan to Bristol City, it may be that Adam will get a bit of an opportunity again to show what he can do.

But to get back to the subject of the topic - who is better, Gregory or Adam? I was impressed with Adam from the start and felt he would be a very hard act to follow, but Gregory is proving himself to be a very able replacement indeed. Clearly he is capable of scoring good goals and his attitude and work rate are superrb. To me it really doesn't matter which of the two is better - all that matters is that Gregory has proven to be a really good signing. Just one question remains - can he take a penalty?

Our Gregory's already the fans favourite. Running to the North Stand at ICT at the end of a home game to meet the younger fans, and coming to the away stand at Motherwell to acknowledge the fans there - only goes to win over the fans even more and he is already a winner. We have been singing his name since he came here, so, it can only get better. That goal on Saturday was a peach! (Pity it was at the away end from us!).

Our Gregory runs and runs, never gives up, and that's what we want for an ICT player. Bring it on, Gregory.

• Agree 1

He has surpassed his goal tally from last season already, he's intimidating, he is top scorer, he has shown he is capable of playing on the wing as well as up front, his effort is the best ive ever seen, he is very happy to acknowledge our support and on his day he is a more than capable match winner. At the moment out of the large amount of players that have come in so far i would say Tade has been the best.

Vive la France

Speaking of which.........Marius Niculae got a somewhat surprising call up to represent his country at the Euros on the back of 8 SPL goals in an entire season. Tade has 8 with 16 games to go!

Gotta love the idea of seeing him face England, and making a **** out of John Terry.

Not only is he a star on the park, but he appears to be a lovely person after hearing his interview on Alba . I hope we can hold on to him for a while. Keep up the good work Gregory and get us past Dunfermline on Wed.

• Agree 1

Tade's work rate is the thing that impresses me most. He must run miles in a match. That was a cracking goal on Saturday. It will do his confidence no end of good. I wouldn't be surprised that if in the Tade v Rooney debate that Tade becomes an even firmer crowd favourite than Rooney (if he isn't already). Now that he is popping a few goals in too I hope it won't be long until everyone is asking, "who was Rooney?"

SHUT UP! sorry but the last time i checked Rooney was a god round here and could score 1on1s. Tade is good but 15 1on1 misses to 2 goals and have you seen him take a penalty? Theres one on youtube and its crap!

Also would we be in the spl if we didnt have rooney? no 27 goals! Love Tade but Rooney is still miles better.

2 totally different strikers rooney was more technically gifted than tade but id say tade is a more complete player. hes quicker, and stronger but a little less technically gifted than rooney.

id say tade has filled in for rooney as best as someone could. if i was a defender id rather play against rooney but if i was a goalkeeper id rather play against tade.

the other thing ive noticed about tade is his defending set pieces hes top notch i cant recall us losing a goal from a set piece this season and tades allways against one of the bigger players. and id also say our new number 10 has the potential to be better than last seasons number 10

rooney was god

tade is now god

now can we move on from last season? lets look forward to the rest of the season with tade and shinnie up front.