Why is Laurel Avenue a dual carriageway?

Charles Bannerman

That's it, it is still going strong with a good congregation.  It had been a joint charge with the Old High Church on Church Street for many years now 'Old High St Stephens' the Old High congregation is a lot more elderly and depleting as the years go on.

A cracker of the High School, castle & old bridge.  Note the extension on left side of the Columba Hotel (directly above the castle) looks fairly new in this picture as it is a lot lighter in colour! 

Again, dating that photo is interesting. The presence of both the High School and the suspension bridge places it 1936-59. If I could make out the temporary bridge, which is probably there but obscured by the castle, that would make it 1939-59 but in any case the clincher may be at the top of the photo.

We can see Dochfour Drive, Columba Road and I think a fair bit of development on Laurel Ave, but not a lot more. That might tend to suggest the early post war years which may also be consistent with a detail within the High School. Former pupils will know better than I do, but do I see the very first HORSA huts, light in colour on the far edge? HORSA stands for Huts On the Raising of the School leaving Age - to 15 after the war, so I'm wondering if all of that may be consistent with perhaps 1948-50? It's probably also a summer photo since you can make out the running track at the school.

Excellent photo!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but were there two buses to and from Dalneigh - St Valery Ave and Laurel Ave with their routes designed to serve the respective ends of "The Scheme"?

Also, were their town centre termini at different places or at least at different points on Academy St, where this photo was taken?

I believe so....not from personal experience, but from conversations in the house.

One bus was designated "Dalneigh" and the other "Limetree" if my memory of those conversations is correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but were there two buses to and from Dalneigh - St Valery Ave and Laurel Ave with their routes designed to serve the respective ends of "The Scheme"?

Also, were their town centre termini at different places or at least at different points on Academy St, where this photo was taken?

I believe so....not from personal experience, but from conversations in the house.

One bus was designated "Dalneigh" and the other "Limetree" if my memory of those conversations is correct.

I would hope not "from personal experience" since I'm talking about an era (60s and late 50s) before you were born Donald! :laugh:

I had forgotten about the Limetree Ave bus and am now wondering if this in fact was as third service?

I would hope not "from personal experience" since I'm talking about an era (60s and late 50s) before you were born Donald! :laugh:

I had forgotten about the Limetree Ave bus and am now wondering if this in fact was as third service?

Both Dalneigh bus and Limetree avenue buses left from outside the Station Hotel in the 1970's (and probably later). The last bus to Dalneigh was about 22:00 which sometimes meant leaving the cinema early or walking home

A lot of open space at the prison on the bottom right!  Church Street seems very wide at the north end where you can see old buildings where the telephone exchange is now.  Note the very large roofs on the St Columba, Free North and Old High churches.

Is there a mini golf course at Torvean?

Then that's the Tomnahurich cemetery behind????? :smile:

That is Tomnahurich but it's not mini golf because there is now an 18 hole golf course at Torvean. There were 9 holes even when I was a kid and it was extended to 18 by developing the opposite side of the road with 9 more holes in the late 70s.

There is now talk of shifting the golf course if they ever get as far as starting the West Link road.

Is there a mini golf course at Torvean?

Then that's the Tomnahurich cemetery behind????? :smile:

That is Tomnahurich but it's not mini golf because there is now an 18 hole golf course at Torvean. There were 9 holes even when I was a kid and it was extended to 18 by developing the opposite side of the road with 9 more holes in the late 70s.

There is now talk of shifting the golf course if they ever get as far as starting the West Link road.

I'll always have fond memories of Torvean GC as I got my first hole in one there back when I was a teenager!

• Agree 1