Why is Laurel Avenue a dual carriageway?

Charles Bannerman

We've had that one already haven't we?

No Charles it was the north end where I used to live!  IHE is putting on so many you are getting confused :lol:

Yes I've got you now. Both are Laurel Ave looking North, but at different points. #84 is taken at the Dalneigh Road roundabout while #123 is taken from the junction with Bruce Gardens. The most obvious differences are the bend in the road in #123 while #84 is straight and hence also gives a better view of Ord Hill.

These are quite recent shots, as is #128 of the Laurel Avenue shops. When I was a kid the first one was a sort of grocer's (Munro's or MacKenzie's?) and I think the second one was the Post Office which also did excellent ha'penny, penny and twopenny boxes out of old biscuit tins. I can't remember what the third one was but I believe the fourth one was a butcher's.

My pal John Paul used to live in one of the houses above the shops but moved to the corner of LA and Dalneigh Road - which was a lot nearer that "OK Corral" at the south end of LA where a number of quite scary residents included a certain gentleman who is currently a guest of Her Majesty following a firearms incident in Hilton!

Tomatin Road, Hilton ?

Stupid of me, I'd forgotten this thread's title when I suggested Hilton.  

The shops in Tomatin Road look the same with tiles on the front and flats above must have been built about the same time, I am sure IHE might have a photo!

Tomatin Road, Hilton ?

The shops in Tomatin Road look the same with tiles on the front and flats above must have been built about the same time, I am sure IHE might have a photo!

There are a few archictectural similarities between Old Hilton and Dalneigh which are both post-war schemes built to address an extreme housing shortage.. For a start, the Tomatin Road and Laurel Avenue shops are pretty similar and so are the respective primary schools. There is also a little similarity between the churches although the houses on the two estates look pretty different.

Scarlet - John Paul did eventually become a boffin but not a nuclear one. He did a PhD in Chemistry at Aberdeen. But more than that I really wouldn't know since Clydie The Hoss is a complete blank to me.

Charles:

The John Paul that I used to know was on here as "Clydie" when I first joined this site as a member some 8 to 10 years ago now but, since non-humans were not really allowed to post, I was informed that withdrawal of this horse meant that J P resigned.

Later, my understanding was that he went to England and was working at a nuclear site in the Barrow-in- Furness district of the North West of England. But doing what? I have no idea but his work sounded important. Came originally from Fife I believe. A nice, but very sensitive, person with  a trifle different type of personality. More or less what I might expect of a bright, absent-minded professor type? Mercurial --maybe that's the word to apply --like, now you see him, now you don't, without explanation.

I often wondered what happened to J P and where he is now? Charles, anything further you can add to this?

Charles:

The John Paul that I used to know was on here as "Clydie" when I first joined this site as a member some 8 to 10 years ago now but, since non-humans were not really allowed to post, I was informed that withdrawal of this horse meant that J P resigned.

Later, my understanding was that he went to England and was working at a nuclear site in the Barrow-in- Furness district of the North West of England. But doing what? I have no idea but his work sounded important. Came originally from Fife I believe. A nice, but very sensitive, person with  a trifle different type of personality. More or less what I might expect of a bright, absent-minded professor type? Mercurial --maybe that's the word to apply --like, now you see him, now you don't, without explanation.

I often wondered what happened to J P and where he is now?

Was this the brother of Peter Paul?  Had a sideline building houses? Posted for a while as Clyde S. Dale?  I may be getting totally mixed up with all of that, but I have a vague recollection of who you are talking about Scarlet.

Back to the topic--when I was young,  the "swimming pool" was always referred to as "The Baths" .

That's probably because in an earlier era, the other main function of the Friars Street premises was to provide public baths. In the 1930s when the place was built to replace a similar facility on Montague Row, a lot of people didn't have a bath in their house other than a tin tub which could be filled with hot water. So this was a publicly run place where they could go for a proper bath. The actual "baths" were to the left and right before you went into the main swimming pool.

As a result the original name was "the baths" and thqt was certainly still the case when i was a kid in the 60s and possibly later.

Tomatin Road, Hilton ?

Tomatin Road, Hilton ?

post-25-0-91962000-1423778697.jpg

• Agree 1

Tomatin Road, Hilton ?

Stupid of me, I'd forgotten this thread's title when I suggested Hilton. The shops in Tomatin Road look the same with tiles on the front and flats above must have been built about the same time, I am sure IHE might have a photo!

A lot of cars in that one IHE :smile: I will give it a rest for tonight, I prefer the older ones!

Tomatin Road, Hilton ?

Stupid of me, I'd forgotten this thread's title when I suggested Hilton. The shops in Tomatin Road look the same with tiles on the front and flats above must have been built about the same time, I am sure IHE might have a photo!

That's Tomatin Road now and the building is effectively identical to the Laurel Avenue shops. I had always been aware of a similarity but I never until now realised how strong that actually is.

Another aerial to peruse

That one had me completely confused for a while since I started by thinking "Inverness". However I do believe this may be Nairn from the air at a point roughly above the now closed temporary bridge just near the harbour. Judging by the sparsity of structures, this may be a fairly old photo.

Edited by Charles Bannerman