Why is Laurel Avenue a dual carriageway?

Charles Bannerman

That's my old school the High School that was the art and music huts!  When I was there they raised the school leaving age to 16.  My birthday was in May so I left in the summer but some in my class with birthdays after September had to stay on till Christmas even if they had a job!

That's my old school the High School that was the art and music huts!  When I was there they raised the school leaving age to 16.  My birthday was in May so I left in the summer but some in my class with birthdays after September had to stay on till Christmas even if they had a job!

These were the days when teachers were desperate to avoid ROSLA classes - groups composed entirely of kids killing time until they reached the leaving date imposed by the Raising Of The School Leaving Age.

I am ex HIgh School too IBM these huts were there then,, they had just changed the name from Technical School to Hgh School, I left school in 1953 aged 15 so the ROSLA

in this case must have been raising from fourteen to fifteen.................and no I did not get expelled Scarlet before you question it.... :wink:

• Agree 1

So what job did you go into direct from School, IBM?

Shop assistant at Wm Low's where I had worked part time for a year, stayed another year before moving on, thought it was a good job but looking back it was not and the pay was rubbish!

I am ex HIgh School too IBM these huts were there then,, they had just changed the name from Technical School to Hgh School, I left school in 1953 aged 15 so the ROSLA

in this case must have been raising from fourteen to fifteen.................and no I did not get expelled Scarlet before you question it.... :wink:

Gosh bughtmaster you left school before I was born :ohmy:

Yes the school leaving age went up from 14 to 15 with the Education (Scotland) Act of 1945 and then to 16 in around 1972.

I am fairly sure that Low's had one of these old fashioned town centre shops in an earlier era. I remember spewing up pneapple outside a grocer's shop on the High Street somewhere between MacKay's Bookshop (and library) and Boots in about 1957 and think this was either Liptons or Lows.

I am fairly sure that Low's had one of these old fashioned town centre shops in an earlier era. I remember spewing up pneapple outside a grocer's shop on the High Street somewhere between MacKay's Bookshop (and library) and Boots in about 1957 and think this was either Liptons or Lows.

You are not being sick again Charles!  You are right Low's were about there as an old type grocer which I never seen.  The new one on the corner of Bridge Street and Bank Street was the largest supermarket in the town at the time.  It had a delicatessen as buchtmaster remembers and a large butcher department.  The goods entrance which was shared with Littlewoods was on bank street down a ramp to a large turntable which was designed so the delivery lorries could drive in be turned round and then drive out but was no use as they didn't think about articulated lorries!  There was a very large store downstairs and the head storeman Gordon smoked 60 Capstain full strenth a day, you knew if he was in as you could hear him coughing :ohmy:  

I haven't seen Kinmylies Farm for years! Great to get that photo. The lower section of that pic is the upper section of a 3 mile run I used to do very regularly as a kid from my house in St Andrew Drive via the canal banks. It was usually timed and eyeballs out so DD will be intrigued that Kinmylies Farm is yet another of my potential spewing venues! Quite recently - 45 years on - I tried it again and the time difference on the watch was predictable.

Any tendency to spew there would be hugely enhanced by the pong of pigsh!t from the farm. In later years, during the 90s, we used to run up there on a Tuesday night from Harriers HQ at the Bught and do a set of runs up what's known as "Piggery Hill" right next door. On other Tuesday nights we used to to a run which included the Hospital and a flat out ascent of Leachkin Brae on the right of the picture. More evocations of Hughie, Bert and Ralph!

Probably the most conspicuous feature of that photo is the almost complete lack of housing development on it, whenever it was taken which is most likely pre-70s.

What's the story with that old hoose in the middle of Muirtown?

My granda used to visit an old guy up the Leachkin Brae, called Davie Goodall, anyone mind him?

When did the Burnsides take up residence in Kinmylies farmhoose? Gentleman farmers, fer sure.

The CB spew-ma-ringer trail is fair taking shape. :smile:

My granda used to visit an old guy up the Leachkin Brae, called Davie Goodall, anyone mind him?

I met David Goodall once in about 1985 for a BBC interview about playing in the Highland League (was it only for Clach?) in the 1920s. Understandably he was very old by then and, although still in his own house on Leachkin Brae, was by that stage having a bit of a problem keeping it in reasonable order. I don't know what happened to him after that.