Why is Laurel Avenue a dual carriageway?

Charles Bannerman

• 1 month later...

Bet you cant name the minister and his granddaughter!

I grew up near the manse. Rev. Macintyre was the minister. He had 3 or 4 children from memory. His son Hamish who was a bit younger than me died skiing on Ben Wyvis. That's not them in the photo though, this was during the sixties and seventies. Possibly at the time of the photo this was still the farmhouse for Dalneigh farm

Edited by weeman
Clarity

Bet you cant name the minister and his granddaughter!

I grew up near the manse. Rev. Macintyre was the minister. He had 3 or 4 children from memory. His son Hamish who was a bit younger than me died skiing on Ben Wyvis. That's not them in the photo though, this was during the sixties and seventies. Possibly at the time of the photo this was still the farmhouse for Dalneigh farm

He had six (must have had plenty of spare time after writing the sermon!) Oldest to youngest - Duncan (b 1948ish), Elizabeth (b 1950ish), Sheila (b1953), Helen (b1954), Hamish (b1956) and Jean (b 1958).

Hamish, who was a doctor, was indeed killed in a skiing accident. His widow Vicky is still practice nurse at Cairn. Duncan won a scholarship to Fettes, Sheila was in my year in school, Jean cried a hell of a lot when she was a baby. We could hear her through the hedge since our house in St Andrew Drive was one of the several which backed on to the Manse but I think that photo probably predates the building of housing around the Manse in the late 1940s. There was a hole in the hedge and I used to crawl through to play with the MacIntyre kids and climb one of their trees. Another tree my mates and I nicked apples from!!!

Hamish (Sen) moved to Edinburgh in about 1971 to a church on Dalkeith Road just along from Pollock Halls.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Is that one of the Laurel Avenue shops?

And as a PS on the Rev MacIntyre, one of his weekly tasks was to take the kids with polio to the swimming pool for extra lessons. Even by the late 50s/early 60s, polio had not been entirely eradicated although the sugar cube vaccine was having a big effect.

There were two kids in our class at Dalneigh who had contracted it - Ann Thomson who lost the use of both legs and wore two large calipers and George Polworth who just had one small one on a lower leg. I have to admit that one measure of my inability to run in these days was that George still used to beat me in the 80 yards at the school sports!

Edited by Charles Bannerman

And as a PS on the Rev MacIntyre, one of his weekly tasks was to take the kids with polio to the swimming pool for extra lessons. Even by the late 50s/early 60s, polio had not been entirely eradicated although the sugar cube vaccine was having a big effect.

There were two kids in our class at Dalneigh who had contracted it - Ann Thomson who lost the use of both legs and wore two large calipers and George Polworth who just had one small one on a lower leg. I have to admit that one measure of my inability to run in these days was that George still used to beat me in the 80 yards at the school sports!

Your mention of polio in the 50/60's brought a memory flash to me .....Queuing  up in a corridor in the County buildings in 1954 to get my sugar cube. I think half of Inverness were in there it took that long

Your mention of polio in the 50/60's brought a memory flash to me .....Queuing  up in a corridor in the County buildings in 1954 to get my sugar cube. I think half of Inverness were in there it took that long

I remember getting mine about 1956 or 57 in the infant dept at Central School, even though I wasn't of school age by then.

I remember getting mine about 1956 or 57 in the infant dept at Central School, even though I wasn't of school age by then.

My goodness ............Two years later.........how things have advanced......don't suppose there was much of a Queue there then..........:ohmy: