Tansey Appeal

IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

There is nothing in Butchers statement that indicates he at any time said there was an assault on Samaras. In fact I dont think he mentioned the guys name in any of his statements.

What Butcher actually said was

"If anything it is assault by fingernail - and the player has gone down as if he's been scratched by a jaguar," he said.

So who do you think the player is that Butcher was referring to ?

I know who I THINK Butcher was referring to but you are making a statement inferring that Butcher SAID there was an assault on Samaras which is clearly not the case.

There is nothing in Butchers statement that indicates he at any time said there was an assault on Samaras. In fact I dont think he mentioned the guys name in any of his statements.

What Butcher actually said was

"If anything it is assault by fingernail - and the player has gone down as if he's been scratched by a jaguar," he said.

So who do you think the player is that Butcher was referring to ?

Ever heard of a witty thing called sarcasim?

And im glad the club is appealing. It would appear we have overwhelming support from other names within the game this time whereas on the previous occasions we've had none. I hope it makes a difference come Thursday.

Why was he red carded then ?

No idea. I didn't see anything in the challenge to warrant a red card.

further analysis of the game footage. the ref must have seen it more like this.

From that angle it looks like Samaras has pole axed Tansey with an elbow to the throat!

Having now had the time to watch the footage, and also look at it frame by frame as it was being processed, there are some definite talking points in there.

1. Tansey's card was a complete crock of ****. Terry's analysis of "assault by fingernail" is very accurate and GT's elbow goes nowhere near Samaras. To be (slightly) fairer to Samaras than some have been, he did get contact from GT that may have merited some reaction from the player, but the dying swan reaction was OTT to say the least.

Was it a booking and a free-kick? perhaps. Was it a red card, no way !!! The ref can also be seen clearly indicating the elbow motion as his red card decision, and as the elbow gets nowhere near the player's face then surely it is cut and dried as being the wrong decision.

2. Seconds prior to that Meekings was hauled to the ground by Stokes in a tussle that should have merited an ICT free-kick. No card needed, but the Celtic player did lay hands on him and pull him down. If that was given, the events of barely 2 seconds later would not have happened !!!!

3. Both goals were very close to being offside !!! Depending on how you view them you could easily make a case for the first one, and the players themselves are appealing loudly on the second one

Personally, I do not think it is an OF bias, and I dont think the refs are corrupt as some have suggested on here and on other sites .... I think in this case, the referee is simply incompetent and should not be employed at this level. The commentary team on the radio during the game, and pundits after the game have all been able to list numerous decisions in different games to back up this theory and we are just one more team to add to the list.

I do however take issue with the idea that's floating around Twitter and Facebook right now that both Terry Butcher and Jonny Hayes may be in trouble with the SPL for comments made in the aftermath. Terry on the radio, and Jonny on Twitter. If they do, then thats another crock of ****. I heard Terry's interview but didnt see what JH tweeted until now (something about clipping Tansey's fingernails cos they are lethal? or was it the 14 man Celtic comment?) ... Terry's interview was clearly that of an angry man who was trying his best not to overstep the mark but what can you say in the face of such incompetence ! I thought he did very well and didnt say anything that would get him into trouble .... As for Jonny's tweets ? just banter, nothing I can see to get worked up about ... they did use all 3 subs after all !!!

Hopefully the SPL can put their efforts where they are most needed and get the refereeing sorted out. It is spoiling the game and something has to be done. Apart from anything else, the notion that the referee's report and its contents are like a tablet handed down to Moses and therefore gospel regardless of what actually happened, and what can be proved to have happened is totally and utterly wrong. Referees make mistakes, and maybe 1 in 10 (a generous figure) is prepared to say that .... The rest hide behind their reports and get away with rampant incompetency every week.

Maybe its time for "performance related pay" for officials? ..... you get 50% of your fee for reffing the game, and you get the other 50% if you dont make yourself the most important player on the park or the subject of all the after match discussions ... maybe hitting these tosspots in the wallet, the same way as we hit clubs or players for indiscretions or bad behaviour is only fitting ...... ?

• Agree 1

:thumbup: Respect DC - fine fishing trip - based on accurate statements.

Again the bottom line is that he was sent off for Violent Conduct and for use of the elbow which must have been deemed to be an intentional act.

It was a needless challenge and was more of an attempt to put Samaras off than to win the ball. He did lead with his arm and he did make contact with Samaras. He also appeared to fix his focus on Samaras rather than the flight of the ball. Those are all "facts" which will undoubtedly be raised at the appeal. I would even concede that it may have looked intentional from the ref's angle of vision. That was probably also the case in the Tokely sending off.

However the ref could have conferred with any of his assistants - he was far too quick in flashing the red card. But I think we have a chance if the ref admits to all of this and admits that a red card was an error, in retrospect and seeing the piccies/replays. I would hope that the offence is dropped to a yellow card offence - which it was.

As for Samaras milking it - well it is now part and parcel of the game - especially from Johnny Foreigners. I also think that Terry was voicing the frustrations of the three red cards and not just this one.

And to end the bottom line is that Tansey went for a challenge that he was never going to win - he gave the ref a decison to make which he didnt need to.

The only way the appeal will continue to the next stage is if the referee admits he made a mistake, whats the chances of 'tim' O'Reilly doing that? will he be man enough? as Butch says its a kangaroo court when they purely going through the motions to pat us on the head, and in reality mean, nice little team now feck off back to the highlands.

The refereeing standards are shocking just now with robots on a ego trip running the games for their own benefit not for the game.

OK, so here is my prediction !!!!

Tansey's card will not be rescinded despite the fact that the refereee booked him for violent conduct, i.e. elbowing Samaras. He will instead have it reduced to serious foul play for leading with his "lethal fingernails" and the red will stand but for the lesser offence meaning a 1 match ban instead of 3! He will be told to report to a manicurist during our next game and must wear gloves for the rest of the season.

Terry will get fined for telling the truth for the umpteenth time this season. He will overhear the folk in charge saying "see how you like this one Skippy !!! Kangaroo f****** court indeed !".

Jonny will get reprimanded or maybe a small fine for engaging in banter during his personal free time. He will also be told to wear welders gloves for the rest of the season so his tweets become as nonsensical as the decisions of the officials.

or in other words ... a three pronged injustice !

• Agree 1

We are nearly all falling into the trap now of expecting the appeal to succeed - which i expected to happen for the last two. Beware.

Maybe instead of wrongfully or accidentally getting a player sent off in games , we should really go for it & tell our players to go in hard /take no prisoners/ take risks because if we dont

we`ll just get a player sent off anyway for sneezing !

When the ref sent Tansey off, he quite clearly indicates the elbow as making contact with samarass, as the reason for the red card.

You can't be sent off for looking at a player before a challenge, or for leading with arms(keepers would be sent off at corners all the time) as you need to use arms to help with a good leap at the ball. As seen in some scientific programme I watched recently, with Ronaldo, which proved that players gain a massive improvement in height when using arms to jump.

So once the ref looks at all the pictures and video's, he HAS to change his decision. He already looks like a fool, his only chance of recovering any respect is to admit he got it wrong!

We are nearly all falling into the trap now of expecting the appeal to succeed

Dont think so ..... after the last two I would say we are (almost) all guilty of thinking it should never have been given, and that it should be rescinded, but we are equally as pessimistic that the outcome this time will be the same as the last. In my case, I think they will lump insult onto injury and also nail TB and Jonny Hayes !

Worst part is that the damage is done. The game ended there and then as a contest, and no matter what the decision of the appeal is we will never change the final result. Celtic may well have gone on to win had it remained at 11-v-11 but we will never know thanks to Mr O'Reilly

Its late, I am tired, and so to bring some levity to this topic, I thought to look online for some "fingernail" related comedy ....... and in amongst all the youtube videos of people with black fingernails or toenails, I found this little gem from the Carry On Films ......

Greg Tansey as ..... "The Black Fingernail" ...... I am sure we could have a separate thread with all the other players taking up positions in the supporting cast :lol:

Can't believe people are still taking the bait....DC is clearly on the wind-up.

Simple explanation - he's ICT through and through (almost) but when ICT are playing your 'big' team, something has to give.......

• Agree 2

ok, we're getting off topic and into the realms of personal slagging matches or digs. Regardless of your opinion of DC's posts and whether you think he is genuine, on the wind up, or trolling, he too is covered by our rules and should not be subjected to personal attacks. Lets get back on topic which is discussing Tansey's appeal ............. anything else can be taken to PMs or another thread.