A9 to be dualled!

Fraz

A9 to be dualled, completion in 2025, better late than never. Hopefully some lives will be saved and will help business. Could have been started years ago instead of the Edinburgh tram farce, Central belt comes first tho.

A9 to be dualled, completion in 2025, better late than never. Hopefully some lives will be saved and will help business. Could have been started years ago instead of the Edinburgh tram farce, Central belt comes first tho.

In fairness that is where most of the population is so the majority of projects will be based there however it would be very hard not to agree that the trams have been a joke!

Would be good to see the railway line dualled as well.

I dont think the road needs to be dual carrigeway the whole way...i think even 5 mile stretches every 10 miles would make a huge difference....but not gonna argue with it being dualled the whole way. Hopefully the A96 is next coz thats an infinatley worse road!

I dont think the road needs to be dual carrigeway the whole way...i think even 5 mile stretches every 10 miles would make a huge difference....but not gonna argue with it being dualled the whole way. Hopefully the A96 is next coz thats an infinatley worse road!

TBH I'd prefer the A82 to be done before the A96 but at least the run to Perth will be safer and quicker in a few years.

Agreed it should have been dualled long ago, it's a trunk road and is chocka all summer, dodging the tourists and the Tesco lorries is a nightmare.

However the trams are the business of Edinburgh Council and have got hee haw to do with it. Although the Government at Holyrood chipped in some cash to help them out of an impossible situation (about £200M?), it's a drop in a bucket compared to the cost of dualling the A9.

Edited by TheMantis

Yes, but I am sure that the Scottsh Government had to give approval - which they did. One of the last things that Labour did in power, backed by the Tories and Lib Dems. When SNP won in 2007, one of the first motions was to scrap it and fund other road networks. Of course, they only had a minority in government at that point, so Labour, Tories and Lib Dems pushed it through. It then became the responsibility of the Council.

Interesting that at the last election, Labour were complaining about the trams when it was their idea!!! The only party that I know of that had the A9 to be dualled in their manifesto in the last election were the Tories - i'm surprised they haven't claimed the SNP stole their idea.. watch this space!

Edited by CapitalCaley

Dualling the A9 should have been done many years ago, therefore the blame lies with politicians of all stripes and both at Holyrood and Westminster. They can all share it, even if none will accept it.

Who knows how many lives would have been saved given that the most treacherous and deadly stretches seem to be where dual turns to single carraigeways and drivers - especially tourists - get confused, or where there are ridiculous junctions heading towards services or rural towns/villages.

Also, the economic impact of upgrading this route should not be underestimated, and once again, national politicians representing the Highlands for the last few decades, who also come from all parties can be considered culpable.

They have ALL let the Highlands down, and none can claim this idea as a victory.

This has started to sound like a political party broadcast. Labour been in power for generations but did nowt, Liberals aint been in power, and Conservatives have been the 4th power for ages. SNP first full government and its going ahead. 22 minutes quicker to Central belt - might entice some bigger name players, but I bet it gets smothered in speed cameras.

Average speed cameras worked on the M77 but it was treacherous.

Comparison to the trams is way off the mark. They expect the final cost to be around ?1 billion which equates to around ?100 million per mile. The channel tunnel cost ?9 billion for 30 miles and when you consider there are 3 tunnels it comes in about the same cost per mile. There has been some inflation since then but I think it gives a bit of perspective to the shambles the trams have been. They weren't even needed, the bus service in Edinburgh was and is excellent.

I don't believe in party politics but I do believe Scotland will thrive as an independent country whoever we get in government.

• Agree 1

This has started to sound like a political party broadcast. Labour been in power for generations but did nowt, Liberals aint been in power, and Conservatives have been the 4th power for ages. SNP first full government and its going ahead. 22 minutes quicker to Central belt - might entice some bigger name players, but I bet it gets smothered in speed cameras.

Sorry to make this more political BUT the Lib Dems were in power from 1999 to 2007 in a coalition with Labour in the Scottish Executive Government.

Edited by CapitalCaley
  • Agree 1

All good news, but we should run a Prediction League as to how many ?billions overspent and how many years late these two projects will inevitably turn out to be.

The downside is of course 15+ years of continual roadworks for every away game.

The downside is of course 15+ years of continual roadworks.

My thoughts exactly, should all be completed just as i retire! :irritated:

Sod it, i'm gonna buy a caravan and spend my retirement driving up and down it in the ootside lane slowing down a'body to get my own back

VictorMeldrew DSC

• Agree 1

I hear this morning they have confirmed the A96 is also to be dualled although i never heard a completion date.

Begins in 2016.

Great news, but what about in places like Nairn? They couldn't make it dual carriageway through there. I can't see it all being dual carriage way unless of course they make a Nairn bypass?

I hear this morning they have confirmed the A96 is also to be dualled although i never heard a completion date.

Begins in 2016.

Great news, but what about in places like Nairn? They couldn't make it dual carriageway through there. I can't see it all being dual carriage way unless of course they make a Nairn bypass?

A bypass would be a bonus, at least then you wouldn't have to go through the crazy amount of traffic lights there are now scince the improvements.

I believe that the A96 improvements would not be complete till 2030!

Now is the time to start a campaign to get the A82 dualled to Glasgow by 2100. :tongueincheek:

Seriously tho, at least those in power are finally noticing that people live north of Perth and that a decent infrastructure is required to support them and business up here.