The General's Well.

Charles Bannerman

This will be remembered by generations of Invernessians as a popular watering hole (and it still is I think)down by the river near the first of the bridges through the Islands from the Bught to Island Bank Road.

However, a BBC colleague of mine has been doing some research into the title to the land in the Bught area in relation to its possible use for the bypass and came up with something called "The Colonel's Well". The Colonel will be very likely Col Warrand (of Warrand Road fame) whose executors sold the Bught Estate, on which the well is situated, to the Town Council in 1923 for a modest ?11,250. The debate now is whether or not this is Common Good land but it's the well which fascinates me.

The most obvious solution is that the two - Colonel's and General's - are one and the same well but local folklore and usage has afforded a bit of promotion to our gallant friend, but I suppose there may conceivably be two wells.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Jeez, i remember in my youth drinking water from an old chain attached ladle from the generals well many times after playing footie at the bught, nowadays a little plaque on the well says the general (colonel?) drank from the well every day in the belief that the water had health giving properties!! probably had a flask of malt in his back pocket to go with the well water.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...