Site Upgrade (2012)

Scotty

Many thanks Scotty for trying to educate a confused and, as some would have it, a rather elderly Pimple.

I am game to try anything and will do as you advise M'Lud. There IS life in the old dawg yet ,Master, but you should have seen me in me prime--a thing of wonder, no less.

However, Keep it Simple Sam has been my mantra since I was 85 yrs old and started to feel the rapid decline of the synapses in me brain and observed the even more rapid deterioration in some of our most celebrated and clever posters but I can't help but wonder why it was fixed when it wisnae broke. One formerly entered the site, read the posts, marked them as read and that was it for the day.The next visit was simple since one started with a blank sheet . Topping. Dream topping.

But this is your site M'Lud and who is a semi senile Pimple to question your bright and breezy efforts? For me, more is not necessarily good, just confusing and challenging. Lang may yer lum reek. Can't fault you for effort that's fer sure.

Content since last visit isn't working. I routinely get "no new threads" but if I go into the Forums I can see that posts had been made within last hour.

Getting a bit annoying having to open the forums individually and then scan each entry to see if there has been something new added.

Anyone else having this problem?

If there is something new then a dot appears to the left of the topic. Scotty/don will check out if there is a problem or do you simply need to clear out your cache.

Is there anyway you guys could have the 'View last post' button return?

I know its not a big feature but i found it really useful

You mean to go to the first unread post on a thread ??? If thats what you mean, then on the view new content screen where there are new topics, click the dot to the lft of them for that rather than thread title.

Not as good as it was before in that respect, but thats how this version of the forum does it ......

Is there anyway you guys could have the 'View last post' button return?

I know its not a big feature but i found it really useful

You mean to go to the first unread post on a thread ??? If thats what you mean, then on the view new content screen where there are new topics, click the dot to the lft of them for that rather than thread title.

Not as good as it was before in that respect, but thats how this version of the forum does it ......

I noticed the button for going to 'first unread post' but there was a different button on the previous version of the board that took you directly to the last post. Like it better than the 'first unread post'

I know its not a major thing and doesnt change my enjoyment of the site but was just a small thing i used to use quite a lot. Completely understand if its not a feature compatible with the new board

its not a default feature, but there were a lot of cosmetic changes in this version that many board owners complained about ... will check to see if this issue has raised its head, and if so, whether there is a fix or modification to re-enable it ...... If it doesnt add too much overhead to the overall display of forums (sql queries etc), and it does actually exist, would be happy to put it back in .....

leave it with me

its not a default feature, but there were a lot of cosmetic changes in this version that many board owners complained about ... will check to see if this issue has raised its head, and if so, whether there is a fix or modification to re-enable it ...... If it doesnt add too much overhead to the overall display of forums (sql queries etc), and it does actually exist, would be happy to put it back in .....

leave it with me

Cheers thanks Scotty

Hey

I primarily use my laptop or Android smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S2) to use CTO and while on my lappy all seems well (TBH I thought the previous site ran perfectly anyway), at least it will be once I figure out all the wee changes. When I use my phone it often reverts to the normal skin rather than the mobile one, I of course just select it again from the option at the bottom of the page cos it's quite hard to navigate in the normal mode. Perviously this never happened with the old site and for example P&B which always seemed to know when I was using a mobile device.

Hardly the end of the world I know but is there any way to set either my phone, profile or whatever to fix this, or perhaps I have to invest a couple of quid in the forum viewing app (canne mind the name)?

Cheers guys.

I think I know the issue ..... it may not be that you are being switched from mobile skin to default skin, (which could be easier to solve actually) but it could be because the mobile skin has a few issues with display when combined with the content section ..... at least thats what I think as I get the same on iPhone !

If it was a simple issue with the site not recognising the user agent for the browser on your S2, that would likely be easier to fix ... we could simply take the string and make sure it was in the list of mobiles ....

However, the other problem needs a new skin, and for that we need to liase with the developers. I can skin the normal forum easily enough, but the mobile skin is another matter, especially when combined with articles/content

bear with me as I try to explain as best as I can .... let me know if this is similar to what you are getting .....

If I go to mobile view this is what I see. I did this on a browser so lined it up wide enough, but if viewed from my iPhone, the layout is not aligned.

post-2-0-94197500-1326158984_thumb.png

If you get this view you can then click here to go to bring up the quick menu that amongst other things allows you to go to "new content"

post-2-0-69901700-1326158994.png

post-2-0-76001400-1326159009.png

As you enter the site on the main front page, the default new content shows new articles since last visit ... but for most people that might come up blank. click on one of the filters (eg. by type) and change it to forums

post-2-0-90316900-1326159020.png

post-2-0-13088600-1326159031.png

You should then see it displayed this way and be able to read new content normally ........

post-2-0-02653100-1326159042.png

The forum viewing app I think you refer to is "tapatalk" and we have a thread about that on here. We can enable it for free on the forums, but the user pays for the actual app for their phone. We have not enabled it on here as no-one has told us they use it, and there is a bit of overhead in terms of database queries .... if we do have users wanting it, we can enable it, but I wouldnt waste your money right now as I think you would have the same issue .......

Thanks for your reply Scotty for a website I use for free your support is far better than companies I pay hundreds of pounds a year to!

I noticed the tapatalk thread only after I posted Doh! Something to consider, it's only a couple of pound and seems to get good reviews on the Android marketplace so I might give it a go, if I do get it I'll post there to let u know the outcome.

My problem seems different to your iphone issue, the better half has an iphone so I may see what happens with hers. But it simply seems to revert to the normal skin/site. I would be interested to see if other S2 users have this issue (Proctor I know u just got one). Like I said it's just weird cos it never happened b4 but don't worry about it I'll learn to cope lol.

Thx again.