Matchday Thread: ICT -V- Aberdeen

Scotty

Dundee Utd equalise against Hibs ... good goal for us :). Dunfermline getting hammered !

No such thing as a good United goal! :tongueincheek: Well done the day folks :clapping:

UTD take the lead...4 points from bottom, lets keep that gap growing

Not exactly vintage stuff...but if you'd offered me a 2-1 win before kickoff I'd have bitten your hand off.

The first half was absolutely brutal from both sides. The wind didn't help, but the number of poor touches and misplaced passes was astonishing. At half-time it had 0-0 written all over it. The start of the second period was much the same.

Then, out of nothing, Davis skins three players and brings a save out of their keeper. From the resulting corner, Golobart bullets in a header. A few minutes later we get another corner, the ball bobbles around a bit, and Tade's shot squirms through a crowd and into the bottom corner.

Of course, we can't make it easy on ourselves; Aberdeen got one back when Cox made a pig's ear of defending out wide, all the defenders ran to the near post and left Fallon unmarked at the back stick to pull one back. That said, Esson didn't really have a save to make before or after.

Not a great performance, but on a day like today only the three points matter. Golobart deserved MOTM for me, doing really well considering he got booked in the first minute. Gillet did a fantastic job alongside him. Davis was his usual Tank-like self, and Richie Foran had his best game at home for ages - he played deep in midfield again like last week and seems to bring us a bit of steel to that area of the pitch. Tade put in another great shift.

On the other hand, I thought Cox had a poor game, and McKay looked a bit lost up front on his own. Graeme Shinnie got a bit of a runaround in the second half as well.

4 points clear of Dunfermline (and hopefully Hibs) - lets make sure we increase that gap in midweek!

Thought McKay was excellent to be fair, He held the ball up really well, and battled for everything. Defence looked solid, Gillet and Golobart worked really well together. Davis was once again superb in the middle, and Foran looked like the player we know he can be.

Awful game though. Aberdeen are absolute garbage, and it'd be brilliant if they were to go down. The 3 points is all that matters though. If we can get a win on Weds night now then we can put some real distance between ourselves and the bottom teams.

Excellent result at a great time of the year against a team that to be fair have had some decent results over the last couple of weeks and stops us from becoming firmly adrift near the bottom considering the other results from today.

I always think we're a better team when we have games thick and fast and was convinced that if we had won today we would be able to carry some great momentum into the festive games and hope that it will help us on Wednesday against Hibs, the less time we have to think about games the better it seems to be for us.

Will enjoy todays success over Christmas and revel in the fact that I can gloat when I go back to work on Wednesday as I'm surrounded by flocks of diluded ''we're the third force in Scotland'' supporters.

Just listened to TB's post-match interview - Tokely and Andrew Shinnie both had calf injuries and might be back for midweek. Tansey was on the bench because he had been ill this week.

Jonny Hayes also on twitter saying he had the squits pre-match and had to knock back some imodium before the game!

As usual not allowed to hear any radio feeds here in Canada.

But, Phew! What a great 3 points.

This game started at 4.30 am in Vancouver so the first thing I did when I got up at 7.30a.m. was to mosey over to the computer to check this result.

Hope and pray that we win again on Wednesday. Every time we win, :wave: the confidence increases so....

Have a great Christmas, one and all. :wave:

Golobart was going to be my MOTM even before he scored,I felt were were going to take the lead when we did as Aberdeen were getting a bit sleepy, cheap goal to give away but excellent defending to keep it at 2-1. Solid defense,robust midfield(really impressed with Forans central midfield performance) and with Tade, McKay and Hayes getting into dangerous positions up front how could we go wrong, I was expecting a wonder goal out of nothing from Tansy with only a few minutes to spare and Sutherland did a good job too even if only for a short while at the end.

A pretty quiet 1st half but we left plenty in the engine room to be effective in the second half.

The team got a well deserved applause from the fans after the final whistle and it was good of Tade to applaud back then go up and shake a few hands at the North stand.

Merry christmas to all.

Dreadful game to watch but we deserved the win. Aberdeen really didn't look like scoring until we were 2 up.

Considering we were down to the bare bones of a squad again with injuries to Rossco and Andrew Shinnie, and the squits bug doing the rounds, the boys put in a great performance. We also got next to no favours from the officials especially with Mawene's umpteen tackles from behind on Billy McKay going unpunished.

Well done guys, the only way is up especially with another poor team to contend with on Wednesday. Let's see if you can help get Fenlon the sack before the end of 2011.

MASSIVE three points, especially given the need to shore up the defence and minus Shinnie and Tansey - and then the added bonus of the Dumbfarmlife and the Pope's 2nd X1 results.

And nice to see the feckin Sheep got a close up view of the goals.

But hands up who needed some Immodium after Fallon had scored ?!!

We played better at Ibrox last week and lost, shows what a funny game football really is.

It was a real solid display from everyone today though. Given that we were missing our top scorer and best defender today id say we did fairly well and given what happened to Hibs today im sure the team will be well fired up for the 28th.

Roman Golobart - take a bow son, he was absolutely colossal today. He won everything, headers, tackles and some great no nonsense stuff. Was worthy of the goal, only emphasised how good he was today. Hoping he stays on, he seems to have found his feet and cut out the faffing about he got up to in his first few games. Thought Foran gave a solid display in the holding role. Some good tackles and some vital headers in the box as well. I think he should just stay in that role for the remainder of the season.

It's not often we score from a corner but to get 2 was brilliant. Golobart caught his header brilliantly and Tade's came purely from the fact he reacted quickest. Also worth pointing out Tade has already surpassed his tally from last season at Raith, heres hoping he has a few more come May time.

To sum up its good to see us beating one of the teams around us in the league and some distance between us and the foot of the table developing. Bring on the Hibees.

Just back in from the Innes and very pleased with that performance. The wind dictated a lot of play and made it stuffy at times but we were the better team. Tade and Hayes had some great runs. McKay was excellent and Golabart was fantastic. Hopefully we can keep hm until the end of the season now! Merry Terry Christmas!!! Roll on the Hibs game!:ictscarf:

A deserved result against a team we have always have difficulty beating. Aberdeen were very physical, hurtling into players, scuffing and niggling. Mackie should have had a red card for punching one of our players off the ball - hope it is reviewed. They came for a draw, made it a dull spectacle, but thanks to Davis for his power drive and shot which created the corner from which we scored. Tade was the only of our three forwards who created chances and took on the Dons defenders, though out on the right it was then difficult to capitalise on his runs. Would have been worth a go in the middle, with McKay struggling to make any impact. Top marks to Tade for going over to the home support and celebrating with them (the only ICT player to do so) after the game, delighting the kids. He was my MOTM, for his great attitude and application.

That was an awful game. I can't really think of anything that happened in the first half of the game. Aberdeens long throws were causing some problems but I can't remember any clear cut chances for either team.

Second half and Aberdeen suddenly decided to stop defending corners. The first one was a relatively simple inswinger from Hayes which found Golabart to flick home. Not sure what happened with the second but an outswinging corner from Hayes seemed to cause confusion in the box and Tade poked the lose ball home.

Poor tracking from Cox allowed Milson some space on the Aberdeen left and his ball in fizzed across goal and was tucked away by Fallon. Queue lots of worried ICT fans chewing their finger nails off for the final 10 minutes or so but we held on to take a vital three points.

Really not much to talk about in terms of the game which was low on quality but I think we edged it (just). Healthy Aberdeen support through as well. Would say at least 1,800 fans made it through.

Mackie however provided proved yet again that he is a completely classless prick after aiming a sly kick at Golabart whilst the referee looked away and then, after the whistle had already gone, launching himself into a rash challenge on the same player (I think). Completely needless and showed just how little class the guy has.

Good performances for ICT from Golabart, Davies and Hayes. Huge game against Hibs on Wednesday (?) now. Hopefully we can win back to back games for the first time in, well, forever.

Edited by RiG

Well, xmas eve and that's actually the first time I've seen ICT win this season. When we went 2 up it was a good time to get on to the bookies and see if we got a good price to win the game :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

However after the Dons got their very cheap goal, the predicted onslaught never happened. They never put us under any pressure at all.

Poor game but I'll take the points - we can only be stronger on Wed. Looking forward to it.

Happy birthday big man (you know who you are). Hope you enjoyed the Chivas Regal.