Caledonian Stadium will look second best

dougal

Worrying news from Dingwall tonight from one of their local rags

http://www.ross-shirejournal.co.uk/News/Rapid-upgrade-plan-for-Victoria-Park-7507275.htm

It looks like they could soon be in the process of constructing a stadium in Dingwall that will be compliant for the SPL

I personally don't have a problem with them being in the SPL with us but I do feel that they will have a far superior stadium

Let's be completely honest here our stadium is an uncomplete shambles that was thrown up as a temporary measure so we could play our home games in Inverness

Our board have stalled badly when it comes to stadium upgrade or improvements

Why do we still have two temporary stands behind both goals? surely these should have been bulldozed by now and replaced with permanent structures

Why has a fourth stand not been constructed? This would have made our stadium complete keeping the atmosphere in and the wind and elements out

It's time for our board to act and sort out our ground because if they don't I fear we are going to be left behind by our neighbours from the countryside

Dougal

Why has a fourth stand not been constructed? This would have made our stadium complete keeping the atmosphere in and the wind and elements out

Because we don't need one. Aesthetics alone isn't a good enough reason to build a stand.

Worrying news from Dingwall tonight from one of their local rags

http://www.ross-shir...ark-7507275.htm. It looks like they could soon be in the process of constructing a stadium in Dingwall that will be compliant for the SPL

Old news rehashed.

I personally don't have a problem with them being in the SPL with us but I do feel that they will have a far superior stadium

You have seen the blueprints I assume ?

All I have really seen or heard about is converting existing terracing into ICT style 'temporary' stands to bring it up to 6000 seats ... a full 1773 seats less than TCS. The only advantage they may have is that there could be stands on all 4 sides, but more of that below.

Also, the project length is about the same as it took to build our stands, and the cost is lower (presumably because the stands themselves are smaller), so not sure how that automatically equates to a better facility ?

What would be even more concerning to me if I was a County fan would be what seems to be a pretty wide scope of cost ... If they are ready to build, and know how long it will take, then how do they not have the cost nailed down a bit more accurately? with a variance of 33% in terms of the low and high ends of their projected figures it seems they may well be looking to see where corners can be cut economies can be made.

Let's be completely honest here our stadium is an uncomplete shambles that was thrown up as a temporary measure so we could play our home games in Inverness. Our board have stalled badly when it comes to stadium upgrade or improvements. Why do we still have two temporary stands behind both goals? surely these should have been bulldozed by now and replaced with permanent structures

Depends how you define 'temporary' in terms of the structure. Temporary in this sense means it has a certain lifespan as opposed to say a brick built structure that might last for a century or more. In this context temporary does not equate to short term or "cheap" that you seem to think it does and these stands will be around for a good few years.

Whilst construction was quick and efficient, due in no small part to the design of the structures themselves, and a Caley Thistle season-ticket holding project manager who was "motivated" to make sure the project finished as quickly as possible, they were not "thrown up" ... and they will not be bulldozed quickly either given that they cost in excess of 7 figures to construct. Unless you have been living under a rock, or at sea for a while, you may have noticed we're not exactly flush with cash at the moment but if you want to donate a couple of million to the fund to get it up and running feel free to do so.

As for bashing the board ... predictable and snoozeworthy as usual.

incidentally, to add to the "temporary" stands debate .... the entire structure of BMO Stadium in Toronto with the exception of the main stand is of a similar "temporary" nature and quite happily holds 20,000+ for every home game. It cost in excess of $62m to build these "temporary" structures .... and like ICT, TFC will not be tearing them down anytime soon .... unless it is to increase the size of the stadium.

Could have something to do with the high pressure gas transmission line that runs alongside the A9 between the stadium and the road .... in fact, I know it has because this was given as the reason when this subject was debated in depth on here and also on P&B.

It's time for our board to act and sort out our ground because if they don't I fear we are going to be left behind by our neighbours from the countryside

Utter bollocks !!!

• Agree 7

"Could have something to do with the high pressure gas transmission line that runs alongside the A9 between the stadium and the road .... in fact, I know it has because this was given as the reason when this subject was debated in depth on here and also on P&B."

If there is a HP gas main in the vicinity, then there will be a minimum proximity distances in place so no structures can be built nearbye! Also dependant on the pipe diameter and length, there will be a 6 figure sum required to move it for a 4th stand!

Not our priority!!

"Could have something to do with the high pressure gas transmission line that runs alongside the A9 between the stadium and the road .... in fact, I know it has because this was given as the reason when this subject was debated in depth on here and also on P&B."

If there is a HP gas main in the vicinity, then there will be a minimum proximity distances in place so no structures can be built nearbye! Also dependant on the pipe diameter and length, there will be a 6 figure sum required to move it for a 4th stand!

Not our priority!!

Could we not connect the gas up & form a deflatable bouncy castle type stand !

• Agree 6

It's astounding how much inference you can drag out of an article that is primarily about how difficult it's going to be to put USH in Victoria Park. Go be a phisherman in some other pond.

• Agree 1

Worrying news from Dingwall tonight from one of their local rags http://www.ross-shir...ark-7507275.htm

our stadium is an uncomplete shambles

Aye, here we have Dougal fishing for a reaction again - and with a newspaper story, the substance of which has actually been in the public domain for a very long time because it's several years now since County obtained planning permission and fixed a 12 week timescale for upgrading VP. So maybe try to wind people up using new news next time Doogie boy? I for one would be delighted to see Ross County alongside ICT in the SPL next season and I really hope they have to put their plans into force. What Dougal of course has failed - or rather declined - to mention is that the Caledonian Stadium is 1700 odd in excess of the current 6000 SPL requirement - for which ICT can take a great deal of credit since they were instrumental in having the absurd 10,000 limit scrapped in 2004. No mention either of the fact that current capacity is perfectly adequate and that the absence of a fourth large stand makes advertising visible from the A9, hence increasing its value to the club.

He also declines to mention that these stands have a perfectly adequate lifetime, they look perfectly normal and acceptable and, in the event of ICT moving home at any point, they could presumably be shifted to the new location, hence reducing costs. Anyway, I've said enough since even this brief response is in danger of conferring some credibility on Dougal's latest attempt to stir people up. Oh and by the way Dougal....INcomplete is the word you're looking for.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Charlie,

Having just read Against all the Odds and refreshed my thoughts about the financial challenges faced by ICT, I conclude 'one Dougal spending too long on his Magic Roundabout' to be rational here.

Certainly an SPL Christmas derby would be fantastic against County but we are not safe from relegation and County's exuberance is being hauled back by the chasing pack. An injury to Grant Munro and they might start a calamitous slide. Their current unbeaten run smacks not of ours but Dundee's that took them flying high...........................

Don't think we should feel ashamed of our stadium in any way it has a unique character. As for atmosphere yes it is lacking but that goes for many larger and more conventional grounds too. What does need sorting is the state of the car park. To charge two quid to park on what in winter resembles either a swamp or an ice rink is not on.

Call it fishing,winding up,trolling whatever I don't really give a dam

It's time some of you roasters wake up and start to see the stagnation of our club( possibly even decline) while our near neighbours are progressing on and off the pitch at an alarming rate of knots

If county do indeed get promoted I will be proved right regarding the stadium situation, albeit a smaller ground they will have the better facilities a more compact ground and one that will be more atmospheric and less exposed to the elements

I"ll be honest here I was totally unaware of the situation regarding the mains gas pipeline but this makes the whole location of our stadium the more unbelievable

Apart from the usual cyber bampots on CTO most ICT fans I know strongly dislike the location and design of TCS and I know for a fact visiting fans regard our ground as one of if not the worst in the league

The gap between us and County is diminishing at an alarming rate, do we really want to see them with a complete stadium, a larger average attendance and more worrying a better team on the park????

Anyway I'm off into town for a few pints before heading to the game

Dougal

Edited by dougal

Dougal should maybe stop and think before he spouts. The first thing to say is that our end stands are not temporary, contrary to the opinion of some. They are permanent stands of a design, used in many stadia, that could, if so desired, be dismantled and rebuilt elsewhere. There is nothing temporary about the tens of thousands of tonnes of concrete thay sit on. The misconception that the structures were temporary came about when we applied for permission to erect temporary scaffolding type stands to allow us to start playing at TCS from the beginning of the promotion season.

Secondly, we dont need a fourth stand. Even St Johnstone are going to a three stand stadium. All that County are doing is building the same type of stand as we have, at one ends and extending the other stands to accomodate a few more seats.

Superiority is what is displayed on the field of play. Not what the stadia looks like.

Perhaps, dougal, if you feel they will be the more superior club with the more superior stadium then you should feck off over the bridge and stop spouting your crap on these forums.

They rest of us will take pride in what we have achieved, what we will achieve, where we are and what we have.

Edited by Alex MacLeod
  • Agree 3

OK, so Dougal is trying to wind people up (and succeding very well, it would appear!) but to be fair, the point that our stadium is probably the worst in the league is one that I would certainly agree with.

Putting aside all the reasons for why it is where it is and the way it is, it is undeniably a windswept ground with no atmosphere. And I accept that there is no money around to do anything about it and we are stuck with it. But the Board must realise that the lack of atmosphere is a major factor in keeping crowds down and, probably more important, will be a factor in players not wanting to play here. When playing at home players want a good atmoshere to lift them and it simply doesn't exist at TCS. I've heard more singing at a wee free funeral than I heard at the ground today. Continued long term success requires a better stadium than we currently have and that must be a long term objective for the Board.

It is surely not controversial to suggest that if County get promoted and make improvements to their ground, they will have a better ground than us. After all, let's face it, they already have a better ground than us.

• Agree 3