Matchday Thread: ICT -V- Dunfermline

Scotty

A comedy of errors. how many games have there been where both keepers made nearly identical schoolboy howlers which resulted in goals? Fresh air kicks by both of them balanced the game out, although as has been mentioned it seems Gillet was unlucky in as much as it was a tussle for the ball after Tuffey hashed it, and both of them hacking at it, with Gillet being punished on the last man rule. We def played the better football, Dunf's aim was merely to get behind the ball and see the game out. Foran had some effective runs at their defence, Tade threw himself around with great application, but no-one could engineer a clear effort on goal. The final irony of this slightly farcical affair was that Dunf got done because they had wasted so much time - had they not, they would have been in the dressing room before their keeper's howler. So justice was done, after some spectacularly inept efforts at timewasting - sudden need to examine socks and boots for a long time before taking goalkicks and fouls, with the best one a corner to them, where nobody went to take it, the ref telling them 'well, somebody has to take it', as they all look the other way. Definitely only a £15 game, in fact I would say a £10 game, so CaleyThistle you owe me £5.

Edited by The Long Man
  • Agree 2

Only 1600-- Wow. ?

Once upon a time the Sottish Cup could fill the ground. Sad days I must say.

If Caley Thistle can stave off relegation and make even a little bit of money from the 'Cup this season then I think we can count our blessings.

Terry, for whatever reason, your plans for the team are not working out this season and if you can't stabilise this team with decent regulars, preferably Scottish ones and from the North, you could be in trouble next season. I can't help wondering what John Robertson would have done with the club this season had he been the Manager?

I'm all for giving any new person a chance but if you bring in players who do not have both feelings for this Northern club where can we go and what can we expect from them. Loanees and sudden disappearances (e.g. Davis) are creating a veryunstable climate I fear. But , at least , if we can get Golobart on a good contract atb the end of the season wouldn't that be a victory . Johhny will be off though, I fear so Terry will have to be on the 'phone again and again to try and get more decent players in.

Oh My! Scarlet is so confused.

I'm going to piss into the wind with this one but I wasn't overly impressed with Golabart. He made some well timed tackles but his distribution from the back was extremely poor. I lost count of the number of aimless punts forward he attempted with a number in the second half sailing out for goal kicks to Dunfermline. Doesn't seem to like a simple pass!

...with Gillet being punished on the last man rule...

There is no such rule. It's the denial of a goal / an obvious goal scoring opportunity that Gillet will have been sent off for.

Yeah I agree with that. He was certainly solid enough defensively like I say I just wish he would have a wee think before he blooters it forward! That said, it is also up to his team mates to offer him an option to doing this. We lacked creativity badly in the middle of the pitch and our only outlet out wide was Hayes. It was a game that saw very few chances for us and that is something that must be addressed urgently.

Ouch....that has to be the least entertaining game of football at TCS in a long time. I was going to suggest it was a pantomime, but you couldn't even pass it off as a comedy of errors.

On a positive note....an equaliser in the final minute does suggest our luck might be changing!!!

i don't think it's fair to go on about or lack of creativity. yes, we were poor in our attempts to create chances but over the season imo we've actually created a fair amount of good chances in nearly every game.

Scarlet, agree with you about Terry's penchant for musical football chairs, don't know how we develop a settled side with this mania for an ever rotating carousel of loanees and triallists. On the Terry front, he added to the surreal comedy of the day by doing his Basil Fawlty impersonation on the touchline as an impending defeat loomed. He seemed to be going ballistic at Meerkins who had just come on, telling him to stay back near the goalkeeper (for passes out?) and spent an absurd amount of time remonstrating with him. Poor guy looked thoroughly confused, as baffled as us at the raging nature of his 'coaching'. Five minutes later he was yelling at them to kick up the park, as the watch ticked down. He seems to combine Basil Fawlty with Tony Soprano, no wonder the players were nervy.

I think it's fair to say it is now official - 'Useless' Euan Norris is the worst official in Scottish football. Not content with screwing us over against Rangers, he appeared determined from the outset to allow our opponents to take liberties all over the pitch.

I don't agree with that at all. As the Pars got more and more negative in the closing 20 minutes he clamped down on them hard. I've never seen us awarded so many free kicks. Will need to see the red card incident again but we only have ourselves to blame for the melee that lead to it. No complaints about the referee from me. What let us down today was our overly cautious tactics and slack play in the final third. Dunfermline are shocking at the back, it made no sense playing a lone striker against a dodgey defense and keeper. Even when we went to a back 3 they offered little threat on the break. We should have been pushing forward right from the start imo. When we did work the ball into dangerous areas we usually squandered the good work with a duff cross. Something that needs to be worked on in training surely. Also worth nothing that we were at our most dominant when we increased the tempo. At times we were guilty of letting Dunfermline drag us down to their level imo. When we got the ball down and pushed men forward we looked a class above them.

Overall it was a decent performance. Golobart was man of the match by a mile.

That was a brutal game of football. ICT weren't great, but Dunfermline were dreadful and look candidates for the drop in the SPL already. This actually felt more like a league than a cup game where no one wanted to lose. We adapted well to the loss of Gillet, I really couldn't see what the sending off was for, but then Euan Norris is mystifying at the best of times. Midfield was OK, but never really had any control of the game in an offensive sense. Golobart was excellent again - I hear what others say about him belting the ball clear but that's exactly what he was getting slagged for not doing a couple of months ago. We really do need a striker though.

The biggest positive for me is that I am not a Pars fan. I can't imagine what they must be thinking. Up to the point of their controversial goal they were probably the least bad of 2 poor sides. Then with a goal lead and a man advantage against a team with a poor defence at best and three of the better defenders not playing, what do they do? They shamelessly waste time and show no ambition and even less ability to score a second and make the game safe. Then they shoot themselves in the foot by conceding an equaliser as a result of a farcial defensive blunder in the dying seconds of time added on for their own time wasting.

Poor though we were and disappointing as it should be to only draw at home against the bottom side in the League, I left the stadium with a broad grin on my face. And it wasn't just because we got out of jail today, it was because I can be confident that we will not go down this season. Pars fans will surely be worried not so much about getting relegated this season, but about the prospect of relegation from the 1st division next season.

It has been a while since I was last able to go to a match and I have to say that in the first half I was really quite shocked at how bad we were. As often happens, things improved when we went down to 10 men and after what was probably a no holds barred rollicking from Terry at half time - but it was still poor. There was far too much in the way of high balls punted up to wee McKay up front, poor shooting, overhit crosses, underhit corners and poor, even foul, throw ins. Not good.

Foran for me was the stand out player but the rest of the midfield had games they will want to forget. Tade put in a decent shift up front considering the poor support and Golobart and Piermayr were solid at the back.

We finally got a bit of luck today and miraculously are still in the cup. We now need to head down the A9 on the 17th and finish them off. On the Pars showing today, it really shouldn't be too difficult.

Golobart man of the match by a mile. Many folk have been moaning, myself included, that we lost a centre back at the end of last season who could defend but couldn't pass a ball to save himself, ie Grant the hoofer. Well Golobart looked today like his double and boy was I glad that we had him on our side. The lad is only 19 and my guess is that we will be watching TV in 5 or 6 years time saying 'did he really play for us?'

Foran had a very good 60 minutes but then he gets tired and cannot find a man with a pass. Mackay also, IMHO, had a good game, he holds the ball up well, and is the only player in the team with a first touch and is tricky in the box.

Be positive, we will skin them at East End Park.

Although I am the eternal optimist, I really do wonder where our goals are going to come from after watching today's performance.

I know we were down to ten men today, but I had the same thoughts during the Aberdeen game also.

Hopefully when A. Shinnie gets back in the team the dynamics will change.

Had to laugh at the final whistle! did pars deserve that or what? they are shyte, in fact i'll say it in capitals... SHYTE. we had our poorest display of the season and still scraped a draw with 10 men.

Our display was very poor, wrong tactics and some players (Jonny included) didnt seem up for today, and being a cup game this surprised me a tad. with the pressures of the league suspended one might have thought the team could relax and play some football..... errrrr wrong!

Even our recent hero David Davis loooked a wee bit subdued as we struggled to get a few passes together and create chances, i'll have to say we didnt realise how bad the wind was till near full time as we watched from the corner of the north stand, this must have made things difficult to say the least.

Anyhow by the time the replay comes we should be back to full strength, but i cant help feeling that Tansey/Cox are not in the same league as Davis and we might miss the guy.

Well I was wanting Auchlenleck Tablot before the draw - now I'm glad we didn't get them cause they would've won yesterday. But seriously, that was bad, really bad. Plan A seemed to consist of long hoofs towards 5"7 Billy McKay who was up against two centre backs, both well over 6 foot! Absolute nonsense, no wonder he did nothing. Plan B by the way, didn't exist! As soon as Gillet was sent off the team seemed to have no idea what they were doing - Hayes, McKay and Tade seemed unsure what their actual position was.

Foran is a far better player in the middle of the park than up-front and it showed yesterday. Golobart was solid enough, but three times he tried to shoot from miles out which was just pointless. The substitutions seemed awfully odd too - Cox was poor throughout and should've been hooked for Meekings by half time at least, but no, that change doesn't happen till the game's nearly over. Why was wasn't Sutherland put on when chasing the game? In fact, why wasn't he on from the start? Doesn't seem to get a game half as much anymore and he was the type of player that was needed yesterday. Also, I think the calls for Tuffey to replace Esson will die down now - his distribution, particularly from his feet was very poor and he looked quite prone to errors.

Things can only get better I suppose.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 3

Damned if they do and damned if they dont. Its not so long ago that Golobart was being slated for being too fancy and trying to play his way out of situations. Now he's slated for clearing the ball as quick as possible. Same with Gillet. Not so long ago since Butcher was being slated for trying to stick with the same players. Now he's slated for trying to slot a very minimul squad together. As for comments about 'loanee mania'. Thats no fault of Butchers. Thats entirely down to budgets. I'm quite sure Terry would love to have the sort of budget where he can bring in the right players on decent deals. Alas! thats not likely to happen at TCS in the near future. Especially with such a dismall crowd for a saturday afternoon home game against a fellow SPL team.

• Agree 2

Wrong tactics from Butcher. One up front five in midfield against the worst team in the league WTF. To be fair to Billy Mackay there was times when he had the ball and there was not a blue shirt near him, isolated was an understatement. If ever there was a time for Sutherland to get a run that was it.

Why show so much respect o a really poor Dunfermline team, was really expecing a performance yesterday but that was woeful.

• Agree 1

this probably isn't a popular point of view, but is Sutherland not getting a game because he's just not good enough? Billy McKay nearly scored an absolute peach in the first half, and was supported until the sending off. Apart from that, he ran himself to a standstill - not really too much respect, more of a realisation of the reality of the situation. After the sending off, the priority becomes not losing. Just ask Man City.

• Agree 1

'The club also announced on Monday that manager Terry Butcher had decided to appeal against the red card shown to

Kenny Gillet

during Saturday's 1-1 William Hill Scottish Cup draw against Dunfermline.'

Slow motion evidence shows Barrowman kicking Kenny and falling over. Kenny clearly wins the ball. In rea

l time it is easy to see how the referee took the decision he took.

Erm, wasn't it a tangle between Kirk and Gillet?

Not according to BBC report

_57759531_cup.jpg

The game sparked to life on 29 minutes when Gillet was shown a straight red card following a mix-up with Tuffey.

Caley Thistle's goalkeeper failed to clear a long ball and Barrowman nipped in before being brought down by Gillet on the edge of the box.

Referee Euan Norris gave the Frenchman his marching orders and Hardie's low free-kick was parried by Tuffey for Barrowman to nod home from close range.

Yet looking at highlights it clearly is the No 10

Edited by Alex MacLeod