Motherwell -V- ICT : Matchday Thread

Scotty

Just back. It wasn't the best game but I was happy with Caley's performance. Richie Foran dropped out from our XI due to suspension and Nick Ross came into the side to replace him. The match started with Motherwell making most of the pressing, as you'd expect as the home team. They had most of the game and were stretching our back four reasonably well, albeit without causing any real difficulties to our goal. As the half went on, Golobart had to slide in to deny Higdon (I think) and there was a massive shout for handball, which obviously you couldn't see from our end. Omar Daley, who looked lively, had an opening in the box but sent his shot way over.

As the match moved towards half-time, we came into the match a bit more and started to threaten the 'Well goal. Mainly this was restricted to long range efforts and hard work from Billy McKay to create an opening, but at half-time I was fairly pleased with how things were going.

We started the second half well, forcing a series of corners and creating a few openings. Gregory Tade (who had looked poor in the first half) was making more threatening runs down the left and Jonny Hayes was getting more involved in the game, including a great chance right at the start of the half where he jinked to the byline but saw his shot blocked. As this was happening, Well did make chances but I thought ouir defence did a good job. I haven't been to many games this season but it was the first time I've thought our back four looked reasonably solid. Golobart is a fine player and is capable of telling tackles and interceptions and can also pass the ball.

We were on top and had our best chance thus far when Tade was played through in the left hand channel and bore down on goal, only to see his shot blocked by Randolph for a corner. I'd been despairing at Tade in the first half but he did well here and forced a corner. Even better was to come midway through the second half when he took a ball in to feet, spun past his marker and cracked a stunning shot into the top corner. It was an absolutely superb strike, an indication of what he is capable of when he concentrates.

We picked up from such a great goal and carved oiut a couple of half chances following this but the anxiety of our team not having had a clean sheet started showing and we began sitting deeper. Butcher obviously felt it too as he put on Steve Williams and David Proctor, leaving our players confused as to who was supposed to be doing what in the back four, which became something approaching a back seven! We held out though and the players, especially the defenders, showed what it meant to them with passionate celebrations at the end.

Our best players were Golobart, who is a cool customer at the back, and Lee Cox, who is energetic and makes space very well in the midfield. Tade deserves a mention as well for his goal and his second half showing.

• Agree 2

A great team effort today which sets down a marker for the rest of season. Taking the Pars result into account the team should now be looking up the table rather than down. Golabart seems to be coming on to great form. A special mention to Tade whose goal was superb.

Bbc Alba, can you show our matches every week beacause we always win when you televise the game.

• Agree 1

Just in. Good battling performance, Golobart and Gillet were excellent. I believe we had 160 fans there, but was a nice change being back behind the goals. Tade worked his arse off and his finish was sublime, looking forward to the reply midweek now!

Great result. It is also 7 points from the last 3 games and the first clean sheet of the season. This and the pars dismal form should give the team some real confidence for the rest of the season. If Dunfermline accumulate points for the rest of the season at the rate they have for the season to date, they will end up with only 25 or 26 at the end of the season. We already have 22 and even if we continue to average a point a game we will end on 38. Dunfermline are going to have to improve their form considerably to catch us. This thought should give the lads some confidence to go out and play the kind of attractive attacking football they are capable of. We are also only 5 points off 6th place. After a shakey start, this could turn into a pretty good season.

If we were ever going top keep a clean sheet, then statistically Motherwell at Fir Park was perhaps our best chance - Mothewell have only managed 7 goals at home (from 10 games) which is the worst home scoring record of any club (and is as bad as any teams away scoring record too).

Felt Esson looked pretty shaky at times today, couple goalmouth scrambles where he miss timed his punch, also one in second half where he slid in and you expected him to gather ball but instead kicked it. Anyone agree?

Still not complaining, first clean sheet !!

• Agree 1

Fine summary from ictchris. Gillet also deserves a mention for playing the sweeper role with such composure - one of the best games I've seen him have for us. The players' attitude was first class and it was great to be there to watch them record their first cleanshit of the season. We could do with a little more creativity going forward against Hearts though- I'd like to see Andrew Shinnie coming in, maybe for Ross (although he had a decent game yesterday), to link play up to Mackay a little more fluently.

Really enjoyed the game as live on bbc Alba, it was a great team effort so well done but theres no time spare to feel smug about it as we still have to knock a team out of a cup midweek and the last time we played them in the cup, I considered the Pars to be a big club, its been that long ago. Weve beaten them many a time since then, so hopefully its a good game to watch.

ESSON :wink: :wink: :wink: Looked nervous and appeared more intent on punching and kicking but - hey ho - a feckin clean sheet as the end result.

JULIE ANDREWS :wink: :wink: :wink: Solid enuff without being noticed. Evidently his call was to defend and stay.

GILLET :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: As a past "libero" I could not fail but be impressed by his performance. He has the pace and the brain to play in that position but I was surprised by his ability in the air - he really has a basketball player bounce. my MOM

PAELLA PIE EATER :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: Has the potential to be a wee cult hero - first to salute the awat end at the final whissel. He is still raw and makes mistakes but he will do fer this season.

G SHINNIE :wink: :wink: :wink: Basiscally a Julie McAndrews.

JOHNNY HAYES :wink: :wink: :wink: That must have been a weighted feckin captains band. Doesnt he feckin annoy you. He has so much potential but he was cocky and out of sots yesterday - but has to be started as he is our main quality player.

OOX :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: He is almost 100% fit and back to the Russell Duncan influence.

TANSEY :wink: :wink: :wink: Flitted in and out of the game - needs a good game and a goal as his self confidence looks as if it is on the wane.

ROSS :wink: :wink: :wink: Was it just me or has Nicky lost a bit of his sparkle - one of my fave players and future cap prospect but is he falling out of love with ICT ?

TADE :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: Where the feck was he supposed to be playing in the first half - sure I saw him going to the feckin toilets and the snack bar at some stage but - probably in front of Terry and Mo in the second hald he was shackled to the left midfield role - and feck me did he do well - Juanjoesque turn fer the goal - Blobby Mann shot - aint going to call him Djebi Tade no more - although Gillet tade will never be a Carribean dance troupe !!

MCKAY :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: Had me doubts abot this wee man but that was a Dargoesque in nature - he filled the boots of a real target man but what would he be like plying beside one ??

As fer Steve Wiliams - the chant of "he's just a sad **** from Chorley" was bang out of order. :rasta:

• Agree 1

As fer Steve Wiliams - the chant of "he's just a sad **** from Chorley" was bang out of order. :rasta:

You would know about that ya faggot..................right that's me just arrived in Hamburg, after I've had a bite to eat and some window shopping I'm off to check out the stadium incase we get them in Europe next season..........

Don't think Esson had much choice with the punching. Lot of height in the Motherwell team and that meant a lot of high balls being played in to the area....Esson's not the tallest of keepers so it was punch them away or stand off and deal with whatever came at him as a result.

It might not have been pretty, but it proved effective....and since we're judging performance then that's what counts.

Drove down to the game early on Saturday morning to get to hospitality for 12.30...

Had a car drive into the side of me a farts breath from the stadium, but everyone was ok... Great start to the day.

Now a so called friend is making a claim against me for a sore hand..... He still managed to drink the drink & eat the meal I paid for.... (When he has admited to me there is nothing wrong with him...)

But on the bright side, we had a clean sheet, 3 points & I found out you can't trust anyone these days!