Hayes: Pre contract

PandB

would not surprise me .... given his performances, and who could blame him if he signed it .... but ever hopeful its bull .... where's the emoticon for fingers crossed !!!!

• Agree 2

Gutted if this is true. Hayes has always been destined for bigger things but i had hoped we would get another season or two with him in the team. Would be a tough job holding down a starting role when he would be competing with the likes of Forrest, Commons, McCourt, Ledley et al

I fully expect him to sign a PCA this window, he's earned a move to a bigger club. To be honest I'll be very pleased for him if its with a club the size of Celtic - I'd be gutted though if he went to the likes of Dundee Utd or Hibs.

• Agree 1

Can only say whats been said. I fully expect him to leave after this season but i only hope its to a better club than us. Somewhere like Dundee Utd would be very short sighted.

Wouldve thought he would want to move back to England.

First rumour is he`s going to celtic which by my reckoning means this wont happen - as teams from the championship or even ambitious lower league teams

would surely trump 1st offers. If Adam Rooney can get a move to the Brum , Cowie to Watford, I`d expect Hayes to follow on & get to the likes of Cardiff, Leeds

or even Bristol City.

I know we all want Johnny Hayes to stay with us, he is a good and clever player. and has been a Godsend to us.

A move eventually yes to a good strong club but not the O.F. Most of the time all they want to do is buy any threats from other teams to reduce opposition quality, they don't care about the actual player. Personally I think he is too shrewd to fall for the Celtic trap and will stay with us a while yet.

• Agree 3

Going to Celtic would be a mistake I reckon. Chances are he won't get a game as much as he would here (in the same way that Mark Brown didn't), and would essentially be up against the same opposition as he is now - just less frequently! How will he grow as player if that's the case? How will he grow as player under the "expert coaching" of Neil Lennon? If he is going to go, he should go somewhere where he can get a game and really show to more people what he can do. That'll get him places - not by sitting on the Celtic bench. I heard a while ago that he misses playing in England - if he is going to go, then I hope that's to where it is. There's no reason why he can't play in the Premiership in a few years and going to a Championship/upper League 1 side is where he's more likely to fulfil his potential and show people what he can really do.

I would say winning medals and competing in Europe is better than hoping to get into a play-off place in the Championship. Wherever he goes, he has to believe he can play in the first team. After all, if he doesn't believe in himself, who else will?

Unlike Rooney, I don't think he has to strike whilst the iron is hot. If the service wasn't there for Adam, he would struggle to get noticed. Hayes seems to have a lot more about him. I thought Adam made the right choice in moving sooner rather than later but Hayes will get better and better the more he plays. I hope he stays, don't blame him for moving, even to Celtic - but it might be worth him staying for a year to get back to being red hot.

• Agree 1

I heard that he may move to Celtic a month ago, but as Johnny likes a pint and a night out, I honestly think that either side of the old firm would be really bad news for our Dublin boy. I would hope that he would be given plenty of advice before he decides where he will go next, as i think he will be elsewhere next August. Glasgow gold fish bowl not the place for a player who likes to go out

Dont think bauhaus is referring to excessive drinking .... just the fact that Glasgow is such a goldfish bowl that players from either half of the OF cannot really go out and enjoy a pint and a night out like they might in other cities in Scotland, or in England without getting hassle from the other side of the divide.

Thinking about it, with no money and the likes of Davis probably going, Rangers is probably a better club for Hayes than Celtic. He could thrive there in a footballing sense. I'd rate him a far bigger prospect than the likes of Sandaza (yep, I know they're different positions).

Edited by starchief

exactly what I am meaning Scotty, he would be a target for one half of the divide, constantly. Yes Starchief, Rangers would be better for him as far as time on the pitch is concerned, but has their ever been an Irish Republican sign for Rangers. That would really break down a barrier, but do you think Johnny could handle hatred from both green and some extreme blue

Whilst I feel that jonny could/probably will go on to bigger and better things I agree that glasgow would probably be totally the wrong place for him for the reasons above. Jonny is a visible/outgoing person in Inverness who seems to enjoy eating out etc so dont think the goldfilsh bowl atmosphere would suit his lifestyle at all.

Anyone else think that maybe that to move on could be a big mistake. Yes he will probably get a fair chunk more dosh where he goes...but to offset that...he will not lead a less comfortable personal life than he has up here. Anywhere outside the highlands is going to be a lot more "in your face". To me...theres more to consider than just money, and i doubt he will be a standout player elsehwere than he is here.

• Agree 1

He will go ... the only question is when.

The ambition of any professional footballer must be to play at the highest level that he can for both club and country and without slagging off ICT, he does have the ability to play at a higher level than for us ..... even if that was for one of the evil twins ...

However, as noted in this thread, given the baggage that comes with playing for (or managing) one half of the OF, and just living a normal life in that city, especially as an Irish sportsman, I would hope he considers his next move very carefully and maybe holds out for a Championship side. I agree with SMEE to a certain extent in that life may not be as "comfortable" as he has it up here if he were to go elsewhere, but an up and coming role at a Championship side in England would certainly not be as stressful as it could be in the Glasgow goldfish bowl.

I would love to see him stay at ICT for his whole career, but lets face it, thats not going to happen. At some point we will not be able to pay him what he is worth, and his agent or he himself will doubtless receive some eyebrow raising offers that he cannot refuse ... Its a short career (relatively speaking) and even if money does not motivate him, or is not his primary motivator, its nice to have some of it and to be able to tuck it away for living after his playing career is over ....

He's given us some good years so far, and I would love to see him give us a few more, but if he does choose to move on, then he must do so with our best wishes for the future and the knowledge that ICT fans will be rooting for him when he pulls on that national team shirt too !

• Agree 1

It's very difficult for a player to shine in the Championship. Get an injury like he has had and teams won't wait. But with the OF, he'll have more of a chance. And I do think he genuinely has a chance to shine at the top - but only time will tell. I also think he's a good player and I would like the SPL to be better, so I'd like him to stay in Scotland. Hopefully with us. But there's no point decrying the state of the game here then wishing the best players would end up as a squad player at Preston North End or Barnsley. I want more Johnny Hayes-es in Scotland, not less. No matter who they play for.

And I could point out some players love the Glasgow goldfish bowl, whilst plenty others don't really experience it in Bridge of Weir and Kilmacolm. It's as uncomfortable or as glorious as how a player wants it to be.

Not surprised by this at all. I heard several months ago that Ceptic had been about to make a move for him but he was always injured so their interest cooled. I think he is injury prone and will spend more time on the sidelines than in any team. If fully fit he would be a huge asset to any team and if he goes then good luck to him.

Hayes is a cracking player with skill, bit of pace and knows where the goal is. But that is only when he puts the effort in. Some games you are just willing him to go with the ball and take people on. He prob needs to change his approach both on and of the park to make it to the highest level for him.

I would love it if he stayed cos he is a match winner/changer for us. But would fear for him going to a big club and not playing regularly. Maybe ICT will surprise and offer a wee wage increase and he will sign. After all he wouldn't want to leave the 'family'!

For those saying that Hayes is over-rated, since he came back from injury he has scored six goals and assisted in eight, that's 14 goals out of 23 the team has scored in that time, a fantastic record. He's a great player, our most important player.

• Agree 5