They are top of the League below.

CELTIC1CALEY3

They were in the same position last season, but fixture congestion, a good cup run and injuries were hurdles they couldn't overcome.

I think your meaning two seasons ago as they were pretty poor last year. Even then though i think they had about 4 games in hand to play, they only have 2 this time around and they are already 5 points clear. They've never been in such a good position in the first division to suggest they are bottlers. 2 extra games isn't going to make much of a difference i don't think. Unless they have some serious injuries they are heavy favourites for picking up the title this season.

They were in the same position last season, but fixture congestion, a good cup run and injuries were hurdles they couldn't overcome.

I think your meaning two seasons ago as they were pretty poor last year. Even then though i think they had about 4 games in hand to play, they only have 2 this time around and they are already 5 points clear. They've never been in such a good position in the first division to suggest they are bottlers. 2 extra games isn't going to make much of a difference i don't think. Unless they have some serious injuries they are heavy favourites for picking up the title this season.

The closest I think we got to the top in the season you won the league was this exact point. We had just beaten Dundee away and were 6pts behind with 3 games in hand. We never caught up with those games until we had to play about 7 games in the final 2 weeks.

This season is a lot better (at the moment) we're 5pts clear with 2 games in hand. We also have a far better squad this season by having proper cover for each position. Long way to go yet but it's looking good.

And where are they now these 20,000 folk. Don't see massive queues locked out of Victoria Park every weekend. Trust me they were made up of part time supporters and old firm fans who will soon need to make a choice if County manage to go up. Good luck to them with that, but it's not my concern.

• Agree 1

You know what ... good luck to them !!!!

I actually dislike County less than a lot of other teams !!! We have had a few good players from them over the years, and they have seen fit to extend the playing careers of a few of our legends too ! A very symbiotic relationship !

Regardless of the actual team, and more usually in debates where we were talking about stadium criteria, I have always said that whoever wins the first division deserves to go up to the SPL, regardless of anything else, as they have shown themselves to be the best football team in that division over the course of the season and its the football that matters. That opinion still holds true whether it is County or another team come the end of the season.

I have no love for County, other than the love of beating them ... but I do kinda like the idea of those teams who already bitch about coming to ICT once or twice a season now having to bitch about the tortuous journey up the A9 to face two teams !!!!!

Furthermore, I also stand by my own opinion on stadium criteria which is a newly promoted team should be allowed to use the existing seated part of its stadium for the SPL and if they choose to, should be able to use that first season in the SPL - and the extra money that brings - to make the stadium compliant rather than go down the route of spending money by March to have a compliant stadium "just in case" they win the league in May. I guess this position is less relevant now as ICT also set a precedent here too by sharing with the Dons and then getting the North/South stands built in double quick time ... but I just disagree with forcing teams to spend money they dont yet have on the off chance they will be champions ... It should be about the football and encouraging and assisting teams to reach the top rather than making them gamble with their own futures, incur debt they may not need to, and potentially spiral downwards if the gamble doesnt pay off ......

I didnt catch what Jim Spence was saying early doors on the radio on Saturday as I was running late .... but he seems to have been touting the larger league idea again .... something else I think is a good idea .... plenty of teams in D1 that could grace the SPL, and Ayr also took a good contingent to Hampden ....... even if they wouldnt have a fraction of them for a normal game.

• Agree 3

Football wise, I relish the idea of having the derbies back.

Hard to foresee any monumental crash in performance, but you never know and it's amazing how a couple of weekends of results not going a teams way can swing things.

They fixture backlog hurt them a few seasons ago. But this time the weather isn't as bad (at the moment anyway) and they don't have anywhere near the back log as they did before. A back log can be bad when you are chasing teams but they have a 5 point lead so really anything they pick up in those games is a bonus to their lead. They could even rotate the team to give others a rest.

• 3 weeks later...

the chasing pack up a gear.

I can't see how you come to that conclusion unless you look on Dundee's draws in their last three games or Falkirk's win and two draws in theirs as "up a gear". In fact from their last four games, Dundee and County have both taken six points while Falkirk have taken 8. I would suggest that this is not a massive inroad into County's situation and although their lead did get cut from 5 points to 3 yesterday, they still have two games in hand and Dundee and Falkirk play each other on Tuesday night so either or both will drop points.

I'd tend to agree Charles,it's still very much County's league to throw away,I think Falkirk will be their main challenger, losing Gavin Rae was a massive blow to our challenge.That said we have Falkirk Tuesday then County at Dens on Saturday and whilst undoubtedly a huge ask, a win in both would change the look of the whole league, all things considered,i'm pleasently surprised to be involved in a discussion that allows for the possibility of us winning it!

I cant see County losing it now. Their momentum is similar to our last 1st Division season when we were unstoppable!

I agree with your first point BC - I can't see Ross County losing it now either.

But rather than the momentum being similar to ICT's in 09-10, it's actually almost a mirror image so far.

I've managed to locate the points totals for County for their 21 games so far this season and for ICT in 09-10 and the comparison is as follows -

After 5 games - RC 6pts, ICT 8 (including a defeat by County at TCS). After 10 games - RC 19, ICT 13. After 15 games - RC 34, ICT 22. After 20 games - RC 41, ICT 31. After 21 games (ie to date) RC 42, ICT 34.

Both clubs had a relatively slow start and while ICT's progress remained sluggish up to about half way through the season, County had a brilliant second quarter, winning nine in a row from games 7-15. You'll see that after 15 games, County are 12 points (more than 50%) ahead but this is now narrowing.

On the other hand for the bit of the season which hasn't happened this time - games 22-36 - ICT took an incredible 39 points out of 45 and this was the real guts of that title win. Mind you, as late as the first Saturday in March, games 24, I remember walking along Princes St listening to ICT beng pulled back to a 2 all draw at Dens and thinking.... NOPE! (How wrong... I wasn't one of those who "believed! :cry: )

This season so far has been very much front loaded for County with the points take reduced of late by a series of draws although they have gone 19 unbeaten. ICT's was very much end loaded. So although County have definitely had momentum this season, I would suggest that it has not been all that similar to ICT's - so far!

Edited by Charles Bannerman