STRIKERS!

Jodec

Terry now has plenty of strikers to pick from than he did at the strat of the season. For most of the season so far Foran and Tade have been the only two strikers playing. But now shane sutherland and Bily Mckay has come into a bit of form and we have signed Sam Winnal and Claude Gnakpa we have a lot of options and hopefully a lot of goals.

I just wish there was a couple games before the cup game to give Terry a chance to see how his new signings are doing, throwing them straight in against Celtic could be a risk. With all these attacking options available picking the best 11 for Saturday is going to be tough.

Guest Mahonio

If we had a prolific goalscorer then we would be higher up the table, Tade isn't going to score goals every week, nor is Sutherland or McKay.

Every team in Scotland has or have had a prolific striker this season:

Aberdeen: Scott Vernon, Celtic: Hooper and Stokes, Dundee Utd: Jon Daly or John Russell, Dunfermline: Andy Kirk, Hearts: Kevin Kyle, Hibs: Garry O'Connor, Killie: Paul Heffernan, Motherwell: Henrik Ojamma, St Johnstone: Fran Sandaza and Cillian Sheridan, St Mirren: Steven Thompson and Rangers: Stevie Naismith and Nikica Jelavic (now at Everton).

We are like Saint Johnstone were last year, they were leaking goals left, right and Centre and also didn't have an obvious goalscorer, thats why they finished where they did, now look at them, they solved their problems from last season and are on a great run and league position this season, so if they can do it, i have faith in Butcher doing the same at the end of this season, there are good prolific Strikers around.

If we had a prolific goalscorer then we would be higher up the table, Tade isn't going to score goals every week, nor is Sutherland or McKay. Every team in Scotland has or have had a prolific striker this season:

To take your list ....... and add the ICT strikers (plus Higdon and Skacel) in the relevant spots .... seems like we arent doing too badly !!

I do take your point about St Johnstone, and the impact of Sandaza, but the rest of your argument kind of falls apart due to the bad stats. Something similar will likely happen to St Johnstone when Sandaza leaves !!!

• 14 - Rangers: Nikica Jelavic (now at Everton)
  • 12 - Celtic: Gary Hooper
  • 11 - Dundee Utd: Jon Daly
  • 11 - St Johnstone: Francisco Sandaza
  • 09 - Rangers: Steven Naismith
  • 09 - Celtic: Anthony Stokes
  • 09 - Aberdeen: Scott Vernon
  • 09 - Hibernian: Garry O'Connor
  • 08 - Inverness CT: - Gregory Tade
  • 08 - Kilmarnock: Paul Heffernan
  • 08 - Motherwell: Michael Higdon
  • 08 - Hearts: Rudi Skacel
  • 07 - Inverness CT: - Andrew Shinnie
  • 07 - Hibernian: Leigh Griffiths

of your others who you said have been prolific this season .....

Dundee Utd: John Russell --- 5 goals (same as Jonny Hayes who is 3rd on our SPL scoring list this season)

Dunfermline: Andy Kirk --- 6 goals (2 less than Tade!)

Hearts: Kevin Kyle --- 0 goals (injured since last season)

Motherwell: Henrik Ojamma --- 3 goals (only 1 more than Greg Tansey who is 4th on our SPL scoring list this season)

St Johnstone: Cillian Sheridan -- 4 goals (1 less than Jonny Hayes who is 3rd on our SPL scoring list this season)

St Mirren: Steven Thompson --- 6 goals (2 less than Tade!)

• Agree 2

Mahonio what are you on. Yes we could have scored more goals, but top 12 scorers in the league this season, Celtic have 2 Rangers have 2 and then only St J's Sandaza and Utd's Daly are much ahead, both on 11 goals. The rest are just a goal ahead!!

Jelavic, Hooper, Daly 11, Sandaza 11, Naismith 9, Stokes 9, OConner 9, Vernon 8, Hefffernan 8, Higdon 8, then Tade 8 Shinnie 7

But read into this, suprised me a bit as for several teams seem misplaced

Shots at goal this season

Rangers 320, celtic 288, St midden 254, Hearts 238, Utd 235, Dons 210, Killie 209, ICT 208, Hibs 198, St j 196, Mothers 164 Pars 139

Shots on target

Gers 173, Celts 156, Hearts 130, St Midden 126, Utd 113, Killie 105, Hibs 102, Mothers 98, Dons 97, ICT 96, St J 92, Pars 65

I always thought Celtic were the most attacking and "entertaining" team but over the period from 10 years its always been Rangers! This season Motherwell have been the most accurate, where as we are just among the bunch. Pars major weakness is they are shotshy

On a combined ratio league should read

Gers, Celts, Hearts and St Midden, Utd, Killie, Dons, Hibs, ICT , Mothers, St J AND The Pars

I wish he would start playing the strikers up front though. For the last 2 games in the latter stages of them he has played a midfielder in the centre forward role. It was Nick and against St Mirren and it was Jonny against Celtic. Despite the fact he had Winnall and Sutherland on the pitch at some point they were both dropped back into midfield and Tade is still being punted onto the wing where he is less effective - this needs to change, theyre strikers so play them up front.

• Agree 1

Let's be serious here we arnt exactly struggling for goals last I checked behind the old filth we were second best scorers in the league

Tades on 8 shinnies on 8 Hayes is on 7 and tanseys got 3 and the rest of the starting line up except 1 or 2 have scored this season

i find not knowing where the next goals going to come from refreshing

not the i dont know where its going to come from, as in i think it wont happen, but where will it come from a header, a long range strike, a well worked passing move or a penalty (the latter less likely), but i always feel we have a goal in us.

• Agree 4

i find not knowing where the next goals going to come from refreshing

not the i dont know where its going to come from, as in i think it wont happen, but where will it come from a header, a long range strike, a well worked passing move or a penalty (the latter less likely), but i always feel we have a goal in us.

To be honest at the moment I find it quite worrying where the next goal is going to come from, that's three in a row without a strike and a lot of huffing and puffing around opposing teams goalmouths. A total lack of confidence to have a direct shot, wanting far too much time on the ball and nobody who can get a free kick on target.

Caley D stated on the match day thread that Nick Ross was played as a lone striker yesterday, sorry but listening to the commentary he missed a couple of sitters again this week. Nick is not a striker so why is he in this role and recognised strikers are playing wide or on the bench, the one he missed against St Midden a couple of weeks ago was unbelievable.

I've noticed a few players 'off the boil' recently including Hayes, he needs to stop believing all this hype about moves to bigger clubs and get on with playing for ICT, he's a very frustrating individual IMHO who could and should be a lot more involved in games.

Next week is our biggest game of the season for me, win it and we have a nice cushion for the remainder of the season, lose and Dumbfarmlife will take heart and put the pressure on the clubs around them. Don't want another last day Falkirk scenario so lets get it right Mr Butcher.

• Agree 3