Today's Attendance

dougal

Yes. Not a single positive thing to say or a single word of encouragement for any of the home team for the entire 90 minutes. And what a loud voice the guy's got! To be fair, at least he was making some noise. Everybody else sitting nearby who weren't shouting abuse at our own team also offered no encouragement to the team. If only he could use his vocal talents to offer some support to his team or get a chant or two going he would bring others along with him.

are you speaking as someone who buys a season ticket, pays every week at the gate or as a journalist who walks in for free ??

As a journalist who walks in free of course. How frequently do you find people complaining that you don't personally pay to get into your place of work?

Maybe you should also remember that it's the cash that my employers pay for broadcasting rights at these games that actually helps keep what you are charged to get in down at current levels.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

Well Charles, they certainly don't find the money or the time to broadcast it overseas to isolated folks like Scotty and I and Ronny C and a good few others that I could mention. No wonder that Scotty's service was all booked when I applied for entry.

I have now given up bothering to get up very early on match days since there is absolutely no commentaries at all anywhere on the computer or radio that I know of. How could it possibly hurt either the BBC or the club to allow something, anything, for us? Virtually none of us overseas persons are likely to come over to Tulloch on a Saturday, as Scotty has drily pointed out. The BBC also do not allow access to any post-match interviews at any time via the computer, even long after the match, post match videos...nothing.

So, how much money does the club think it may be losing by blocking all access to us overseas listeners? ANYTHING? Probably NONE.

I think all this talk of rights, blocking, copyright etc is just adding to the killing of this game. And, boy it sure seems to need a real strong shot in the arm of new spirit to regenerate the old enthusiam and enjoyment that I remember at , for example, Telford Street.

The music from the tannoy may have been old fashioned and corny in them thar days but I never heard anybody cmplaining that they did not enjoy the outing to Caledonian F.C.

There is precious little left of football watching that is natural anymore. They stopped the enjoyment of standing at games, wringing their hands and saying .."it's dangerous" Well, fix it so that it is not dangerous--put in extra barriers or whatever it takes etc.

Then they make rules which are not implemented and allow refs to make decisions that are lambasted by the fans YET refuse to allow modern technology such as video, on the goal line and so on, to be introduced.

I get the impression that the game in Scotland at least is run by suited Neanderthals with little purpose, other than to put more money in their pockets, little vision for the future and their minds are moribund of ideas and have no enthusiam for any kind of positive change. They are not even willing to try which is the worst crime of all.

So, Charles, have you ever raised the issue of overseas listeners, being TOTALLY excluded from expressing their feelings for Caley Thistle, with the BBC and received any kind of positive response about change. Nobody is asking you to put your job in jeopardy but what the heck is going on here? The whole thing is a piece of stuff and nonsense :shrug02:

It certainly does very little to foster loyalty and a desire to promote the image of ICT. It's all about money and, as we know, most of which goes to the already well-heeled and not the little clubs such as ours.So, we overseas listeners or fans are the forgotten few and good old Scottish football keeps on chugging along at a snail's pace of development, getting more behind the times, it seems , by the minute. :frustrated01:

• Agree 1

Scarlet, I am not an expert by any means on the contractual situation here, but as far as I am aware although I may be wrong, broadcast Scottish football is not available overseas because it is "blocked" at the request of certain clubs - of which ICT is not one.

At a stretch for live commentaries I can just about accept that, through gritted teeth - and I think you're right, ICT are not signatories to this - but the blocking of Open All Mics is extremely petty and serves no logical purpose.

• Agree 1

You wonder why the attendence was so low? Well this story from someone I know might help.

This person doesnt support ICT or Celtic but fancied watching a game. He went to the ticket office well before the game and was refused a ticket since they said he wasnt on the database althoug hes been to game's before.

Then the ticket office person asked him, accusingly he felt, why he wanted to come to the game anyway.

By the way, this wasn't somebody who arrived in green and white smelling of drink. He is a very senior professional person who works in Inverness but was refused entry and his motives questioned. I'm not sure if hell be back either.

Scarlet, I am not an expert by any means on the contractual situation here, but as far as I am aware although I may be wrong, broadcast Scottish football is not available overseas because it is "blocked" at the request of certain clubs - of which ICT is not one.

Could it be the old firm perhaps ?????

Not sure if it is still the same but of the current crop of SPL teams, the clubs who did request their commentaries were blocked were: Aberdeen, Celtic, Dundee Utd, Hearts (games at Tynecastle only), Kilmarnock, Rangers. Most requested it because they had their own service to sell to fans overseas.

not sure about Dunfermline or St Johnstone as they werent in the SPL when I last checked the arrangements, but I know ICT, St Mirren, Motherwell, and Hibs did not.

At a stretch for live commentaries I can just about accept that, through gritted teeth - and I think you're right, ICT are not signatories to this - but the blocking of Open All Mics is extremely petty and serves no logical purpose.

This is the one I dont understand either .... OAM was excellent for those without access to the live commentaries, and given the dour nature of some of our commentators, actually better to listen to for the banter some weekends .... seems no logincal reason for blocking this other than the BBC perhaps making life easier for themselves and blocking all output rather than having to work out wehich streams can be broadcast and which cannot ......

You wonder why the attendence was so low? Well this story from someone I know might help. This person doesnt support ICT or Celtic but fancied watching a game. He went to the ticket office well before the game and was refused a ticket since they said he wasnt on the database althoug hes been to game's before. Then the ticket office person asked him, accusingly he felt, why he wanted to come to the game anyway. By the way, this wasn't somebody who arrived in green and white smelling of drink. He is a very senior professional person who works in Inverness but was refused entry and his motives questioned. I'm not sure if hell be back either.
I find this story a little hard to believe given the frequent compliments issued about our ticket office staff. However, I would suggest the club perhaps do have to be more careful for this type of game given the past history of away supporters in the home end. Sounds more like a club policy than a refusal for no reason.
  • Agree 1

Wanderer...my sentiments entirely.

Turfing that was the last straw for me. Mean -spirited and thoughtless.

This broadcast is not about one or two clubs alone but all the footie in Scotland really which I enjoyed . Personalities like John Robertson came on and , apart from on Open All Mikes , when would you get a chance to hear such a diversity of opinion and RAW emotions exploding.Very amusing sometimes.

I have now checked the BBC's contractual situation and, as I thought, in a situation where many clubs have their own online commentary, the BBC contract only allows for commentary received within the UK. Open All Mics appears to be classified as commentary and is indeed 6,7 or 8 simultaneous ones, although it seems that this didn't become apparent until a later date.

So unfortunately, in an era when a number of clubs do their own thing, BBC Scotland only has the rights to broadcast commentary within the UK.

I'm in the process of investigating legitimate means for providing commentary to overseas fans....which would be provided via the official website.

Can't promise anything for this season, but one way or another we will have something in place properly for next season.

• Agree 3

• What really pissed me off yesterday was the idiots singing rule brittania and other rangers songs , thought there was going to be trouble when someone told them to shut up and sing ICT songs only for the fools to wind the guy up with "we're british and will sing it if we want" ! Cringeworthy .
    i have been in that section for a few years and the people who were singing that have been there every week, and go to away game and they were taking the p1ss with that '1' song saying no surrender jonny tuffy. then that guy turns round and starts on like 20 people. not a smart move!

p.s if yous are bored of the amosphere then how about i dont know... start singing???

These reptiles need to do a serious bit of growing up

They are a complete embarrassment to ICT and the club with the authorities should do all they can to dish out football banning orders

No wonder we get tarnished as highland huns while we have this section/element within our support

We should all play our part to eradicate this problem by pointing out the vermin to stewards or the northern constabulary if any unsavoury incidents happen in the future

Dougal

Or maybe we can continue to try and educate them and make them aware that whilst we appreciate the atmosphere they try to generate with 99% of what they sing and chant, they let themselves down and undo all that good work with things like this?

What's more, you talk about them "growing up", yet you can muster little more than a personal attack by way of childish and petty name calling!!! Pots and Kettles spring to mind.

• Agree 2

I have now checked the BBC's contractual situation and, as I thought, in a situation where many clubs have their own online commentary, the BBC contract only allows for commentary received within the UK. Open All Mics appears to be classified as commentary and is indeed 6,7 or 8 simultaneous ones, although it seems that this didn't become apparent until a later date. So unfortunately, in an era when a number of clubs do their own thing, BBC Scotland only has the rights to broadcast commentary within the UK.

That actually makes sense Charles. Open All Mics was initially broadcast worldwide as an alternative to live commentary but the same argument could be made about OAM (and sounds like it has been) that the BBC themselves used to succesfully have Radio Clyde chastised ..... and would explain why they shut it down outside the UK.

Radio Clyde were allowed to broadcast goal information during a game, as well as pre-match, half-time, and full-time segments, but were not allowed to broadcast commentary (as the BBC held the UK rights along with the clubs who had UK and worldwide rights). However, they kind of did similar to OAM and maybe had 'extended' goalflashes where the commentator would report on the goals but also give an idea of how the game was going or even a few seconds commentary if something was happening ... a bit like Open All Mics does ... its inevitable you will end up with 5 or 10 seconds of what might be deemed "commentary" in that situation but its against the rights contract.

Its a shame, because OAM, whilst perhaps contractually regarded as 'commentary' is NOT commentary in any fans view, its a great wee service that is as enjoyable to listen to for the banter as it is for the information (rather than commentary) which it provides .... especially when Robbo is having a go at Chick for the "travel the A9" stuff ! Frustrating they cant broadcast it worldwide, but having done a lot of research into the rules over the years, I understand the reasoning

I'm in the process of investigating legitimate means for providing commentary to overseas fans....which would be provided via the official website. Can't promise anything for this season, but one way or another we will have something in place properly for next season.

Indeed. it definitely sounds promising.

I'm in the process of investigating legitimate means for providing commentary to overseas fans....which would be provided via the official website.

Can't promise anything for this season, but one way or another we will have something in place properly for next season.

Top man. A solution would be welcomed by a lot of punters everywhere.

Appreciate we disagree at times (and probably will continue to!) but have never and will never doubt your commitment to the cause!

Or maybe we can continue to try and educate them and make them aware that whilst we appreciate the atmosphere they try to generate with 99% of what they sing and chant, they let themselves down and undo all that good work with things like this?

What's more, you talk about them "growing up", yet you can muster little more than a personal attack by way of childish and petty name calling!!! Pots and Kettles spring to mind.

The days of sitting down and trying to educate the bigots should have happened decades ago

Generation after generation have been brought up thinking this is the norm, you maybe want to sit round the table talking but I'd rather see direct action and at long last we seem to have a government who is addressing the problem and not brushing it under the carpet

Fight fire with fire and if that means dishing out banning orders,fines or jail sentences so be it, they will soon get the message

Dougal

19th Nov 2011 - ICT v Celtic (0-2) - Att 6,435

4th Feb 2012 - ICT v Celtic (0-2) - Att 5,743

21st Sep 2011 - Ross County v Celtic (0-2) - Att 5,367

Only 692 less people at last week's game (a drop of 11% from the November gate) - considering early kick-off, ticket prices and it was live on TV not too bad actually.....the TV revenue will have made up for those missing.... :ponder:

I agree like others I would like to see more through the gate but taking into account all the factors the crowd size should not have been totally unexpected....

• Agree 1

19th Nov 2011 - ICT v Celtic (0-2) - Att 6,435

4th Feb 2012 - ICT v Celtic (0-2) - Att 5,743

21st Sep 2011 - Ross County v Celtic (0-2) - Att 5,367

Only 692 less people at last week's game (a drop of 11% from the November gate) - considering early kick-off, ticket prices and it was live on TV not too bad actually.....the TV revenue will have made up for those missing.... :ponder:

I agree like others I would like to see more through the gate but taking into account all the factors the crowd size should not have been totally unexpected....

Thats a pretty good comparison, both our home games were on tv but the November game was covered by ESPN and the latter Sky sports and Sky sports is far more popular than ESPN, January must be the poorest month of the year so its not supprising that people stay away, which would have affected the Dunfemline stats too.

So in reality there is no crisis regarding attendance figures.

I also feel the opposite will happen when we push past our current group of teams and head towards Hearts and St Johnstone in the table. We have a great bunch of fans and I believe they will be there in force when ICT need them the most.

Is it not also the case that SKY salespeople are hitting their sales targets and therefore more and more past/prospective fans are able to sit in the comfort of their home as an option?

Early kick off, adverse weather, make the most of £52 per month Sky payment, may all have taken their toll on the numbers at the match.

How to overcome it? Manage expectations - we are a wee club with a wee fan base and are performing like it some games and like world beaters the next - this is part of the romance (not a bad word for the 14th Feb eh!) of supporting this club.

Expect great play from them each week? Stand back and wonder why they are up here in the Highlands plying their trade instead of the English lower reaches where they would be paid a darned site more.

We are what we are ... magic, crap but always, always surprising!!

Not a bad reason to support them!!

• Agree 1