Chick Young on Caley Club Song.

Guest Mahonio

Guest Mahonio

I was reading through the BBC Sport website and this article written by a person, who answers to the name of Chick Young, caught my eye.

It is regarding a club song for Inverness Caledonian Thistle and also criticises the atmosphere at home games, he suggests "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" for obvious reasons, what song would you have as our official song, lets help out Mr Young here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16975977.

Chick Young is the last person I would be helping with regards to anything let alone finding us an 'official anthem' - he can't even get the 'wee genteel ditty' as he puts it correct.

As far as I am concerned he can sculk back down to the central belt and cuddle up to his OF friends like he usually always does while trying to fake being a St Midden fan

I see where your post is going and it's not a dig at you, I just can't be done with the man, he'e so false and no one else is allowed an opinion when talking to him - just listen to BBC Scotland every Saturday or midweek and you'll hear what I mean.

• Agree 1

Maybe the club could resarect "bring it on home" but perhaps it should be left in the archives. I personally think that the best song to get sung at the games would be Caledodia by Frankie Millar (Well by dougie maclean but the frankie miller version is better). I think the lyrics are just perfect for our club.

I dont know if you can see, the changes that have come over me

In these last few days, ive been afraid that i might drift away

And ive been tellin old stories, singing songs

That made me think about where i came from

Thats the reason why i seem so far away today.

CHORUS

Oh but let me tell you that i love you

And i think about you all the time

Caledonia your callin me and im goin home

But if i should become a stranger

You know that it would make me more than sad

Caledonia your everythin ive ever had.

Could always change the word caledonia to caley thistle perhaps.

Thoughts?

• Agree 2

Have attached the "best" of the ones (which were printable) that came from when we did the competition in conjunction with the Inverness Courier.

Hard to believe that this was done almost 7 years ago!!!

Obviously some of them would need updating and there's others that could be added, but perhaps we could do that, get some printed and have some fun with it in order to try and stir up a bit more atmosphere at games.

I don't think you can force an "anthem" on ICT/Fans but one day something will click, and in the meantime it could be good craic having a bit of "Matchday Karaoke".

songsheet.pdf

a few of those 'borrow' others' songs .... and so did my effort from a few years back which was to the tune of Fields of Athenry (long before we reached the SPL and based on the actual folk song, not the bigotry assigned to it in ensuing years)

By a low seafront wall, I heard a young man call

We're going to watch the CaleyJags play,

Through the wind and the drizzle,

We will follow Caley Thistle,

At our fortress on the fields of Longman drive ....

Chorus

Low lie the fields ...... of Longman Drive

Where once we watched all the dolphins dive

Tokely, Mann and Christie,

Barry Wilson turning and twisty,

At our fortress on the fields of Longman Drive.

..... had other verses but cant remember them now ....

• Agree 1

Sure we could make something from Ken Dodd "Happiness" by substituting "Inverness" !!! Also wondered why we never mangled a version of Caledonia to suit us.

Was quite interesting a couple of years ago in Toronto when Alan Frew from Glass Tiger re-recorded a special version of "My Town" as a favour to a friend who was also a fan of the club .... It still gets played at half-time or at the end of the game sometimes .... thought it was really good. Wonder if we have any musician fans who could do the same? or whether we could bastardise one of the songs of an artist who has played a concert at the park ? Anything in Elton or Rod Stewart's discography ?

A blog on ICT is not lazy journalism - Old Firm reporting is, enough complain about OF bias so when something does come up from the national news for ICT, I'll support it. Terry Butcher has lent his name to it, the BBC say e-mail Sportsound and the club - done and done. Get behind it!!

The problem with a lot of these suggestion is that they involve people altering words to existing songs which means everyone else has to learn the words which simply won't happen, nevermind that the words tend to be trying to portray Inverness or the Highlands in a shortbread tin style patronising, stereotyping b0ll0cks way.

I was in the United end at Hampden when they won the cup (a friend was staying with me and he is united daft, I did not want to be there but he'd got me a ticket, anyhoo...) and when they played "Love is in the air" beforehand it was phonomenal. Therein I believe lies our solution, we find a catchy song that seems to work and we do not alter the words. It is just sung verbatim.

The problem is.. which song?

Come on KB.........if Dundee Utd can have an Inspiral Carpets tune that everyone knows the words to surely we can manage something?

Inverness, Inverness

The night life's crap and the town's a mess

So get your thermals on and your best stay pressed

Your gonna get tanked in Inverness

As the great Bamber Gascoigne said........starter for ten!

• Agree 3

Why not just use falling in love with you by elvis

Everyone already knows it and if they don't it's easy to learn it takes like 2 minutes

I don't feel it's about making songs there already there and most self respecting north standers know them I think it's about getting people to join in which not everyone does

But how do you do that??

We need to get more people up into section E standing up and singing

could could the club trial safe standing in "E"?? That would hopefully get people involved. People who miss terraces could come join and it could attract some more fans if the club lowered the cost of prices in that section

Edited by lukemackay