Chick Young on Caley Club Song.

Guest Mahonio

The essence of getting a club song is that it should be simple, easy to learn for those who are too lazy or uninterested in learning a complicated song with new lyrics, and it should be one not used by anyone else ....... the biggest exceptions to those criteria being when bands have an affiliation to the club such as Hibs and the Proclaimers .....

"Bring it on Home" was fun at the time ... for about 5 minutes ... after that (and to this day) it became ultra cheesy. I did like Battlefield by Wolfstone as a potential candidate, but its instrumental, and could be argued that is a bit "shortbread tin" .... Caledonia would be good but I fear the lyrics might be a little complicated for some so wouldnt catch on.

So that leaves us with something easy and cross generational, or a tie-in with an unaltered song from a band or artist ..... not an easy task.

I am going to stick with "Happiness" for the easily altered song .... but I am going to throw another song into the mix that gave me goosebumps when we sung it ....

"Why does it always rain on me" by Travis was belted out by a large contingent of the away supporters who had just watched ICT put Hearts out of the Cup at Tynecastle, and despite the miserable weather, and what might have been a bit of a pisstake by the PA guy at the ground, it was embraced by the ICT fans and we gave it laldy. It was just one of those moments .... those who were there will know what I mean. Dont think Travis have any ICT affiliation, but I always think of that day anytime the song comes on the radio or on my ipod.

I've had a go at some lyrics.

I've not written a tune.

The metre is 8.6.8.6 and so if you want to try out the lyrics, there are loads of psalm/hymn tunes that fit the words, even if otherwise unsuitable. Actually a slow, grand tune could work quite well.

The lyrics:

We are, we are, we are, we are ...

we are the Caley Jags!

We outshine Clachnacuddin and

we're better than the Stags!

We are a famous football club!

Our name is known afar!

We're feared by Berwick Rangers and

by Celtic and Stranraer!

Apologies to fans of Berwick and Stranraer.

Those clubs are mentioned for reasons of geography rather than history.

Just for Rangers game, this little ditty? To fools and Horses tune

No Income tax, No VAT,

No comming back, no RFC,

Red and Blue,

Rich now poor,

Cut price players, in a fire sale

God bless Cragie Whyte,

Viva the taxman,

Long live ICT,

Say pay your debt, Rangers,

Say pay your debts, Rangers

:ictscarf: :ictscarf: :ictscarf: :ictscarf:

• Agree 2

My old man said be a County fan - I said feck aff, bollicks yer a **** - We took the Jail End in half a minute - we took the Briggs with the Staigo in it - we hammered the Seagulls and we ran St Jones Town too - but you cant trust a gypsy - even if you're tipsy - cos he's a travelling man.

Still love : We sail on the HMS Sneck - we lie drunk on the deck - from Inverness town we did roam - we stayed up all night - we got in a fight - this is the best/worst trip we've ever been on - so hoist up the Sneckie's sails - see how the mainsail sets - call for the captain ashore - let me go home, let me go home - I wanna go home, yeah yeah - I feel so fecked up - I want to go home.

When it began,it was 94 back then.

And now I know were growing strong

It, wasn't the spring, whooo

It was in fact the summer

Who'd believe you'd all come along

Hands, touching hands, reaching out

Touching me, touching you

Oh, sweet Caley Thistle

Good times never seem so good

I've been inclined to believe it never would

And now, I look at the stands, whooo

And it don't seem so lonely

We can fill it with just a few, oh

And when I hurt

Hurting runs off my shoulder

How can I hurt when watching you

Oh, one, touching one, reaching out

Touching me, touching you

Oh, sweet Caley Thistle

Good times never seem so good

Oh I've been inclined to believe it never would

Ohhh, sweet Caley Thistle, good times never seem so good

• Agree 1

For this week's game against Chic's beloved Rangers we should adopt their 'billy boys' anthem and just take the **** for the day............. :ictscarf:

Ha Ha, Ha Ha, ha ha ha ha ha ha.......Ha Ha, Ha Ha, ha ha ha ha ha ha........

Repeat until you're bored senseless or the guy next to you loses it and screams for mercy :wink:

.... those who were there will know what I mean. Dont think Travis have any ICT affiliation, but I always think of that day anytime the song comes on the radio or on my ipod.

Yeah I was there and I know what you mean!

For this week's game against Chic's beloved Rangers we should adopt their 'billy boys' anthem and just take the **** for the day.............

The Killie fans yesterday were singing 'soon be a Tesco, oh this'll soon be a Tesco'

In the old days in div 3 we had a piper at a lot of the games who played Caledonia.

Ok I've done some thinking and thought "who does rousing anthems better than anyone. Ones that suggest efficiency and and power. Well of course it's the Germans so who better than Scorpions, and what better than this.. No Pain, No Gain!

Ok, now thats sorted all we need to do is make sure all the players are taken down the barbers and given classic late 80s German Mullets like Rudi Voller etc. Oh yes! Ross Tokely already looks like a farm beast. Imagine what that'd do to him!

I like Chicks suggestion of supercaleyfragalisticexpealadocious (spelling?!)

It's very cheesy but it can be made our song - unique to us. Have it blasting out as the players come out and if the fans don't want to sing (especially the main stand) just have everyone clapping along to the beat.

Rangers have penny arcade, which again is very cheesy but catchy. Supercaleyfrag... will also annoy the opposition fans if played loud enough. .

Edited by CapitalCaley

Crystal Palace have a great intro.

The annaouncer says 'Make some noise for CRYSTAL PALACE'

The players walk out and 'Glad All Over' is played/ Whilst the intro to the song starts, the whole stadium claps to the beat in unison and then sing the words. Noticeably louder when they sing the chorus.

However, we need an announcer at Caley Thistle who is going to shout down the microphone. Really put enthusiasm in to it. We need an announcer like Hearts or Livi - some one who will annoy the feck out of the opposition fans.

When we make a substitution, there needs to be more excitement in the voice. Instead of 'coming on for Inverness, Gregory Tade' (clap clap clap). We need something along the lines of 'Coming on for Inverness, Gregory TADEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!'

We need the annoucer to go ballistic! However, something tells me that no matter how loud the music is, how enthusiastic the announcer is, our fans struggle to show encouragement. Look around the main stand when we score.. a lot of people don't even bother to stand up! They just give a wee clap... and that's not just elderly people. I see when we make a substitution and the player has played well, some folk try and encourage a standing ovation.... maybe a quarter of the main stand will stand up, and the rest will give them funny looks.

Now it's well documented that our away support are more boisterous. If we have say 200 away fans in a stadium, i'd say that roughly 30 will be standing. The 30 will sing most of the match. On an away day, the singers will all bunch together. Like a good number of them, I go mainly to away games. I haven't missed a league away game since the first one of 2010, but i've only been to about 7 home games in 2 years. At a home game I don't sing. Why? Because if I start I get told to be quiet, sit down etc etc. Why would I bother paying money for that experience. Of course at home games, anyone who wishes to sing is generally spread out which is why it's easier to get a wee tune going on an away day.

I kid you not, last seasoin when I was at TCS, I heard people in the main stand complaining that the music was too loud!!! However, it's key that we get a tradition going. 'Caledonia' or as Chick mentioned 'Supercaleyfragalistic' at full blast every time the players go out. So, get the music blasting and whatever it is, anyone there try clapping in unison. Clapping in unison to the beat of the music can really make a difference.

Here's the Palace song. It would be good if we could follow this kind of example...

supercalifragalistic was played before the celtic scottish cup game last year. was a good laugh although i don't know if i could stand it every week. if we just played it against celtic then that would be good. giving them a right good "get it wrapped roond ye".

another beauty is local hero by knopfler. has been played a couple of times at TCS before kick off and due to the film being filmed in the Highlands would be apt for this team and area!

however, Caledonia, its just got to be! i can totally imagine everyone holding their scarves aloft while the teams come out the tunnel

:ictscarf: :ictscarf: :ictscarf:

supercalifragalistic was played before the celtic scottish cup game last year. was a good laugh although i don't know if i could stand it every week. if we just played it against celtic then that would be good. giving them a right good "get it wrapped roond ye".

another beauty is local hero by knopfler. has been played a couple of times at TCS before kick off and due to the film being filmed in the Highlands would be apt for this team and area!

however, Caledonia, its just got to be! i can totally imagine everyone holding their scarves aloft while the teams come out the tunnel

:ictscarf: :ictscarf: :ictscarf:

Thats a good tune if it had appropriate words. Bit of useless information on that film. Only the harbour and phone box scenes were filmed in Pennan. All the beach scenes were Morar, including Bens shack. The church was at Lochailort and the pub was the Ship Inn in Banff.

Another good tune if words could be put to it is Vangelis = Chariots of Fire

CapitalCaley are you seriously telling us that if your at a game and someone tells you to sit down or to stop singing that you do ? who is that tells you to sit down and be quiet ?

I can't say who as I don't know everyone at the games. Many other folk have a similar story - Dewsbury dude has a good story regarding it which he may have already mentioned. Of course you don't to block views etc but I do like to rise when we are on the attack of the goal and that can cause issues.

For a start, I'd like an announcer that can get ICT's players names right. Gnakpa is pronounced Nappa and Owain Tudur Jones, is not Owen Tudor Jones, it's pronounced O-Wine Tid-Ear Jones!

• Agree 1