Point total compared with previous seasons

I was geeky enough to waste 20 minutes working out how many points we had after 29 games in each of our previous SPL seasons...

P W D L F A PTS GD

2004-05 29 8 9 12 34 39 33 -5

2005-06 29 9 13 7 41 33 40 +8

2006-07 29 8 10 11 31 37 34 -6

2007-08 29 10 3 16 35 48 33 -13

2008-09 29 8 4 17 29 45 28 -16

2010-11 29 9 9 11 38 37 36 +1

2011-12 29 7 7 15 33 50 28 -17

Comes as a bit of a shock to discover we have the same number of points at this stage as the year we went down, and a worse goal difference to boot!

Thank the lord for Dunfermline...

• Agree 4

Well...

More goals conceded at this point in an SPL season than in any previous campaigns.

A worse goal difference at this point in an SPL season than in any previous campaigns.

Fewer wins at this point in an SPL season than in any previous campaigns.

If this season's team were in a league table with the ICT side which were relegated in 2008-09, we would be below them on goal difference.

That can't be a good thing, can it?

• Agree 1

Food for thought.

Basically we're back to where we started under Butcher after a three year rollercoaster ride. Albeit we will almost certainly stay up this season.

Not true, when Terry took over we were far worse off than we are now. We were in terminal decline, so only losing out on the last day of the season was in itself a success. Promotion at the first time of asking was remarkable. This season has been one to forget but there have been many challenges, poor refereeing decisions, injuries, losing key players, etc. so all in I am happy to be clear of the bottom.

The only stats that count are the ones that appear at the end of the season.

That's not to say it's not interesting to look at such things, but with so many contributing factors...factors that change season on season...it's impossible to do a true comparison and draw much by way of meaningful information from attempting to do so.

also remember the season we went down, was quite exceptional, as we went down with a record points total. Two others are struggling below us this season too. Think that 9 points should be enough of a start with 9 games left

• Agree 1

I think this season is the worst I can remember in terms of injuries. It's been terrible.

Terry really needs to work on the defence in the summer. Tokelys getting on. Golabart, though improving, gives me the frights. Every game seems to have a penalty appeal against him and he'll be off in the summer anyway. Meekings is alright but not 1st choice in my eyes and often plays at right back. I've given up on Proctor. Who else? The centre half positions need a complete revamp. We haven't had a woeful goals conceded ratio for nothing this season. Yes I can understand there was a load of changes defensively due to injuries and suspension for a long while but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Our relegation year was a tough year and a team has to go down no matter how good they are, that year bottom clubs were taking points off of big clubs pushing the bar up higher, I think Barrowmun scored only 4 goals during the whole season and we go down on goal difference, ouch.

We'll be ok this season though.

Who else? The centre half positions need a complete revamp

Well, there's Hogg who would have been first choice. Someone said they didn't rate him as Hibs had let him go. The old 'if he wasn't good enough for them...' argument. Firstly, it doesn't necessarily mean Hibs made the right choice (and, even before we signed him, I thought they'd made a mistake). Secondly, ICT have a history of signing 'has beens/never wases' and making them better (Dods for instance). And thirdly, at least he got an SPL club, unlike Munro*. If Hogg had stayed fit for the majority of the season, I just don't think the defence would have been so bad. Just my opinion.

*not trying to dis Munro - I didn't want him to leave, just making a point that cast-offs aren't always useless.

The defence was equally suspect with Hogg in it! Seems to be the story of our season. Player X,Y & Z being the missing pieces of the jigsaw until there return to the side and then it's someone elses turn to be the saviour

even though we have had a season that has not matched our expectations, Im pretty sure that our expectations didnt include around 8-10 serious long term injuries ( ie longer than a month). Apart from each of this seasons televised games we have played and competed reasonably well. To be 9 points above bottom spot, with Dunfermline having 8 games left and us nine, and a far better goal difference compared to the Pars, I think we have to look upon the season as being hard work but good for the unforeseen circumstances.

Next season we will need two competent central defenders ( cover for Toks, and cover for Hogg incase one or both struggle) and two attackers ( a replacement for Hayes, as Doran should be fit for new season, and another striker/finisher )

Be fair. Hogg barely played. David Davis wasn't great either until he got bedded in. Over the course of the season, I'm sure he would have been our best defender.

I very much doubt Butcher will keep on Tokely. Golobart might well go back, along with Williams, so big rebuilding there. Quite frightening really. I would hope to sign at least one established centre-back as first choice. Not sure who's available mind you.

Hayes will be a big miss but perhaps not as big as we might think. He's been injured a lot and Doran will alleviate much of the problem. Nowhere near as skilful as Hayes but can be as effective. Giving Ross a run at right midfield could be the making of him though. Not as winger but a good old fashioned right midfielder like, say, Trevor Steven or Jim Bett.