Old Inverness games

The recent post on the Caley v Leicester game got me thinking about what other games there have been over the years played against English opposition in Inverness and anybody's memories of them.

Below is a list of Inverness team friendlies v English clubs in Inverness over the years that I could find:

Highland League

1921/2 Caley / Thistle Select 6 Tottenham Hotspur 3

1932/3 Inverness Thistle 3 Newcastle United 5

1951/2 Inverness Select 3 Crystal Palace 1

1955/6 Inverness Select 0 Leicester City 2

1963/4 Caley 2 Carlisle United 4

1973/4 Inverness Thistle 2 Notts County 4

1976/7 Caley 1 Halifax Town 1

1977/8 Inverness Select 1 Newcastle United 1

1978/9 Clach 0 Middlesbrough 4

1982/3 Caley 0 Leicester City 4

1988/9 Caley 0 Shrewsbury Town 5

(Highland league games courtesy of Prorege post (P&B))

Scottish League

1994/5 ICT 0 Bolton Wanderers 2

2000/1 ICT 5 Mansfield Town 2

2004/5 ICT 1 QPR 1

2004/5 ICT 1 Hartlepool United 1

2005/6 ICT 1 Blackpool 0

2006/7 ICT 0 Sheffield United 3

2008/9 ICT 5 Liverpool 0

More info on the 1921 and 1932 games would be interesting (Spurs were FA Cup holders (managed by ex-Jags player Peter McWilliam) when they visited in 1921 and Newcastle were FA cup holders when they visited in 1932).

• Agree 1

1984/85 Caley v Berwick, Scottish Cup Replay :wink:

(I was at the original away tie where we got a late but deserved equaliser for 1-1, I think the Telford St replay was 3-3, and in the days of 2nd replays we won the tie somewhere neutral, was it Methil?)

Not English opposition, I know, but I remember a Caley friendly in early 50s against Rangers, played at the Clach park because it could hold more. I think there were about 10,000 at the game. I think it was a testimonial for Bobby Bolt, a Caley stalwart for years, and an ex Ranger. A very strong Rangers side including George Young and Willie Woodburn amongst others, won 5-3

Not English opposition, I know, but I remember a Caley friendly in early 50s against Rangers

There are times when I wonder about that! :lol:

And yes, it was Methil that Yngwie's second replay took place. Caley won 3-0 (Nero MacDonald 2 and Wilson Robertson). They met Hearts at Tynecastle in the next round and lost 6-0.

The late equaliser at Shielfield came from Bob Summers while it was two from Billy Urquhart and one from Nero in the 3 all at Telford Street.

Much of this information comes from Caley All The way which, along with Against All Odds, Going Ballistic and The Hub of the Hill sits beside my computer especially for moments like this!

Edited by Charles Bannerman

• 1 month later...

Not English opposition, I know, but I remember a Caley friendly in early 50s against Rangers, played at the Clach park because it could hold more. I think there were about 10,000 at the game. I think it was a testimonial for Bobby Bolt, a Caley stalwart for years, and an ex Ranger. A very strong Rangers side including George Young and Willie Woodburn amongst others, won 5-3

I was there too and if I remember rightly that was one of the times that Willie Woodburn graced the crowd with two fingers after we gave him some stick for a tackle on Ginger Mackenzie shortly after Ginger had nutmegged him and he had landed on his erse much to the delight of all of us.

Willie had a similar episode a few weeks later and I'm pretty certained was banned sine die for that.

Anyone else remember this?