Will you say aye to the vat pie

12th Man

I see that fast food now has to pay/charge vat, it should earn the government a fortune from the saturated fat fans but probalbly makes the footy pie too expensive, yet another stealth tax for ther public.

There is one positive note though, no vat on a cold pie so it looks like we can get round the increase as mine are usually luke warm. :thumbup:

Guidance notes issued by Whitehall to cover the proposals introduce a series of anomalies that will trigger a fierce row between retailers and the Government. The new regime means that, in theory, every food item that is hotter than the surrounding ambient air temperature will be liable for 20 per cent VAT.

In the high street, this means a hot sausage roll or Cornish pasty carries VAT but a cold one does not.

Edited by 12th Man

VAT has always been charged on hot food, including pies.

What this announcement concerns is just really tidying up some minor anomalies, like hot deli chickens sold by supermarkets not currently being VATable.

Here's a mad idea - how about the Government start getting back all of the tax that companies like Vodafone and Goldman Sachs (?) owe instead of finding new ways to tax the already over taxed general public?

• Agree 3

Here's a mad idea - how about the Government start getting back all of the tax that companies like Vodafone and Goldman Sachs (?) owe instead of finding new ways to tax the already over taxed general public?

i wonder which famous Scottish club could be added to this list ?

I doubt it will affect the majority of ICT fans as who the hell can get a pie at half time from our top flight catering company......those guys must bring in about 20 of each pie and then sell out by kick off.