Scotty

Tremendous win all things considered, although if you read ajsict92's preview then we knew Aberdeen were not as convincing as their points tally indicates. Nonetheless, a great backs to the wall performance, it's what we do best.

Well done to all for digging in and it's a massive result with regards to the threat of relegation.............wheres bishybashyboshy's squeaking bum now?

Epic three points. I think this was the win which will secure safety and the players and Terry were ****-a-hoop at the end.

We absolutely bossed the first half and should have been well ahead. After Meekings went off it was very much backs to the wall but Aberdeen had very little to offer. A strong defensive performance with a commanding display from Golobart. Cherry on the cake was myself and ymip jr had to meet up with five dandy neighbours to travel back home. Happy days.

Let's hope we don't follow up this excellent win with a record low crowd on Wednesday. Hopefully this has removed any lingering doubts from some supporters that relegation was still on the cards and we can properly focus on getting as high up the table as possible. I doubt that 7th is possible but 8th is very realistic and would be a great acheivement given the loss of Rooney and, dare I say it - Munro, together with the terrible luck with injuries.

Just finished watching it on Alba. Great result. I thought we shaded the first half and deserved to be ahead. Second half was all Aberdeen, especially when we went down to 10. However it was a fine defensive effort. I've been critical of our defence several times this season, but today I couldn't fault them. They kept their shape well and fairly comfortably repelled all Aberdeen's attacks. Very pleasing, and what was particularly good to see was that there seemed to be a good team spitit. Should set us up nicely for a good run in the final 8 games.

Just back.

I've been hyper-critical of recent performances so I think it's only fair that this time I give oodles of credit to the players for a really gutsy display.

It did no harm to our chances that Aberdeen were absolutely hopeless today - even with the extra man they forced Tuffey into only one half-decent save in the second half. It was a significant change in shape from recent weeks - the addition of Jones very much turned it into a 4-3-3/4-5-1. Tansey played a bit further forward than OTJ and Foran but not to the extend that Nick Ross or Andy Shinnie normally would. I thought that the extra midfielder meant we were far better in possession than in recent games, and there was little sign of high balls being punted at McKay, thank goodness. We were hugely superior in the first half, especially after the goal. Tade legged it from one flank to another, played McKay through, and with the goalie hideously out of position McKay took it round him and cut it back cleverly from the by-line for Tade to stick into an empty net. A really well-worked goal, I thought. Foran was denied a second by a goalline clearance, and Tade and McKay were causing all sorts of problems. The main concern at half-time was that we only had one goal to show for our dominance - Aberdeen couldn't be any worse than in the first half.

After Meekings was sent off (no complaints - two blatant and foolish bookings), Butcher gambled on packing the pitch with defensive players and hanging on - it wasn't pretty but it worked well. Tade actually should have had another after a defensive blunder, but scuffed it wide with only the goalie to beat. But our backline dealt with everything that was thrown at them. There were no lucky breaks for the Dons, and they didn't deserve any.

I lost count of how often Golobart headed the ball in the last 10 minutes. The Spaniard had one or two 'moments' but otherwise I thought he was sensational. That was Rossco's best performance in ages too, and Graeme Shinnie had a superb game. I'm really pleased for Tuffers, who oozed confidence and had a couple of really good punches. Even those guys who didn't play brilliantly put in heroic shifts. Tade and Foran in particular looked like they were going to keel over at the end. McKay also deserves an honourable mention - he had a super game but had to be hooked after Meekings was sent off.

I can't be bothered going looking for negatives. That was a superb result and a display of real character from the ICT boys today - well done!

• Agree 8

Why would 7th not be possible. We're only 6 behind Killie with a game in hand

True. It is possible, I guess I meant I think it unlikely we will reach 7th. And the reason for that is that after their confidence boosting league cup win, I can't see Killie dropping enough points against the other bottom 6 clubs to allow us to catch them.

An ugly win but who cares when H*bs lose and the Pars only draw. Only one point behind the pack above now.

The first 5 mins on Alba with Camelot instead of the game left me frantically searching for the BBC's telephone number. However, it suddenly switched over about 2 mins 30 secs into the match.

Our defence played well and Johnny Tuffey slotted in fine. Ryan has a groin injury and is a doubt for Wednesday. The midfield played okay in the first half but looked a bit lost in the second. Tade, the goal apart, and Sutherland were pretty poor.

Couldn't make it up so I avoided the scores all afternoon and turned on Alba at half five to watch it as live... and got 10 minutes of Richard Harris in Camelot instead. Was just about to check online to see if the game had acually been played when it cut back in 3 minutes into the first half. Odd.

Anyway, great to see a really battling performance and a deserved three points. I thought the midfield had more presence than it has had since Davis' departure - Jones and Foran worked well together. Billy Mackay used the ball very intelligently up front too, until he had to be sacrificed, and the defending was terrific when we down to ten.

Not a particularly beautiful game to watch, but that should make us safe from relegation now, and Terry can start thinking properly about the team he wants for next season. Given that the last time I had to miss an away game we beat Killie 6-3, I'm also thinking I should become a full time armchair supporter.

Calderwood: Terrible defending by Proctor...

Well Gringo, I was at the match and have just watched it again on TV and I have no idea where Mr Calderwood gets his opinions from! I think he must read the nonsense posted on here at times!

Proctor was, along with every ICT player, a hero out on that park. If we cannot be proud of our team after that 'backs to the wall' defending, then something is very wrong with our support.

Back in the Bon Accord GC after the match, the admiration for the ICT performance being expressed by the Dons supporters underlined the fact that we played so,so well.

Forget Jimmy C, have a look yourself at Proctor and co and be proud of their collective display. At this point I would like to be able to say .. just look at Rossco, Tade or Golobart BUT it is unfair to single out any individual player after that team performance.

Edited by absent friend
  • Agree 1

I thought Calderwood's comment was harsh also. Proctor did his job well when he came on and the smile on his face when he made a clearance near the end and deservedly got a couple of pats on the back was class. I for one actually hope he stays at the club as I think he has a role to play as part of this new squad that is being developed.

As has been said already Aberdeen were dire in the first half and although they improved in the second half they were not able to get past our defence who held out well. Missed chances could have come back to haunt us but this was a great team display by all. I actually thought Tade played the lone striker role well once we were down to 10 and harried the Aberdeen defence as best he could. Was never going to be easy for him but on at least two occasions he actually created opportunities and in the first half he was winning quite a few headers/knock-ons to set us up. Both Foran and Tade could have got us a second but that is irrelevant now. Tuffey, Piermayr, Tokely, Golobart, Shinnie all played well - yeh there were the usual moments that have sometimes undone us this season but this time it went our way.

There are though still items to work on in training - several free kick opportunities were wasted and Meekings tackling (Terry and Maurice give him some help) needs some refinement - but well done lads - not just for the 3 pts but also ensuring that I had a return to winning ways with Mr Coral.

Now let's see if we can build on this for the last eight games starting against St.Johnstone in mid-week.

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back
  • Agree 1

Why would 7th not be possible. We're only 6 behind Killie with a game in hand

True. It is possible, I guess I meant I think it unlikely we will reach 7th. And the reason for that is that after their confidence boosting league cup win, I can't see Killie dropping enough points against the other bottom 6 clubs to allow us to catch them.

We win our game in hand, win all our other games then beat Killie and its ours

I thoroughly enjoyed that yesterday. Thought the defence was outstanding yesterday, even after Meekings red card, thought Proctor and Piermayr both did very well when they came on, Tokely and Golobart just seemed to win everything in the air, Golobart especially, that one moment when he lost it and then sprinted back to take it off Vernon was brilliant. We need to try and keep him, if we can he will become an absolute asset for us. Jonny Tuffey deserves credit too, sounds like he was a late inclusion in the starting line up but thought his handling was good and the couple of times he was called into action he did well.

In an attacking sense i thought Billy McKay had his best game in an ICT shirt yesterday, held the ball up superbly, chased down anything that came his way which led to the goal and was quite smart in the way he won a couple of free kicks. Tade also deserves a mention, he has had his critics of recent but his performances have not been good but he seemed back to himself yesterday, he actually had a big influence on his goal, it was him that started the play at the half way line, it was him that flicked the ball to McKay and it was him that banked on McKay's pass finding him. Tudur Jones had a real influence on the game two, between him and Foran they seemed much stronger than Aberdeen's midfield and again both defended well once we went down to 10.

I thought for the amount of time we were a man down Aberdeen did very little to test us, we defended solidly yes but for all the firepower they had on the pitch at the time i thought they looked distinctly average, having watched it yesterday it was no suprise that 6 of there last 11 games have seen them not manage a goal.

No qualms about the red card, Meekings was young and foolish, he will learn from it. We are more than sufficiently covered at full back just now. And needless to say another penalty shout went a miss yesterday, the handball from Vernon was blatant.

Hope we build from this, that was a gritty performance yesteday and as unattractive as it was it brought about a result, a couple more results like that and we can have a strong finish to the season.

Fans deserve immense credit it too, turned up in our numbers yesterday and i dont remember a quiet moment in the away end. As the game got more tense the way the fans were cheering the boys on to get a result which was just brilliant and i dont recall anyone leaving at full time so pat yourselfs on the back folks, you deserve it.

Edited by ajsict92
  • Agree 3

An inspiring first 45 minutes from ICT. Some of the link up play involving Tade, McKay and Sutherland was just sublime....Tade especially as he's not renowned for having a deft touch but the flick ons and through balls were top drawer. Only criticism is that we still lack someone reliable to get a shot on target and can't help but feel if we had Andrew Shinnie in the mix there then we'd have stuck a handful past Aberdeen in the first half.

Have heard a couple of comments suggesting OTJ started slowly, but I think "more composed" would be a better description. He could be key to the midfield battle for the rest of the season, not only through his own performance but from the confidence he seems to instil in those alongside him as Tansey had his best game this season and was moving with far more purpose and less "headless chicken" as has been the case a few times this season.

At the back...Golobart was immense, please can Wigan be relegated to increase the chance of us maintaining the lads services....just wish we had something in the kitty to offer Wigan a fee for him!!! If Tokely can turn out performances like that for the rest of the season then he might just change my mind about him being at the end of his SPL career with us. Young Shinnie was at his best, both in defence and in turning midfielders inside out when pushed further forward. Always nice to see a defender who can do more than just hoof it. Meekings...I would like to say that he was unlucky to have been carded twice, but he wasn't as he deserved both cards. The second one was always coming and Butcher should have done the lad a favour and hooked him before it happened, especially as we had two options in Proctor and Piermayr on the bench. Other than the cards and some cynical challenges besides, he had as good a game as anyone else.

Finally....Tuffey!!! I think it might have been a blessing in disguise for him to have started, especially towards the end of the game. If Esson has a weakness it is dealing with the high balls and that's what Aberdeen spent the last 20 minutes throwing at us time and again and Tuffey dealt with every one that came into his vicinity perfectly.

Second half of the game we did what we have failed to do on a few occasions, and that is see out a game with composure and confidence. Tade played a vital roll by constantly pushing forward and forcing Aberdeen into keeping 2 back.... nullifying the extra man advantage for the majority of the time. Midfield perhaps sat a bit deeper than they needed to, allowing Aberdeen to press further up the park and get the high balls in, but we dealt with it all well.

All in all, one of the best performances this season and evidence...if any were needed...that this team is more than capable. I just wish they would turn up and do it every week.

• Agree 2

Really happy with that performance. It was well worth the training walk! First half we played some good football and probably should have been further ahead at half time. In the second half, Aberdire came more into it but we were very solid at the back and dangerous on the counter attack.

Great to see Butcher kissing the Caley Thistle badge at the end as well! :ictscarf:

No-one's seemed to have mentioned it yet, but after Gnakpa's attitude meltdown against Kilmarnock he wasn't even on the bench yesterday. I won't be surprised if that's the last we've seen of him.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

Calderwood: Terrible defending by Proctor...

Well Gringo, I was at the match and have just watched it again on TV and I have no idea where Mr Calderwood gets his opinions from! I think he must read the nonsense posted on here at times!

Proctor was, along with every ICT player, a hero out on that park. If we cannot be proud of our team after that 'backs to the wall' defending, then something is very wrong with our support.

Back in the Bon Accord GC after the match, the admiration for the ICT performance being expressed by the Dons supporters underlined the fact that we played so,so well.

Forget Jimmy C, have a look yourself at Proctor and co and be proud of their collective display. At this point I would like to be able to say .. just look at Rossco, Tade or Golobart BUT it is unfair to single out any individual player after that team performance.

It was a Calderwood quote not mine.

• Agree 1

No-one's seemed to have mentioned it yet, but after Gnakpa's attitude meltdown against Kilmarnock he wasn't even on the bench yesterday. I won't be surprised if that's the last we've seen of him.

Pretty sure he was there yesterday, seen him in a pair of ICT trackies and an ICT jacket in the tunnel. I know he wasnt in the squad though and i wouldnt be suprised if your right.