Buchanan

Harry Chibber

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buchanan has been invited to come up for two weeks pre-season so CC and DP can look him over again. Last time he came they liked what they saw but felt he lacked strength. If he looks like he's develoing in the right direction I can see him being signed but not as a replacement for anyone. More as someone to be moulded for the future.

Wonder what that means for Dargo

Probably mean bu66er all to Dargo, hardly think he will a threat to a proven SPL goalscorer - yet. That is of course if he stays eh?

What I meant was I wonder if we are moving for buchanen as a result of talks breaking down with Dargs. I wasnt for a minute suggesting that he would feel threatened by Buchanen

My understanding is that talks have NOT broken down with Dargo. Both he and his agent have been out of the country so a suitable time for talks has not been possible. Next week will see answers one way or the other.

Guest WynessLegend

I don't feel the Buchanan situation has anything at all to do with whether Dargo goes or stays.

We need more options up front, and Buchanan would be - at the very least - a backup option and one for the future. At most he could be a successful goalscoring strike partner for Denzil.

Let's face it, he would be certain to be a better option than McSwegan was and may also give us the option to loan out young Rory to help his development.

He's also quoted as saying that he would be tempted to accept the certainty of full time football in Dingwall albeit at a lower level as against the risk of only being offered a two week trial with ourselves. Strikes me as a little lacking in ambition for a young lad.

Not sure it's a lack of ambition it sounds to me that he's being quite sensible. We seem to be mucking him about a bit - either he's good enough or he isn't so why shouldn't he sign for a team that actually want him rather than sitting by the phone hoping we make a decision

Not sure it's a lack of ambition it sounds to me that he's being quite sensible. We seem to be mucking him about a bit - either he's good enough or he isn't so why shouldn't he sign for a team that actually want him rather than sitting by the phone hoping we make a decision

Spot on kencar. It will do him good playing full-time in a lower division.

I see the talk of a move to C*unty as nothing more than an attempt by Buchanan and/or his agent to put a little pressure on ICT to make a decision.  I would not be at all surprised if he was a confirmed signing for us by the middle of next week without the need for a further trial.

If CC sees promise in him then whats to stop ICT taking him on and farming him out to the likes of County on a season long loan where County pick up the bulk or all of his wages... he gets the experience and we get the player back when CC is ready .... even at the level he is playing at 20+ goals is pretty decent

We seem to be making a bit of an arse about this.

While people are right regarding the whole Dargo situation....him pissing us about(mind, we're partially to blame as well), aren't we guilty of doing the same to Buchanan?

Either he's good enough, or he isn't. His goalscoring record over the last two seasons would suggest he'd be a very useful addition to the squad IMO. And the few reports I've read on him rate him pretty highly. He'll cost next to nothing too(not sure if a fee would be involved). So it's not like it's a massive gamble is it.

If we lose out on him because we can't make up our minds then that's very amateurish on our part.

While people are right regarding the whole Dargo situation....him pissing us about aren't we guilty of doing the same to Buchanan?

Yes !

What people have to remember here is Buchanan is a twenty two year old playing part time football in the lower leagues. In january he was assessed and deemed to be short on strength and fitness for SPL. He is now being given the chance to show that he has the commitment to improve. That cant happen until the squad return to training. If the lad is confident that he now has what it takes to play in this league then he'll be patient and wait. If he's not confident he'll go to a lower league club. At the end of the day, as well as signing on fees etc, we will have to pay compensation because of his age so its fair to say the club need to be sure of what their getting.

My one question is, if the lad is so good, how come he's still playing part time and hasn't been noticed by other clubs yet?

What people have to remember here is Buchanan is a twenty two year old playing part time football in the lower leagues. In january he was assessed and deemed to be short on strength and fitness for SPL. He is now being given the chance to show that he has the commitment to improve. That cant happen until the squad return to training. If the lad is confident that he now has what it takes to play in this league then he'll be patient and wait. If he's not confident he'll go to a lower league club. At the end of the day, as well as signing on fees etc, we will have to pay compensation because of his age so its fair to say the club need to be sure of what their getting.

My one question is, if the lad is so good, how come he's still playing part time and hasn't been noticed by other clubs yet?

Maybe our scouting network has unearthed a gem which as yet hasnt been noticed by other clubs.

I'm still puzzled by the statement that the club didnt sign him in January because of his strength/fintess issues. Strength and fitness are two attributes which can be improved on by training every day with set fitness regimes, if he's lacking strength, send him to the gym for a few months, no biggy! If the player has the ability when it comes to scoring goals then why dont we take the gamble, we really need to get our finger out and get players in the door to have them ready for our appetising opener against rangers

or maybe the 2 trials that he had at ICT he didn't impress, thus why there was no offer made for him  :023:

Prunty scored plenty of goals in the first division but was not an SPL striker maybe we thought he wasn't to the standard we were looking for????

Have some faith, wait and see what players are brought into the club before fingers are pointed

or maybe the 2 trials that he had at ICT he didn't impress, thus why there was no offer made for him  :023:

He's only had one trial with us.

Prunty scored plenty of goals in the first division but was not an SPL striker maybe we thought he wasn't to the standard we were looking for????

Prunty didn't score many goals for us full stop!  :015:

He's only had one trial with us.

Prunty didn't score many goals for us full stop!  :015:

"We have had Liam up here before and he's invited again. With Craig Dargo leaving, it opens the door even more for a player such as him to come in and prove he can be good enough in the SPL."

link

...but he did when he dropped to the first division

I don't get how we have missed out on Buchanan, he just didn't impress and wasn't offered a contract.. .. end of!

With Dargo going we don't need another third rate striker, we need a proven goalscorer.

Buchanan is not the top dog we need but a yet to develop second division player. :sillywave: