A new season, a new start

ict247

I don't often get time to post on here but I do like to keep up to date with my fellow fans opinions and I can more than identify with the frustration that is filling all of us at the moment.

I'm not the first and I certainly won't be the last to say that this has quite possibly, with exception the relegation year, been the worst season that ICT have ever experienced. With expectations raised by our current manager at the start of the season, we went into the campaign expecting a lot. The season has been marred by serious injuries, like no other ICT squad have ever had, a lack of consistency but the bottom line is that the reason we're sitting where we are is down to a lack of fight, passion, desire and quite frankly ability within the current squad. It truly has been a miserable season but while many may chose to turn their back on ICT, I for one am trying to look forward to next season.

Our SPL status is almost certainly secure and we now have a very important few months ahead of us as we try and re-group as a club and build a squad that is capable of challenging at a higher level next season. We as supporters may feel that criticising Butcher is the correct thing to do but the bottom line is that he will not be leaving in the next few months and it's time that we suck it up and get behind OUR CLUB and choose to support the team whatever it may look like. Whether people want Butcher here or not really isn't the issue as late Dundee United chairman Eddie Thompson said "Directors, managers and players come and go but the supporters stay with the club forever". This is OUR club and our loyalty shouldn't depend on who is managing the team or playing on the pitch.

We're about to be joined by our Highland neighbours in the top flight for the first time ever. This is the time that we must unite and back our club (including manager and players) to make sure that we stay the Highlands top and most successful team. That starts with the supporters continued loyalty!

So where all seems dull and bleak, let's look on next season as a fresh start for the club and an opportunity for further Highland success. Who knows maybe just maybe we'll be pushing for a European place this time next year! :tongue:

• Agree 7

Who knows maybe just maybe we'll be pushing for a European place this time next year! :tongue:

Is there a mass exodus of current squad and a queue of quality talent incoming that you're not telling us about?

theres plenty talent in the squad just not enough experience

the likes of meekings, g.shinnie, ross, doran, a.shinnie, even tansey is whos only 23 are all very talented footballers. they all are pretty lacking in experience and need to refine their game but at ict youth is the way forward just now, we dont have the funds to bring in a 26 year old at the peak of their career because they cost money.

perhaps the new investment will show next season, but next season is a new season butcher, malpas, and the playing squad will have learned from this season and im confident there will be much improved.

weve overcame second season syndrome. the best is yet to come from this squad. weve seen quality from them in patches this season. we seen it against killie, (feels like a distant memory now) , st mirren, away to rangers, and aberdeen a couple weeks ago

another 3-6 scoreline on saturday and were mathematically safe but il take a 0-1 just the same

bring on next season

the likes of meekings, g.shinnie, ross, doran, a.shinnie, even tansey is whos only 23 are all very talented footballers. they all are pretty lacking in experience and need to refine their game but at ict youth is the way forward just now, we dont have the funds to bring in a 26 year old at the peak of their career because they cost money.

perhaps the new investment will show next season, but next season is a new season butcher, malpas, and the playing squad will have learned from this season and im confident there will be much improved.

weve overcame second season syndrome. the best is yet to come from this squad. weve seen quality from them in patches this season. we seen it against killie, (feels like a distant memory now) , st mirren, away to rangers, and aberdeen a couple weeks ago

another 3-6 scoreline on saturday and were mathematically safe but il take a 0-1 just the same

bring on next season

Meekings - Not seen enough of him. Far too prone to seeing red for my liking.

Graeme Shinnie - Not good enough

Nick Ross - Talented, yes, but too lightweight. Not good enough.

Aaron Doran - Can kindly GTF whenever he wants. I know what he thinks of this team and what he's prepared to do given the chance to LET his boyhood team win.

Andrew Shinnie - Not really seen enough of him but seemed ok once he settled in. The real question will be how he comes back from this injury. I'm not holding my breath.

Greg Tansey - Absolutely, never in a million years good enough for this club.

Perhaps the investment money will make its way to the playing budget, I really don't see it though. Butcher and Malpas might have learned what from this season? And what are you basing that assumption on? They had their chance to make changes in January and didn't. They didn't learn much from the first half of the season.

I very much feel that you are blindly grasping at straws in order to defend the indefensible. Best yet to come? The best has been and gone. Kille game 6-3 was as good as it got. That's it. One game this season.

bring on next season

Meekings - Not seen enough of him. Far too prone to seeing red for my liking.

Graeme Shinnie - Not good enough

Nick Ross - Talented, yes, but too lightweight. Not good enough.

Aaron Doran - Can kindly GTF whenever he wants. I know what he thinks of this team and what he's prepared to do given the chance to LET his boyhood team win.

Andrew Shinnie - Not really seen enough of him but seemed ok once he settled in. The real question will be how he comes back from this injury. I'm not holding my breath.

Greg Tansey - Absolutely, never in a million years good enough for this club.

Perhaps the investment money will make its way to the playing budget, I really don't see it though. Butcher and Malpas might have learned what from this season? And what are you basing that assumption on? They had their chance to make changes in January and didn't. They didn't learn much from the first half of the season.

I very much feel that you are blindly grasping at straws in order to defend the indefensible. Best yet to come? The best has been and gone. Kille game 6-3 was as good as it got. That's it. One game this season.

wow you realy have to just dismiss anyones view diferent to yours as garbage

what do you mean aaron doran will do anything to make sure his boyhood club win? he was fecking brilliant against them when we beat them 3-2 here and effectively lost them the title.

you seem to base your view on every player good or not on one mistake. you say you havnt been at many games but you make all these judgements on the players.

meekings to prone to a red card? hes had 3 yellows all season 2 in the same game which led to his only red

graeme shinnie not good enough? well hes just got a call up to the under 21s he must be doing something right

nick ross talented but lightweight? id like to see you get the ball off him. hes superb on the ball

andy shinnie will he be the same player when he comes back? yes its a broken toe not a cruciate

and greg tansey. the player who can spray 60 yard passes for fun with deadly accuracy, the one player in our team with vision, he plays for the shirt week in week out. and hes *****? cant say i agree

what youve done is name weaknesses of certain players. were not gonna sign messi any time soon so get used to having players with flaws in the side

• Agree 4

wow you realy have to just dismiss anyones view diferent to yours as garbage

what do you mean aaron doran will do anything to make sure his boyhood club win? he was fecking brilliant against them when we beat them 3-2 here and effectively lost them the title.

you seem to base your view on every player good or not on one mistake. you say you havnt been at many games but you make all these judgements on the players.

meekings to prone to a red card? hes had 3 yellows all season 2 in the same game which led to his only red

graeme shinnie not good enough? well hes just got a call up to the under 21s he must be doing something right

nick ross talented but lightweight? id like to see you get the ball off him. hes superb on the ball

andy shinnie will he be the same player when he comes back? yes its a broken toe not a cruciate

and greg tansey. the player who can spray 60 yard passes for fun with deadly accuracy, the one player in our team with vision, he plays for the shirt week in week out. and hes *****? cant say i agree

what youve done is name weaknesses of certain players. were not gonna sign messi any time soon so get used to having players with flaws in the side

I dismiss fantasy as garbage. Massive difference.

Your arguments are massively flawed. Surely if the players are as good as you suggest, then we wouldn't still be in relegation trouble, four games from the end of the season?

You tell me about Doran. What I know about him came from straight from the horses mouth.

Meekings - I said prone to seeing red.

G Shinnie - Do you want me to give you a list of players who've played for the U21's over the years?? Means absolutely nothing.

Ross - I'm not a professional footballer so I don't anticipate being able to take the ball of him. Grasping at straws.

A Shinnie - It took him long enough to settle in the first time. Like I said, I'm not holding my breath.

Tansey - Does not play for the shirt. I must have missed these Xavi-esque passes. If he was as good as that he'd be up for an award.

What I've done is take the very players you mentioned as being talented and given you exceptional reasoning about why they shouldn't be playing. Juggling is a talent. Doesn't mean it gets you a place in an SPL squad.

Your absolute blind faith in everything to do with the club is admirable, but ultimately, ridiculous.

Jay_7 may i ask how you have such in depth criticisms when you yourself admit you havent seen enough of certain players?

Because the team as a whole, simply is not good enough. If it was, do you think we'd be looking at a points tally worthy of relegation?

im not going to bother with this arguement anymore youll never be happy with ict from what i can see. you strike me as the sort of person who is never happy. so you continue with your pesimistic drivle. call it what you wish, realistic or whatever not particularly fussed. i can see good things in players you obviously cant and theres no getting through to you.

• Agree 1

Diazepam not working Jay?

We are not getting relegated though. We are better than at least one team, possibly two. It has been a poor season, I don't think anyone will dispute that fact. Our points tally when we were relegated was the highest tally at that time for a relegated team.

Happy Clappers, Glass half full, we all support the same team surely, just see it slightly different. Injuries have blighted our season, thats not an excuse, that is fact. I also agree that we are not exactly blessed with our strongest squad, but it is our squad and surely that means we support our team.

We could all go on and on and on, but sometimes it's best to let things take it's course. It has certainly been a depressing season, and a frustrating one, but hey, we are SPL....................just. Next season could see a different situation, if not then change would be for the best.

Im glad you posted Jay 7 you seem to know quite a lot about football and the players we have, Is there any chance you could have a wee word with Terry and pass on a few names of players of a higher standard than the ones youve slated so far, who are dieing to play for us,I think with your knowledge and experience behind us we are going places.

Jay_7 may i ask how you have such in depth criticisms when you yourself admit you havent seen enough of certain players?

Because the team as a whole, simply is not good enough. If it was, do you think we'd be looking at a points tally worthy of relegation?

I think the team we were relegated with was better than this one. You saying that squad wasnt good enough? Considering the current crop of players have more or less seen us safe this season? I'm not going to take this debate any further. It seems like you won't be happy until everyone in the current set up is gone.

All i will say is transition takes time. Dosen't always necessarily click straight away. Butcher deserves another chance to put his own plans into motion. If we had played like this all season with a fully fit squad then i would've probably called for him to go. But like i said we have fallen foul of just about every disadvantage you could get in a season which have severely hampered any chance of us making progress and i will carry on saying this till im blue in the face.

Its at the point now where like the fans, the players probably just want the season to end. This has been a derailed, disrupted and underachieving season but time can be a great healer and who knows what another summer can bring.

Roll on 2012-13.

• Agree 4

Graeme Shinnie not good enough you having a laugh

Nick ross is easily the one of the hottest prospects to come through our youth system

Aaron doran can you prove what he said

Greg tansey is a very talented player just needs time to settle

so Jay what are you on cause i want some

• Agree 2

im not going to bother with this arguement anymore youll never be happy with ict from what i can see. you strike me as the sort of person who is never happy. so you continue with your pesimistic drivle. call it what you wish, realistic or whatever not particularly fussed. i can see good things in players you obviously cant and theres no getting through to you.

Quite right Luke, certain people think they know it all and nothing will change their minds.

There also seems to be a certain element within this forum that seem to want to stirr things up all the time and yet they call themselves supporters! I've always thought the word support meant to prop up, uphold, to get behind in a positive manner!

There is a a nucleus of players in the squad with real potential, not quite field wise yet but that will come sooner rather than later. When it does I wonder if these guys will be as quick to eat their words???

• Agree 2

Graeme Shinnie not good enough you having a laugh

Nick ross is easily the one of the hottest prospects to come through our youth system

Aaron doran can you prove what he said

Greg tansey is a very talented player just needs time to settle

so Jay what are you on cause i want some

No you dont Caley Ally he's on the wrong brand :wink:

• Agree 1

We are not getting relegated though. We are better than at least one team, possibly two. It has been a poor season, I don't think anyone will dispute that fact. Our points tally when we were relegated was the highest tally at that time for a relegated team.

Happy Clappers, Glass half full, we all support the same team surely, just see it slightly different. Injuries have blighted our season, thats not an excuse, that is fact. I also agree that we are not exactly blessed with our strongest squad, but it is our squad and surely that means we support our team.

We could all go on and on and on, but sometimes it's best to let things take it's course. It has certainly been a depressing season, and a frustrating one, but hey, we are SPL....................just. Next season could see a different situation, if not then change would be for the best.

Is it not ok to be upset with the current squad? People who are very upset have the right to say so, people who are upset but see the positives are also right to say so. But the linking factor is this, people are upset with what is happening at ICT!

Is it right to criticise individual players? Perhaps not, you could argue from when the sun goes down until it comes up again the negatives and positives of most of the squad individually but the main thing it comes down to is the performances from every single player, some performances from individuals have been unforgivable, AND AS A TEAM have been woeful for the majority of the season and people are not happy with paying good money to see this! I've been to 8 games this year, it costs me a lot to get back to Inverness and see a game, and I have never left the ground this season thinking it was worth it. And I am definitely not the only one.

IF we stay up (all optimism lost recently) then lets look to the positives as 'TerryMo' started this thread to do. The derby!!! God knows if C*nty will drub us every time we play but do you not think it'll be good to have a certain thing Tulloch has been lacking for a long time, atmosphere I think it's called?!

The POSSIBILITY of wise investment from the recent goings on with 'The Exiles'! Will it not be interesting to see how that pans out? We can all bitch and moan when the day comes where we ask where the money has gone, but surely it's worth some optimism?

And well that's about it....

TBH I can't think of many more as I'm finding it hard to be positive anything ICT wise after this dismal season, but it's worth a punt at somethings that could happen!

Guest Mahonio

Jay-7, what is your problem, the poor OP started this thread and was been optimistic about next season and you come on and start being negative and about individual players, could you do any better on the park? No, thought not!

I agree with Luke (post 2) regarding youth needing to be given a chance next season and also regarding experience, maybe Butcher will try and get in some experienced players this Summer, now that he has money to spend, then again, he might find some who have been released from other clubs.

I have complete faith in Tel getting it right this Summer regarding transfers and i look forward to next season :ictscarf:.

Edited by Mahonio

Without replying on every thread which always covers the same topics these days regarding TB and the team. There seems to be a hardcore of supporters who are so blinkered by the past they thay cannot look forward in any way. Everywhere its posted that the young players are not good enough without giving example of what young players are available that we should sign making us better (apart from the GMS bandwagon). Then it always harks back to is TB worse than Brewster, was Charlie or Robbo or Stevie P better managers, tactically more astutue etc - always looking back.

Fans are unhappy with SPL survival and expect what I do not know - top 6 every season, cup doubles, champions league? Where are the serious and realistic expectations? Survival and building a sound financial base with good cup runs is what we should be looking to and I'd rather see more effort and emphsais on the cups as in Scotland its the only chance us provincial teams have of glory.

Facts are we had an old and aging squad and while many served us well sometime and someone would have to re-shape it and personally I think there is a few positives this season in terms of the younger players and also who we should look to keep and move on (there have been equally as many failings which I'm not ignoring but they seem to be covered by everyone else). Certainly Ross, Shinnies, Golobart, Tansey, Dorrans we should be looking to keep. There are others like Gnapka (now gone), McKay, Gillet, Meekings, Winnall who should be moved on as just not being good enough and then there is Hayes and possibly Tuffey who we may not be able to keep.

Perhaps I'm more patient than other fans as I'm trying to see what TB is looking to do and providing the correct areas are addresses (centre backs, striker) then I'm hopeful for a much improved next season - if in 12 months we are having a similar discussion then perhaps its time to question TB as manager. Unless you are Man U nobody can rebuild a team and remain at the same level teh following year.

Edited by bdu98196

Stand corrected CD. But what would you expect from a man who refuses to believe in the immaculate conception, thinks donkeys are for carrying wood, stables for keeping horses and that no one, not even Pele, could walk on water!

• Agree 1

The glass is "half full" for all of us and the perception is dependent on the degrees of optimism and pessimism of the individuals. I am unfortunately, and unusually, feeling on the pessimistic side and I am concerned that the glass may not fill up. I actually do think that we have the basis of a decent squad of players and it is fairly evident what positions we need to fill - irrespective of whether it is loanees or not. The rivalry with Tinkerville will probbly heap more pressure on ICT to improve markedly. My concern is in respect of the coaching and tactical aspect of the club and that is not directly pointing the finger at TB. The first thing that we need to do is toss out Malpas and get in a coach with a fitness and skills background. I have been waiting for some "cracks" to show in TB's personna but that has not happened and that really concerns me. I feel that basically he isnt going to change and therefore neither will the style of the team. We either need somebody to stand up and be directly critical of TB (behind closed doors of course) and it was very interesting to see Sutherland actually fire a shot in public.

Bdu was spot on with - "Survival and building a sound financial base with good cup runs is what we should be looking to and I'd rather see more effort and emphsais on the cups as in Scotland its the only chance us provincial teams have of glory." - That is what I was looking for at the beginning of this season - a season of consolidation and experiment - the pressures decree that such an intent is not possible next season.

Then Bdu added - " if in 12 months we are having a similar discussion then perhaps its time to question TB as manager" - again that is what I was thinking at the beginning of this season.

Mahonio - "grasshopper" - "Faith is believing in something when common sense tells you not to."

Is it not ok to be upset with the current squad? People who are very upset have the right to say so, people who are upset but see the positives are also right to say so. But the linking factor is this, people are upset with what is happening at ICT!

Perfectly reasonable to be less than happy with what's on display. I just don't see Jay7 as a happy clapper somehow. The unreasonable part is making provocative comments to fellow fans for having a different opinion. For what it's worth I agree with most points made in the case against ICT, but completely ignoring our situation this year is like believing what you want to believe. I'm as cheesed off as the next person about our plight, if you have read any of the previews/reports on here then you will see where I'm coming from, but certain posters on here and on P&B are content to slag the club and moreso fellow fans off at the drop of a hat. We are verging on Old Firm hysteia here.

Let's look at our league position. Of course it's crap, we know it's crap, the manager know's it's crap and I'm pretty sure the players know it's crap. However, we are in the SPL and will be there next season with our lovely neighbours from over the bridge. Fans expectations is the one that sets off the alarm bells. We should be beating them, we should be beating whoever, how did we lose that. We have no more right to win any game than the opposition have, thats why they are there playing us. Old Firm mentality I'm afraid.

By all means express your doubts as to where you think it's all gone pear shaped, but if someone else believes otherwise then let them have their say, it's a forum for discussion, good or bad, we swing both ways on here. But personal attacks on fellow posters just ruin what can be a constructively negative post, and becomes point scoring instead. People who dish out insults should expect some in return, that's the way of the world I'm afraid.

There are dozens of reasons for what is wrong this season.

Grant Munro

Terry Butcher

Maurice Malpas

Quality

Passion

Injuries

Suspensions

Tactics

Expectations

Top-Six

Danni Sanchez

Free Kicks

Greg Tansey

Corners

Own Goals

Long balls

No Balls

Strikers, or lack of them

Defenders

Continuity

Apathy

Safety Net

Fans on yer backs

Negativity

Confidence

etc

etc

etc

to the Nth degree

What's right this season

Dunfermline

6-3 at Killie

erm, erm

We now know that our main striker can't score goals

We now Know that our defenders can't defend

the seasons nearly over

• Agree 8

Perfectly reasonable to be less than happy with what's on display. I just don't see Jay7 as a happy clapper somehow. The unreasonable part is making provocative comments to fellow fans for having a different opinion. For what it's worth I agree with most points made in the case against ICT, but completely ignoring our situation this year is like believing what you want to believe. I'm as cheesed off as the next person about our plight, if you have read any of the previews/reports on here then you will see where I'm coming from, but certain posters on here and on P&B are content to slag the club and moreso fellow fans off at the drop of a hat. We are verging on Old Firm hysteia here.

Let's look at our league position. Of course it's crap, we know it's crap, the manager know's it's crap and I'm pretty sure the players know it's crap. However, we are in the SPL and will be there next season with our lovely neighbours from over the bridge. Fans expectations is the one that sets off the alarm bells. We should be beating them, we should be beating whoever, how did we lose that. We have no more right to win any game than the opposition have, thats why they are there playing us. Old Firm mentality I'm afraid.

By all means express your doubts as to where you think it's all gone pear shaped, but if someone else believes otherwise then let them have their say, it's a forum for discussion, good or bad, we swing both ways on here. But personal attacks on fellow posters just ruin what can be a constructively negative post, and becomes point scoring instead. People who dish out insults should expect some in return, that's the way of the world I'm afraid.

There are dozens of reasons for what is wrong this season.

Grant Munro

Terry Butcher

Maurice Malpas

Quality

Passion

Injuries

Suspensions

Tactics

Expectations

Top-Six

Danni Sanchez

Free Kicks