Tramps

dougiedanger

In my young day. the Craig was invariably referred to as Craig Dunain (Hospital).

I remember once  getting exasperated with the antics of a  member of our family a very long time ago who had a habit of blaming someone else for his woes and saying to him something along the lines of ''You keep this up  and you will end up in Craig Dunain."

I think he was not pleased. :wink:

In my young day. the Craig was invariably referred to as Craig Dunain (Hospital).

I remember once  getting exasperated with the antics of a  member of our family a very long time ago who had a habit of blaming someone else for his woes and saying to him something along the lines of ''You keep this up  and you will end up in Craig Dunain."

That was the refrain of all the Mas of Sneck as their bairns drove them wild "You'll send me up the Craig!" 

• Agree 1

I'm not sure when they started calling it Craig Dunain Hospital, but I think it may have been round about 1950. I have certainly seen newspaper references in the immediate post war years to the Inverness District Asylum and before that it was known as the Lunatic Asylum. As with so many other things (like the Backward Class becoming Remedial becoming Learning Support becoming Support for Learning in schools) it was the subject of evolving political correctness.

Certainly my granny always called it "The Asylum" but what tends to happen is that the perception of words changes and hence they acquire derogatory connotations.

For instance the IRA Rector's Log Book in the 1950s refers quite openly to "spastics" and similarly my aunt (my uncle having been a consultant psychiatrist, including at CD for a while) would frequently talk about "defectives".

"Educationally subnormal (ESN)" became "Special Needs" but that is now struggling because people frequently use "A Special" as a term of derision.

And yes, how often have we older Invernessians heard the expression "You'l have me in the Craig" or similar!

I believe the building was known as Craig Dunain since it opened in 1864 as the Northern Counties District Lunatic Asylum. Initially built to house 250-300 patients. By 1964 it held 1100 patients.

Good article here https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/lifestyle/health-and-beauty/47587/look-craig-dunains-150-years-history/

• 2 weeks later...

when they finally finish the flood barriers!

Optimist!

Maybe we should hold a poll on which will happen first - finishing the flood barriers or starting the West Link? Neither looks remotely imminent.

Using the following three terms, construct a sentence to describe the management of public works in Inverness - Gelluns.... Highland Council.... p!ss up.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

• 1 month later...