Zander Diamond

bdu98196

Seems he has been released from Oldham, no doubt a few clubs north of the border will be chasing after him (guessing at Dons, D Utd, Hearts, Hibs, Motherwell maybe others too), could or should we be considering making an offer? I always thought he was a decent player at Aberdeen although a little over-rated, he could perform a job in our ailing defence next season I think.

His last season at Aberdeen wasnt a good one but from what i recall they went through quite a long spell playing with full backs or midfielders covering at centre half with him. Couldnt have been easy playing without a settled defensive partner. I suppose much the same could be said about our defence this season.

IMO he wouldnt be a bad acquisition, so many times ICT have provided the catalyst in turning round players careers, no reason why we couldnt do the same here

Diamond & Clarkson (mentioned on another thread) would be decent signings. Sadly I doubt we'd get either of them although if you don't ask you don't get! I would think we'll be looking at bringing in players from the likes of Macclesfield & Hereford that no one here has heard of :frown:

2 weeks ago there were a lot of rumours in Dingwall that he's signing for us. I doubt we could afford him but we'll wait and see!

Sorry but if we are interested and you do sign him we need to take a serious look at our whole operation.

Edited by caleyboy

As Yngwie says, County will no doubt sign players over the next few months that our fans will feel we should have signed.

If they are signing for County then in theory there is no reason why we couldnt have signed them, it boils down to whether we want to or not.

I cant see County being able to offer more wages (at the moment) than us and any player who would be willing to move to Dingwall would be willing to move to Inverness.

As we have frequently seen in recent times with two clubs that are close by, i.e rangers/celtic, hearts/hibs etc agents will tout their players to both clubs so i wouldnt be suprised to see some future paper headlines saying County and Caley in battle to sign player x or suchlike

It will all probably come down to money. I would rather we spent more money on a smaller number of quality, experienced signings than sign another large number of younger players. At 26 and 27 Clarkson and Diamond are entering the peak of their careers and will need to impress if they have aspirations to do well in their own careers. Like Libero said we have rejuvenated so many careers in the past and there is no reason why we can't do the same with players like that.

• Agree 2

All very true Libero.

From a player's perspective, if the money is equal, County have the appeal of being a team on the up, whereas we might be perceived as being on the slide. But we have the track record of being a more established and credible SPL club. And due to Terry Butcher's profile and connections, we should be better placed to recruit players from England - good and bad!

Edited by Yngwie

At this stage I very much doubt we will offer the same for wages as you could. We're in the same league now so I imagine both sets of fans this summer will be wondering why they didn't sign a good player than went to the other club.

Zander Diamond has left Latics after mutually agreeing a termination of his contract.

It is a decision which has been dictated by finance as Latics cannot afford to keep the 27-year-old defender whose deal was due to expire at the end of June.

Manager Paul Dickov said: "I would have liked Zander to stay, but contractually that is not possible and finances dictate we cannot keep him.

"I would like to thank Zander for his efforts and his attitude from day one has been fantastic."

It is no secret that had Diamond made another start it would have earned a new contract for 2012/13.

Diamond said: "In the economic climate and with the playing budget set to be cut, the club could not honour that.

"It is disappointing as I have loved my season here and thought I would be staying."

Diamond added he had enjoyed his season with Latics and the new adventure after nine years in Scotland at Aberdeen.

"I leave Latics with some good memories and I want to stay in England having had a taste here," he explained.

Diamond pointed out he already has interest from a number of clubs.

Latics' manager believes it is going to be a challenging close season with some difficult decisions to be made.

"There will be players released by our choice but there will be some through finances which will dictate we cannot keep them," he conceded.

article here: http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsUpdate/0,,10337~2755730,00.html