CTO Player Of The Year - Roman Golobart

I'll put together an article when I get the chance, but I thought it was worth making it public knowledge - ROMAN GOLOBART is the twelfth winner of the CaleyThistleOnline.com Player of the Year trophy!

Congrats to Roman, who was man of the match in 9 different games and player of the month twice. After totting up the scores from the Dunfermline game, he has an unassailable 13 point lead over Graeme Shinnie.

Well done Roman, hopefully you will be around next season to try and retain your title!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

To me this has been a season where there has been no real stand out player for us.

But Golio deserves the honour at least as much as anyone else, so well done to him, and I'll be delighted if he somehow ends up back with us next season.

Previous winners of Scottish football's most prestigious honour:

2000/01

Bobby Mann

2001/02

Barry Robson

2002/03

Stuart Golabek

2003/04

Liam Keogh

2004/05

Ross Tokely

2005/06

Craig Dargo

2006/07

Barry Wilson

2007/08

Don Cowie

2008/09

Ian Black

2009/10

Jonny Hayes

2010/11

Ryan Esson

What a team you could make out of that.

• Agree 1

we'd still kick county's arse with that team!

Well done to Roman, to say he was pish when he first came to ICT was a bit of an understatement but the lad has come on leaps and bounds, he'll be a great back up for wigan or a 1st team regular for us (if he wants to stay).

I've never seem a player adapt so well. He was thrown in at the deep end against scott vernon and josh magennis the day after he signed because tokes was suspended and he had a torrid time. But if I remember correctly he went on to have a much improved second half, and against killmarnock the next week he had a stormer.

He had a few mishaps usually against Dundee utd but he's always bounced back and since January he's been superb. Well deserved from the most stylish centre half in the world.

A talented player no doubt he's only going to improve. I really hope we can resign him.

Well deserved

• Agree 1

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:58 AM

Being smack back in Pie Eating country and all the in laws being Wigun supporters I have some genuine inside knowledge here - especially from my brother in law who works at the stadium and watches all the reserve games.

Unfortunately he describes Golobart as a skillful, typically Spanish defender who is very strong in the air and likes to play football from the back. He does also describe him as being a bit too cocky at times and prone to have lapses in concentration - and is a far better player when he has more experienced defenders around him. States that he could be deadly from dead ball situations. He has apparently just got into the first team squad due to his performances in training. He stands out in Wigan as he doesnt wears braces or buys his clothes from primark.

Fairly spot on from ma bruv in law. The problem with some fans is that they expect "rookies" to slot in to the team, forgetting that the SPL is a big step up for them and their "flaws" are there to be shot at. The "good thing" is that, although Roman has progressed he is still a long way from EPL standard - and hopefully that may encourage Martinez to allow him to stay at least another six months.