Tansey leaves ICT

caley1980

I'll add here my best wishes to Greg.

Shame we couldn't hold on to him. I had hoped he would stay following his words the other day stating he'd like to.

All the best Greg

• Agree 1

On the one hand, I felt a bit let down by his performances this season - when he arrived he had a reputation as a goalscoring midfield player who delivered a mean set piece; maybe my expectations were too high but he certainly didn't live up to them. When pushed into a more advanced position, with two midfielders behind him, he looked a lot more dangerous to me, so I suspect our system didn't help him.

What worries me is that our offer to him was inferior to that of a League One team - whether that's simply in financial terms or there are other issues I don't know. But it's a marker of how much we will struggle to attract decent players to the club.

Stevenage ffs...............................................No big loss in my opinion, never set the heather on fire anyway. Bigger & better out there.

• Agree 3

I suppose with ICT only offering 1 or 2 year deals at present, the 3 years deal at Stevenage may well be better. After all, if he delivers down there, then he'll get a cut of any sign on fee should he move.

Even if Stevenage offered the same wage, 3 years is obviously more appealing to a player than 1 or 2.

Yup....agreed, one year deals do not offer much security. Im not a fan of them at all. I find them to be slightly negative in outlook. My English Team (Newcastle) seem to be one of the few who still hand out 5 yr deals

I'm not really that fussed to be honest. Flattered to deceive a lot of time and can be easily replaced. Nick Ross and Andrew Shinnie to name just two are players in the squad who for my money are the better ball players.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

We are a feeder club. We can't hold onto players because we cant offer 3/4/5 year contracts because we don't know where we will be in 4/5 years. So players come here get noticed and move up. You fail to make an impact here then Your probably going in the wrong direction.

It's a situation that has marred butchers reign and I have nothing but sympathy for him. The position he's in is horrendous and not his fault. He's tried to sell players to raise funds but we still can't work our way around it.

But players will always move on, what is most important is that we have a stable club financially and that should be every clubs pirogative. Keep the club stable financially first and foremost. Il be happy as long as we have that

I said this in the rumour thread but I'll say it here too.

All the best to Greg, I think this is a great move for him to be fair, 3 years at a League 1 side who made the play offs this year. I don't think he (or many of the players in the SPL) could have expected much more.

Can only echo whats been said.

Was a good player but never lived up to the hype that was spoken of him. Can be easily replaced. IMO if he had stayed another season and built on his first season he wouldve had much more serious intrest than just League 1.

However he has made his decision and can only wish him well for the future...good luck Greg.

disappointed really as I felt he was one of those who could possibly step up a gear. Sometimes effective, sometimes not ... but I had the inkling that there was a spark there waiting to be ignited .....

As others have said, not irreplaceable, but like CaleyD he would have been on my "keep" list !

Bit surprised he left but as said he isn't much of a loss to the starting 11 but I think he'd have been a good squad player to have. Not disappointed he's away, I rated Odhiambo and Sanchez higher and feel we can find a better player than him this summer.

Thought he was just starting to show a bit of form in the last few games of the season but had too many indifferent displays. If he had stayed I think he could have been a pretty decent player for us next season.

As others have said however he wasnt the free scoring midfielder we had hoped for. Hopefully Terry can replace with a more prolific attacking midfielder

anyways, all the best Greg

Disappointed about this. If nothing else this shows the folly of one year deals. People will argue it is a sign of the times but that is bolloxs - if you have to keep reinventing your team each year then you cannot build anything meaningful and eventually the odds are you are going down. Also as a board you have put your faith in the manager and his team so let him offer 2 year deals. I think this is the first real sign that we will see a completely new team next year again. I am concerned where our club is heading and as such it puts a far bigger strain on our management team to try and create a solid platform on which to build on.

Agreed we've got to start offering 2 year deals if the club are serious about staying in the SPL - also at least then if anybody's interested in a player after a year they will command a fee, however modest.

Restricting finances to the extent that we are continually stitching a team together from other peoples cast offs is false economy and will end with us playing part-time in D1.

• Agree 3

While I do not disagree with a lot of what has been said, surely part of the way to go is to rear our own players. While it will be difficult to produce a complete team, I think we should be aiming for at least 5 to 6 home grown players. I think we are definately missing out here. I also think we should be trawling a lttlle closer to home in the SFL and possibly Highland League as there must be 1 or 2 gems out there.

• Agree 1