Wimbledon 2012

Guest Mahonio

Guest Mahonio

It is nearly that time of year again where i sit in front of tv all day watching Tennis on the BBC :) :).

Seedings announced tomorrow and draw available on Friday.

Wildcards for Mens and Ladies Singles: Jamie Baker, Oliver Golding, Josh Goodall, James Ward (all GBR), David Goffin (Belgium), Tommy Haas (Germany), Lleyton Hewitt (Australia) and Grega Zemlja (Slovenia), Naomi Broady, Johanna Konta, Laura Robson, Heather Watson (all GBR), Virginnie Razzano (France), Yaroslava Shvedova (Kazakhstan), Ahleigh Barty (Australia) and Melanie Oudin (USA).

Guest Mahonio

Murray destroyed Nikolay 6-1, 6-1, 6-4 in just over 1 hr 30, hitting 27 winners and only 6 unforced errors and also faced NO break points :) :).

He is expected to meet Karlovic on Thursday, Ivo currently leads 2 sets to 1 and 1-1 in 3rd with match delayed due to bad light so Murray will have extra time to recover.

Murray will win if he plays as well as he did today, simples ;).

Guest Mahonio

Murray v Karlovic is 2nd on Centre Court tomorrow at approx 1430 and also on Court 1 is Elena Baltacha v Petra Kvitova, which is 2nd or 3rd match on so it could be an evening match for Elena, wonder if Judy will miss her son in action again to be at Court 1 for Baltacha.

Murray should win imho but he may lose a set on the way to round 3 but EB will lose heavily to last years champ.

Guest Mahonio

Murray won 7-5, 6-7, 6-2, 7-6 against Ivo and plays Cypriot, Marcos Baghdatis in Round 3 on Saturday and his half of the draw has opened up after Rafa lost a 5 set thriller to 100 ranked Czech, Lukas Rosol 6-7, 6-4, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 :O.

Murrays expected route going by rankings is Bagdatis, Cilic, Ferrer, Tsonga, Djokovic but Raonic could be his opponent instead of Cilic and Juan Martin Del Potro instead of Ferrer.

Imho, Murray should get past Baghdatis but this may also be in 4 sets.

Those that know reckon that Raonic is on his way to winning a slam event in the near future. Good win for Murray against a very big server who was acing Murray with his second serves. He dug deep to edge him out and can look forward to a couple more rounds surely.

Guest Mahonio

Well, well, well. What a nervy end to that match last night with Murray confirming his win at 2302hrs.

His next opponent is Croat, Marin Cilic who was on court for 5 and a half hours yesterday, winning the 5th set of his match 17-15 :O.

Here is BBC Sports view on Cilic v Murray: http://www.bbc.co.uk...ennis/18666486.

Guest Mahonio

Murray again started the Cilic match very slowly after falling 2-0 behind but he found his form and broke to level at 2 all, then again in game 12 to take the 1st set by 7 games to 5, the 2nd he started much better, breaking in game 4 to lead 3-1 and was 40-0 up in his own serve when rain suspended play for the day :(.

He will resume tomorrow afternoon at 1200hrs so he will play 3 matches in 3 days if, as expected, he wins tomorrow.

Guest Mahonio

Murray was way more assured today and won through 7-5, 6-2, 6-3 to set up a last 8 encounter with Spaniard, David Ferrer who demolished Juan Martin Del Potro 6-3, 6-2, 6-3.

I predict Murray to win this one in 5 very tough sets, what do you guys reckon :)?

I hope you're right Mahonio. Ferrer is in the form of his life, and having beaten Murray in their last two meetings, will be full of confidence. But I thought Murray played his best tennis of the tournament in the last set and a half against Cillic, so he too should be full of confidence. Should be a good match, with Murray just shading it, I hope!

Guest Mahonio

Murray v Tsonga is 2nd on Centre Court so should be on about 4, half 4, depending on how long Djokovic v Federer takes.

BBC Sport has a few columns on this match and in fact, every pundit has Murray to win, my prediction is: Murray to win in 4 or 5 sets.

Don't really know much about tennis so please excuse my ignorance. IF Murray should get through generally who will he have a better chance of beating in the final?

Equally tough, but Djokiovic is the current world number 1 therefore he should present Murray with the toughest option, however, Federer has won this title six times before and knows how to close it out. It's a big ask, and Tsonga is a powerful player as well, so should be a good set of semi's.

Big well done Andy. Could this be the year that the tennis history books are re-written?

It definitely will be one way or another! If Roger wins he will go back to number 1 and break Pete Sampras' record of total number of weeks at number 1!

Well, we've already had an English player winning the men's doubles at wimbledon today and becoming the first Brit to win a mens doubles title for 76 years so hopefully Andy can follow suit tomorrow and get the Scots into the record books. Jonathan Marray's achievement is actually quite remarkable. He got a wildcard entry and has had 4 five set matches and has beaten 4 of the top 9 seeds in order to win the title.

I've a good feeling about tomorrow. As Ronaldo says, Murray can beat Federer and has a pretty good record against him. There will be a lot of pressure on Federer as winning the title will mean he equals the record of the most ever wimbledon men's singles titles.

However, whatever happens tomorrow, my nomination of sporting achiement of the week goes to the New Zealeander Bob Charles, the left handed golfer who yesterday fired a 66 in a European Senior Tour event. Charles is now 76 years old and therefore shot a round 10 less than his age! This beat the previous record for a tour round (which he held) by an incredible 5 shots. It's quite unbelievable. As I approach retirement I am happy if I shoot 9 holes in less than my age. Good on you, Bob. Whatever it is you're on, will you send me some?

Well, we've already had an English player winning the men's doubles at wimbledon today and becoming the first Brit to win a mens doubles title for 76 years

But when exactly did doubles become a game for players who aren't good enough to play singles? I remember when all the top players used to do doubles too, and would even win their singles title and then play the doubles final the same afternoon.