Wimbledon 2012

Guest Mahonio

Well, we've already had an English player winning the men's doubles at wimbledon today and becoming the first Brit to win a mens doubles title for 76 years

But when exactly did doubles become a game for players who aren't good enough to play singles? I remember when all the top players used to do doubles too, and would even win their singles title and then play the doubles final the same afternoon.

Those were the days. And no tie-breaks either! The game has changed though and the old serve and volley game is no longer a viable tactic - even on grass. We now get the cat and mouse rallies from the back of the court which can be entertaining but it does make the game longer and more demanding of the players. The top players simply have not got the physical reserves for lengthy matches in both singles and in doubles.

But a title is a title. Personally I prefer wathching the doubles and no doubt there are some players who prefer playing doubles to singles. It is not necessarily that they are not good enough to play singles, it is just that different qualities are required.

Guest Mahonio

:( Well he fell at the Final Hurdle and to be honest, it was a real heartbreaker because the guy played a good, positive match.

I was very moved by his emotional on-court interview and i think a lot of people were.

Here is the interview for anyone that missed it on tv: http://www.bbc.co.uk...ennis/18763335.

devestating to watch him fight with every fibre of his being to win and just fall at the final hurdle, was devestating to watch never mind play in, but that was as good as ive seen federer play, and he has earned the title of the greatest grass court player of all time for me. i dont even think nadal wouldve beaten murray in that final thats how good federer was.

but after this i think the next 2 year we will see a couple grand slam titles in murrays hands, and hes definatly in contention for olympic gold.

LETS GO ANDY LETS GO! :scotland:

• Agree 1