Inverness Bakers

rytenuff

old baker shop in tomnahurich st was munros the bakers(oddly enuf) i used to get a pie and a cream donut everymorning when i worked in Rossleighs gar 73-74

A good healthy breakfast :wink:

I used to sell Telford rolls all over Inverness.At any one time I'd have 25 or so teenagers delivering rolls to houses I'd previously canvassed.I'd cycle all over town every couple of weeks picking up all the cash for the previous fortnights sales.By the end of my trip my rucksack would be full of small change and be so heavy I could hardly lift it.I'd spend the next day counting it all out and bagging it.I'd then cycle into The Clydesdale Bank and get there just as they were closing.I'd plead with them to let me in because otherwise I was stuck with this pack full of change.I'd then head down to see 'Mrs Roll/Bartniczeck, give her the bakeries 'cut' and then blether about life for a while.The Bartniczecks were lovely people.How they put up with me and my appearance (straight out of Woodstock 1969 ) I often wonder.10 or more years after I'd finished this enterprise people would come out their houses and ask me if I'd any rolls for sale.

• Agree 3

I dont.When I started as a teenager in Balloch Mr Bartniczeck (senior) would pick us up in his wee van and deliver us and the rolls to wherever we were selling them.He had triple glazed glasses on and struggled to see out the window.Laterly his son took over the driving and would run the rolls all over town to the kids I'd recruited houses.The Bartniczecks were hard working , up every day at 4am.I was 'sleeping for Scotland 'at the time rarely rising before mid day.Mrs Roll would occasionally phone me and my mother would wake me up and I'd have to sound as if I'd been up for hours .

• 4 months later...

Richard Bartlecheck? 

I don't think that's the correct spelling. I think "Bartincek" may be closer but not necessarily completely correct either.

Bartniczek. I know this cos I was in school with his son Richard. Really nice family.

• 2 months later...

Peter - was the Skinners bakery at #17 Kenneth St in what is now Victoria Wine on the corner of Kenneth St and Tomnahurich St?

My granddad was in digs above a bakers in that shop before WWI in the room above the front door with the crow step gables. my father always jokes that his old man told him that when someone came in for a pie the wifey behind the counter would ask them if they wanted one straight from the oven, and then she'd go through the back of the shop and shoo the cat of a tray of old pies before bringing out a warm pie..........

cruel luck for my Granddad that he started going to watch the Caley around that time. if only he'd found digs above the Skinners on Stephens brae

Peter - was the Skinners bakery at #17 Kenneth St in what is now Victoria Wine on the corner of Kenneth St and Tomnahurich St?

My granddad was in digs above a bakers in that shop before WWI in the room above the front door with the crow step gables. my father always jokes that his old man told him that when someone came in for a pie the wifey behind the counter would ask them if they wanted one straight from the oven, and then she'd go through the back of the shop and shoo the cat of a tray of old pies before bringing out a warm pie..........

cruel luck for my Granddad that he started going to watch the Caley around that time. if only he'd found digs above the Skinners on Stephens brae

No I don't think so. Was that Skinners not much further up Kenneth St - one of the shops on the left hand side heading towards Telford Street between Attadale Rd and Ross Ave? In the mid 50s, when very young, I lived in 93 Kenneth St which was slightly further up still, so the shop number was perhaps in the 70s? I can't quite remember whether the shop I think might have been Skinners was the one on the corner of Attadale Rd (or was that Allans the grocer's?) or the one a little further along (or was that the butcher's that I went into at an early age claiming that my cuddly rabbit had myxomatosis - which rather dates the event?!)

Certainly when I was a teenager, the shop on the corner of Kenneth St and Tomnahurich St was one of two licensed grocers - of which one was Alexander Fraser's - which were famously willing to sell to well-under agers!

Stuart Walkers licensed grocer.

That's the one Bughtmaster! Stuart Walker was on the corner and Alexander Fraser was on Tomnahurich St itself, diagonally across the road. I remember going into Fraser's once, aged about 14, and saying "A bottle of cider please" to which the guy replied "which kind would you like son?"

Skinners was at the junction of Kenneth Street and Attadale Road which was where John Harrison had his first shop as Highland TV Services after starting in Falcon Square, it is now the art gallery.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I was working as a CA apprentice back in the early 80s I remember that one of our jobs was to go to Munros the bakers in Tomnahurich Street every morning to collect the  cash from the shop from previous day before checking and banking. It was also the chance to get (most times) a free snack for our morning office break. I'm torn between the pies and the cream cookies as to what was best!

Charlie--it sure sounds like you were a bit of a lad when you were a teenager. Was that because you
were either irrepressible or just plain precocious? Myxamatosis?     :laugh:  Why,  I'm beginning to warm to you . :lol: 

And , HighlandRover, when you were doing yoir deliveries I suppose you looked very hirsute (Woodstockish, like)  because you
didn't have time in the morning to use your...Rolls.... razor as much as anything?

• 5 months later...

I am doing history of the bakers of Inverness and would appreciate anymore information.

Hi - I realise this thread is a few months old now but was interested in the above.  I'm the youngest daughter of Alistair Skinner who owned Skinners the Bakers - info on here is correct - there was a shop at the bottom of Stephen's Brae and one in Kenneth Street and I worked in both!  All the family did.  That's how we earned our pocket money!

The original bakehouse was behind the shop in Stephens Brae but in latter years it was moved to larger premises in Argyll Street.  Dad died suddenly in 1976 - he'd had a heart attack in December 1975 and was making a good recovery but got flu and his body just wasn't strong enough to fight it.  Mum kept the business going for a few years after that then sold it to a hairdresser I think.

And yes he was very active in the BBs - a regular churchgoer in the East Church of Scotland, sang in the choir, was a BB officer, took the Young Brothers for years as well as running the badminton club - also did some lay preaching in his spare time. 

I have to say I thought every kid had scones, pancakes and cream cakes at teatime till I started going to friends' houses and realised they didn't!  Which is probably why I was virtually on a diet from around age 14 ...... :lol:

Are you doing the history for any specific reason?

Hello,

I'm researching two ancestors/relatives of mine - Thomas Skinner and his daughter, Ray Skinner.

I believe Thomas Skinner was a master baker in Inverness.

At the moment, I don't know much about Tom or Ray.

But am wondering if this Tom Skinner is the person you're talking about?

Regards,

Grant.

Hello,

I'm researching two ancestors/relatives of mine - Thomas Skinner and his daughter, Ray Skinner.

I believe Thomas Skinner was a master baker in Inverness.

At the moment, I don't know much about Tom or Ray.

But am wondering if this Tom Skinner is the person you're talking about?

Regards,
Grant.