Inverness Bakers

rytenuff

I actually have a memory of sitting in the tearoom with my mother and a friend of hers having the proverbial afternoon tea. :lol:  Intrigued but maybe a little bored too... :smile: .

The Carlton in Inglis Street was more my mother's hang-out, but I have similar memories - in an era of waitresses in black and white uniforms and lace headgear.

It was really boring, wasn't it? Almost as boring as when she had to take me to visit her friend Mrs Reid in Charles Street and I just sat there without a clue as to what they were talking about because I wasn't too sure what Sputnik, Suez, Eden and Eisenhower were all about.

• Agree 1

I actually have a memory of sitting in the tearoom with my mother and a friend of hers having the proverbial afternoon tea. :lol:  Intrigued but maybe a little bored too... :smile: .

The Carlton in Inglis Street was more my mother's hang-out, but I have similar memories - in an era of waitresses in black and white uniforms and lace headgear.

It was really boring, wasn't it? Almost as boring as when she had to take me to visit her friend Mrs Reid in Charles Street and I just sat there without a clue as to what they were talking about because I wasn't too sure what Sputnik, Suez, Eden and Eisenhower were all about.

And you still don't :lol:  :lol:

Bughtmaster, your memory is as good as your assessments.

But listening  to everything, including all the adult conversations, you were soon forgotten and tolerated by the adults if you kept silent and thus learned a lot about people and about life. Gossip was never about secrets but about saucy tales justly relished. :lol:

Me, I saw an opportunity when I was  about 7 or 8 to nick  a fag that I found on the living room floor , lit it and puffed up under the piano keyboard. Still totally ignored, I had two drags and within a couple of minutes I was feeling sick coupled with an ashen face to boot. Still nobody noticed me and I fled the scene to retch in the bathroom upsrtairs out of sight and mind. The joys of growing up, eh? :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

Bughtie and IBM--I just looooooove it when you blokes come on her. The memories of youth are very similar and I feel so much at home , just as if I  was back in Sneck.

What are the prices for a 3 bedroom detached house in good condition chaps? Saw some good looking ones  up at IHE's old haunts at Ness  Castle. Are they any good?

Talking about castle Ness I didn't even know it existed for goodness sake. Does anyone know it's history?

Where exactly is it?  IHE can you show me it's location on a map?  Ta Buckets.

Demolished about 3 months ago just open space now, I started my job just across the road 40 years ago!

Do you mean washing cars at IMO or washing dishes in Lorimers?:lol:

No Charles across Burnett Road where the Police Station is now!  Can you remember what was there?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not a baker but Roddy Wood worked in Burnetts which was taken over by British Bakeries from leaving school till he retired.  He was an officer in the Army Cadets but where was this photo taken?

1974Sirhill&rwood014.jpg

Not a baker but Roddy Wood worked in Burnetts which was taken over by British Bakeries from leaving school till he retired.  He was an officer in the Army Cadets but where was this photo taken?

1974Sirhill&rwood014.jpg

Church Street, outside The Cummings (now The King's Highway). One possible caption is "Get your hair cut you horrible little cadet!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...