Emergency Board Meeting?

Renegade

I've heard today from a usually reliable source that ICT's disappointment with the SFL decision was all to do with the rejection of the league restructuring proposals (expanded SPL, play offs, fairer distribution of income etc) and most definitely NOT because of what league Rangers were put in. When you actually read the statement with that in mind it makes a lot more sense and seems to stack up. Hopefully we'll get some further clarification after the emergency board meeting.

I'm also quite reassured to see that we had a trialist at Elgin today, which we surely wouldn't have done if we are on the brink of financial meltdown.

After some reflection and conversations in and around Borough Briggs today, I too am happy that Kennys statement was referring to the reconstruction proposals (I believe the ones posted by St Mirren). As a matter of fact, I did not even realise there was anything on the table that would allow reconstruction and The Rangers in Division 3. I have no idea why they were rejected as it still allowed The Rangers into Division 3 and not Division 1. So, I can see why Kenny Cameron is disapointed.

I also believe that we will not be pressing for The Rangers to go back in the SPL / SPL2 and that the board are fully supportive of their admission into Division 3.

However, because the statement was made without public knowledge (well I certainly didn't know) of this league reconstruction idea that still had The Rangers in Division 3 (i.e. it wasn't a bribe) then it makes it very awkward for the club. However, what's done is done and I believe that many others will come to realise soon that Kenny Camerons statement wasn't as bad as we first assumed.

As for the folk asking Kenny Cameron to resign, i'd imagine that this is a board statement, not simply a Kenny Cameron statement. He's a Caley Thistle man and I do not believe that he is back tracking or misleading fans. Bottom line, the statement was regarding league reconstruction and NOT the league that The Rangers will be playing in.

• Agree 3

Capital Caley, IF that is correct then I am heartened. But if so, then also the club needs to make that clear and public. Then again, of course, Sevco should still have joined the queue behind Spartans and the like. 0:)

As I have alluded to on the previous page the "excuse" is acceptable to US. The only difference is that it will undoubtedly be viewed by many as an "afterthought way out" and to me the statement is no longer deplorable but is pathetic. OF COURSE IT IS A BOARD STATEMENT AND THERE ARE THE USUAL GANG OF MUPPET COWARDS SITTING BACK AND LETTING POOR KENNY CAMERON TAKE THE BLAME AND THE FECKIN FLAK. Ferben is probably correct that they are all enjoying the Golf Hospitality too much to get off their fat greedy erses and take some of the flak themselves.

I understand Kenny's frustration at the fact that the reconstruction plans have not gone through.

However you only have to look at the statements coming out of clubs like Clyde, Annan, Raith and Ayr to see that reconstruction was only going to happen IF they stuck Rangers in div one...and the proposal was simply for some sort of working committee to discuss it and come up with a plan by November. Unsurprisingly the SFL clubs didn't trust Regan, Doncaster et al one inch, especially when they were effectively told 'if you don't agree, we'll form SPL2 and let you lot wither and die". These clubs should be applauded for not responding to threats and bullying, not criticized for refusing to kowtow.

Of course, the SFL clubs would still be quite up for reconstruction...but how come it isn't an option unless the Newco get preferential treatment? I'd quite like Kenny and the other SPL chairmen to explain that.

• Agree 3

Reconstruction, expanded leagues etc would mean a watering down of money from the current SPL. If Rangers were in Division One, it's one they could bear for a bit of security. Watering down money from the SPL with half of the members in dire financial trouble isn't going to happen. That was obviously the deal. If the SFL wants clubs to stand on their own two feet, then they'll have to manage without being reliant on (increased) payments from the SPL.

There's no way now the SPL will be able to be more equitable (if a club that gets thousands of supporters propping up a club that barely gets a couple of hundred is equitable). It's the SFL that will struggle badly in this. Killie, Motherwell, ICT etc have no money to share and the SFL haven't been self-reliant for decades. Where will Stranraer or Alloa get their money from now that the SPL has none to spare? Not from their supporters, that's for sure.

The SFL wanted financial fair play. Well, it starts in Ochilview, Methil and the other part-timers of a bygone era, How long before they are living beyond their means and asking for club saving donations when the SPL shuts up shop?

These clubs should be applauded for not responding to threats and bullying, not criticized for refusing to kowtow.

Of course, the SFL clubs would still be quite up for reconstruction...but how come it isn't an option unless the Newco get preferential treatment? I'd quite like Kenny and the other SPL chairmen to explain that.

Absolutely spot on.

These clubs should be applauded for not responding to threats and bullying, not criticized for refusing to kowtow.

Absolutely spot on.

Why, thank you sir.

The way Sky / ESPN cash is talked about so much in a lot of todays papers you would honestly think that the clubs would be happy to keep the TV money pouring in and play games without any fans.

With respect, that statement is ridiculous.

Media contracts are the difference between professional leagues and amateur leagues. It is not just the TV cash that goes without a media contract. league sponsorship, clubs sponsorships are also heavilly affected.

It is a matter of finding a balance between the requirements of TV and the best interests of football. The problem is that SPL has sold it as a Rangers/Celtic product instead of an SPL product.

Absolutely spot on.

Why, thank you sir.

Although I believe I answered the question above. Would you share your wages if you were struggling with bankruptcy?

Edited by starchief

Stewart Gilmour St Mirren chairman saying 5 clubs could go bust in weeks, one of which is ICT (Daily Record, 15th July)

Nice of him to name ICT (wonder how he came up with ICT along with them, Dun.Utd, Killie and Well.) So is that on the EGM agenda? Going into administration?

SKY and ESPN are being blamed, despite not one scrap of information of their intentions in the public domain. They are the playing bogeymen role in this farce obviously.

SPL2 being sold as a choice between it or administration. ICT now have to reply to that statement, as any business who has been slandered by another would.

Edited by Kirishima

First off. In order to go into administration a company needs to be in debt. As far as I am aware we are not in debt. Secondly, are people going to continue telling lies. The current TV deal covers this coming season and nobody has said that the final payment will not be honoured.

If clubs fold then the people to blame are the ones who agreed sponsorship deals with strings. That is the bottom line. The board of the SPL at the time mucked up big time in that one.

Reading between the lines of what isbeing said by SPL Chairman and SFL Chairman it looks like they have all been led a merry dance by the three stooges that are Longmuir, Regan and Doncaster.

SPL Chairmen seem unaware that the proposals for merger and reform were put to the SFL clubs with conditions attaching but the SFL chairmen saying they were.

Given the content of the emails that were leaked to the channel 4 guy it would appear that the three stooges were the ones trying to play clever games and it has backfired on the whole of scottish football.

Time for fans of all clubs of all leagues to demand the removal of these clowns.

First off. In order to go into administration a company needs to be in debt. As far as I am aware we are not in debt. Secondly, are people going to continue telling lies. The current TV deal covers this coming season and nobody has said that the final payment will not be honoured.

If clubs fold then the people to blame are the ones who agreed sponsorship deals with strings. That is the bottom line. The board of the SPL at the time mucked up big time in that one.

It's a total Myth that you need to be in debt to go into administration. In fact, administrations has nothing whatsoever to do with being in debt, it comes from a position of not being able to meet your liabilities and ongoing operating costs which, in the case of football clubs, is largely player wages.

• Agree 2

Stewart Gilmour St Mirren chairman saying 5 clubs could go bust in weeks, one of which is ICT (Daily Record, 15th July)

Nice of him to name ICT (wonder how he came up with ICT along with them, Dun.Utd, Killie and Well.) So is that on the EGM agenda? Going into administration?

SKY and ESPN are being blamed, despite not one scrap of information of their intentions in the public domain. They are the playing bogeymen role in this farce obviously.

SPL2 being sold as a choice between it or administration. ICT now have to reply to that statement, as any business who has been slandered by another would.

Again the Press seem to be pushing the "It's because NewCo were put to Div 3" line when that's not what Gilmour has said. He has said the same as Kenny Cameron...it's the rejection of the proposals for reform that are threatening the game.

• Agree 1

I don't understand why this is the only chance for reconstruction, Rangers at the moment (probably only till next week) but at the moment are in Division 3. If that stays as it is, they will have 3 years and ample opportunity to change things for the better and fairly for the game. Chairmen and clubs seems to be caught up in the immediate financial situation surrounding Rangers and not looking at the bigger picture. If the SPL chairmen including our own are angry at anyone, it should be themselves. They shouldn't have been so silly to suggest a league reconstruction vote on the same day the SFL clubs were taking a vote on the extremely emotional issue of Rangers. I don't know about anyone else but the reconstruction bit seemed just to be tacked on to the end of the Rangers vote and was barley discussed before the vote. So there is plenty of time for this to be discussed.

If all the clubs pull together and help each other, the game can survive and not only survive but prosper.

Edited by Sir C the 3rd
  • Agree 1

In public. I suspect the clubs might know a little more about the situation, hence the panic. The 'down to division one' I'm sure wasn't based on a dream.

That'll ease the pain when you're talking to some youngsters about the time when Inverness once had a professional team.

I don't understand why this is the only chance for reconstruction, Rangers at the moment (probably only till next week) but at the moment are in Division 3. If that stays as it is, they will have 3 years and ample opportunity to change things for the better and fairly for the game. Chairmen and clubs seems to be caught up in the immediate financial situation surrounding Rangers and not looking at the bigger picture. If the SPL chairmen including our own are angry at anyone, it should be themselves. They shouldn't have been so silly to suggest a league reconstruction vote on the same day the SFL clubs were taking a vote on the extremely emotional issue of Rangers. I don't know about anyone else but the reconstruction bit seemed just to be tacked on to the end of the Rangers vote and was barley discussed before the vote. So there is plenty of time for this to be discussed.

If all the clubs pull together and help each other, the game can survive and not only survive but prosper.

I've said this on another thread:

- reconstruction and sharing out the money to the current SFL clubs means less money to clubs in the current SPL

- the SPL clubs would make that sacrifice if the money was largely the same, i.e. a compromise

- the money, according to the chairmen, will not be the same

- being near bankruptcy, the SPL will have no intention of sharing this money with the SFL

I really don't understand why this is so difficult to grasp.

The situation is such a mess i don't think anybody, including experts like ourselves know exactly whats going on. I can't imagine anything is set in stone at the moment, who's playing in what league isn't decided and we're kicking off in 3 weeks, so i'm sure the finer points of money distribution and tv deals aren't known. I'm sure everything will be discussed and negotiated over the coming weeks and months with all parties.

I don't know why thats so difficult to grasp also!

Edited by Sir C the 3rd

Media contracts are the difference between professional leagues and amateur leagues. It is not just the TV cash that goes without a media contract. league sponsorship, clubs sponsorships are also heavilly affected.

It is a matter of finding a balance between the requirements of TV and the best interests of football. The problem is that SPL has sold it as a Rangers/Celtic product instead of an SPL product.

It may have been exaggerated in terms of it's meaning but I feel more and more these days that clubs are all about getting as much money from TV deals etc. rather than getting fans through the door which, ultimately, should be one of the main sources of income for a club. The talk is all about TV deals and not much to do with supporters.

As I say, perhaps an exaggerated statement but one that I feel is applicable to the way Scottish football is heading.

Edited by RiG

the current TV deal covers this coming season.

According to the SPL the expiring TV deal was conditional upon 4 old firm derbies a season so there is no TV deal as things currently stand.

And doesn't this just illustrate the sheer incompetence of people running the game in this country! How on earth do the powers that be get away with negotiating a contract that is dependent on 2 particular teams both being in the top 6 for four consecutive seasons? An interesting scenario would have been if there was an old firm game immediately before the split with Rangers needing to win to get a top 6 slot. Would Celtic have thrown the game in order to ensure the TV contract was not invalidated? This just illustrates that we must have change.

It may have been extended in terms of it's meaning but I feel more and more these days that clubs are all about getting as much money from TV deals etc. rather than getting fans through the door which, ultimately, should be one of the main sources of income for a club. The talk is all about TV deals and not much to do with supporters.

As I say, perhaps an exaggerated statement but one that I feel is applicable to the way Scottish football is heading.

There is a strong link between good TV contracts and increased attendance at games. There is no serious professional sport that has suffered a reduction in game day attendance because of TV. There is no better indication of the strength of a league/competition/sport than it's ability to attract good braodcast deals.