Lets go controversial !

Now please, please do NOT feel that this is a fishing trip or an insinnuation or a derrogatory statement - I am actually being serious.

I have just watched the Clark Carlisle programme on Racism and I have been saddened and actually shocked at its content.

But could WE at the present time be considered to be a racist club by some inedpendent observers ?

Do we actually have any black, Asian or other "coloured" personnel working within our club ? Do Ross County ?

The content of the documentary really got me thinking and how many clubs in Scotland could be branded with the "racism" branding.

As many of you will know my son is mixed race and some of the "comments" that we heard at the recent Chorley v Preston match were quite simply concerning although we both could view them as just being ignorance - eg "Yon Preston nigger on the wing looks good" - "makes our nigger look like a real African" - cue laughter !!

i dont think we could be accused of being a racist club. We have had players of all colours and creeds over the years and I have only ever heard one racist comment at the TCS and that was an anti english comment. The fellow that uttered it was jumped on from all sides and I was quite proud that folk sorted him out.

As for coaches etc well I think, as the programme highlighted, there is a lack of ethnic minority coaches all over the game not just in Scotland.

I wouldnt say our club was racist. I would, however, say that there are racist fans especially when it comes to our neighbours across the bridge. Quite a few will jump on someone who uses nigger or paki or whatever in a descriptive sense yet those same people will quite openly use Gypo or Pikey.

I wouldnt say our club was racist. I would, however, say that there are racist fans especially when it comes to our neighbours across the bridge. Quite a few will jump on someone who uses nigger or paki or whatever in a descriptive sense yet those same people will quite openly use Gypo or Pikey.

Way too many sensitive souls in the world these days.

• Agree 1

I think this whole racism business has got way out of hand. Most of it is just 'playground' stuff and in many cases a 'non event'.

The True definition of Racism, is Holding a belief that a race is Inferior to another. How the hell is calling the great unwashed over the bridge Gypos insinuating that they are in anyway inferior.

Nope...sadly...we live in a time where people look for things to create a fuss over needlessley. Look at that latest Go Compare ad....it had a few hundered people complain about it. I have one thing to say to such crettins...get a fooking life!

What i dont get is....i can call someone a pr1ck and nothing is said. Call them an English pr1ck and all of a sudden its viewed as racist. Well, apart from anything else...english are of the same race as Scots...so how can it be racist? Im sick of all the moaners with nothing better to do than get offended at any little thing

What i dont get is....i can call someone a pr1ck and nothing is said. Call them an English pr1ck and all of a sudden its viewed as racist. Well, apart from anything else...english are of the same race as Scots...so how can it be racist? Im sick of all the moaners with nothing better to do than get offended at any little thing

That's what the poster Bridge and Castle got banned for. All he did was call Butcher English and someone got offended!

Edited by Renegade

The reason we have no coloured players this season is that those who were offerred contracts decided not to accept them.

But I agree with others here that a lot of what is perceived by the politically correct brigade as racist is simply banter and there is nothing malicious about it. Skin colour is simply a visible characteristic in the same way as height or weight or hair colour. However, if you make a comment about a person and make reference to their skin colour it is somehow deemed as a racist remark but make the same comment about another person in the same situation and make reference to hair colour then that is fine. There will be those who will acuse folk who called Claude Gnapka lazy as being racist by picking on him, but in reality they picked on him for being lazy because he was lazy and not because he was black and lazy.

Of course we would be naive to think that racism is a thing of the past and there are still a lot of people in this country who will pick on, abuse and attack poeple simply because of the colour of their skin. That must be awful for the victims and I guess over-sensitises people to innocent banter and leads the PC brigade to over-play their hand. People actually stop treating people equally because the PC brigade, rather perversely, keep banging on about minority rights and draws attentions to the differences rather than what we share in common. By overstating the "rights" of minority groups and finding discrimination where none exists the PC brigade actually create a resentment against the very groups they are theoretically championing.

So to answer the question, no, I don't think the club could be called racist and I've never heard what could be called racist abuse at the TCS. I am sure we would welcome anyone to the club as long as they could play football. It doesn't matter whether they are black, white, yellow, green, red or multicoloured. Anyone will be welcome ......

..... as long as they haven't got a blue nose.

• Agree 1

That's what the poster Bridge and Castle got banned for. All he did was call Butcher English and someone got offended!

Oh tell me about it. Someone complained about me using the term "japs" in a post i made a while back. The thing was, i was busy praising the Japanese in the post and saying how great they were....but no...some miserable sod with no life had to complain. I mean, Why should "Japs" be so offensive yet "Scots" is acceptable?

I think this whole racism business has got way out of hand. Most of it is just 'playground' stuff and in many cases a 'non event'.

The True definition of Racism, is Holding a belief that a race is Inferior to another. How the hell is calling the great unwashed over the bridge Gypos insinuating that they are in anyway inferior.

Nope...sadly...we live in a time where people look for things to create a fuss over needlessley. Look at that latest Go Compare ad....it had a few hundered people complain about it. I have one thing to say to such crettins...get a fooking life!

Are you really that stupid ?

Whats in a name. County are the Gypos to me, and have been since the early 80s....same as Aberdeen are Sheep Shaggers, Celtic are the tims and rangers are the huns. I would only deem it racist...if I held the view that Gypsy community was inferior to my own...which i dont....so take your rabble rousing stunts elsewhere DC!!

Edited by SMEE

Whats in a name. County are the Gypos to me, and have been since the early 80s....same as Aberdeen are Sheep Shaggers, Celtic are the tims and rangers are the huns. I would only deem it racist...if I held the view that Gypsy community was inferior to my own...which i dont....so take your rabble rousing stunts elsewhere DC!!

Not " rabble rousing " in the slightest , you made a blatantly racist comment and then stated you saw nothing wrong in it .

Not " rabble rousing " in the slightest , you made a blatantly racist comment and then stated you saw nothing wrong in it .

Yet my "blatantly racist comment" has remained on the site...unchallenged, except by you...the biggest sh1t stirrer on the site...hmmmmm.

Im secure enuff within myself to know if i hold racist ideologies or not. I will wager you that i have a more racily diverse group of freinds than you do, including asian, chinese...african. And while im at it...i will also state...that i have an admiration and appreciation for other cultures, way more than your average Joe does!

Id say your reaction is more to do with your paranoia and suspiscious nature more than my cultural beliefs!

Edited by SMEE

• 6 months later...

Now please, please do NOT feel that this is a fishing trip or an insinnuation or a derrogatory statement - I am actually being serious.

I have just watched the Clark Carlisle programme on Racism and I have been saddened and actually shocked at its content.

But could WE at the present time be considered to be a racist club by some inedpendent observers ?

Do we actually have any black, Asian or other "coloured" personnel working within our club ? Do Ross County ?

The content of the documentary really got me thinking and how many clubs in Scotland could be branded with the "racism" branding.

As many of you will know my son is mixed race and some of the "comments" that we heard at the recent Chorley v Preston match were quite simply concerning although we both could view them as just being ignorance - eg "Yon Preston nigger on the wing looks good" - "makes our nigger look like a real African" - cue laughter !!

It is a few years ago now but I have never forgotten the Chorley v Bury cup tie , which was a giant killing feat by Chorley

The story goes that the Bury centre backs were missing  from the line up, and Tony Cunningham the Shakers normal centre forward who is black played centre half, Bury also had Ronnie Mauge and Roger Stanislaus also black in the team. At the time Bury were steaming high in what is now League one and Chorley played in the Northern Premier League.

I couldn't get a ticket for the away end so I stood behind the goal at the home end. I was surrounded with calls of " Shoot the nigger" , and similar chants for the whole match. In fairness to Chorley I think they were Preston fans , because Preston were not playing that day.

I mentioned the problem to a policeman at half time, but he took no action, in those days racism did not have the high profile it carries today. I must admit I felt sick, not just with the unexpected result but with the behaviour of the fans. Tony cunningham a former Man City star looked positivly distressed and upset.

I am not surprised this kind of behaviour is still prominent in what is otherwise a very desirable and friendly area of Lancashire. I know very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Was it absolutely necessary to rake up this thread after it being dormant for so long or is it just another one suited to your s**tstirring nature.

:lol:   :lol:           

(Raked up by Alex Macleod after being dormant for nearly 3 weeks!!!!)

Edited by CaleyT

Was it absolutely necessary to rake up this thread after it being dormant for so long or is it just another one suited to your s**tstirring nature.

I can agree that it wasn't absolutely necessary

But what is absolutely necessary?

I thought the idea of this forum was to talk about things that interest us

If we are to be restriced to absolutely nessary, we might as well all give up.