Wick away

WYNESS101

IHE I got that game on DVD a couple of years back and watched it through. I agree with most of it- it was a right open game with good quick passing (considering it was the world champs you would expect that) and probably wide open till Scotland went 2 up.

Is that all Gemmell's words or is the first bit by you or somebody else?

My uncle was pally with Gemmell and they went on holiday together.

Of course the games of yesteryear were played at snails pace. The yoof of today wouldn't ever have experienced how far a lace up leather ball with internal bladder could travel. Bloody thing weighed about a hundred pound and travelled through the air at a speed of one mile a day. And if you were unlucky enough to have the lace next to your napper as the ball was headed it hurt.

Aye IHE --and it was called a "number 5 football. and it was made of solid leather.

Goodness only knows how the players could get that ball off the ground on a rainy day, let alone send in a nice, high, curvy "bend it like Beckham" high one into the goalmouth..eh?

Yes, you are right about the lace. Get a high one coming down at you , all rain-sleeked an' all, and belt you on the forehead with the lace was enough to put you off yer tea , so it wuz?

Now the balls seem to be so light that even goalies can score. :lol:

The oldest football still in existence, which is thought to have been made circa 1540, was discovered in the roof of Stirling Castle, Scotland, in 1981. The ball is made of leather (possibly from a deer) and a pig's bladder. It has a diameter of between 14–16 cm (5.5–6.3 in), weighs 125 g (4.4 oz) and is currently on display at the Smith Art Gallery and Museum in Stirling.

Pigs-Bladder-Football-Logo-redblue_lowres.jpg

I understand that Ross County are using this model.

Would it not have saved the club money had they played Nairn County or someone like that? Was there really any need to go all the way up to yokel country?

The game was part of the deal in Shane Sutherland's move from Academy to ICT, which IIRC was re-arranged from last season as it was previously postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

I am sure that you would be the first to complain if one of the central belt teams had fans talking about wasting money coming up to "teuchter country" or similar. Others are trying to widen the appeal of ICT around the Highlands, see the comments in other threads about how RC go beyond Dingwall, and you come out with this.

There are quite a number of ICT fans up here, my Father-in-law and daughter make the near 250 mile round trip every fortnight as season ticket holders, I come along when commitments allow, and this was a nice short trip for us after being down for the Coventry game. I am also trying to sort out a works trip to the Killie game, after persuading the boss that ICT would be a better idea than going to Dingwall, maybe get some more semi regulars, your comments are the sort that might put them off doing that.

• Agree 2

Insult other members, why don't you! :tuttut:

Oh please... You'd love Pie and Bovril!

The game was part of the deal in Shane Sutherland's move from Academy to ICT, which IIRC was re-arranged from last season as it was previously postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Ah I see.

I am sure that you would be the first to complain if one of the central belt teams had fans talking about wasting money coming up to "teuchter country" or similar. Others are trying to widen the appeal of ICT around the Highlands, see the comments in other threads about how RC go beyond Dingwall, and you come out with this.

First of all, money is tight at this time, surely playing a more local team, particularly for a friendly would be less of drain on funds.

And secondly, no I wouldn't. I've spent a lot of time down that way and I can't say any of those comments ever upset me, sticks and stones and all that... Maybe I'm just thicker skinned than everyone else!

, your comments are the sort that might put them off doing that.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Renegade

Would it not have saved the club money had they played Nairn County or someone like that? Was there really any need to go all the way up to yokel country?

I thought we were trying to encourage more support for ICT, dont think that is the way to do it RENEGADE' then again maybe that is how you came about your name ????

You want to try living in this 'yokel country' as you put it it would open your eyes and refresh your brain

(sorry no smileys available)

• Agree 2

I thought we were trying to encourage more support for ICT, dont think that is the way to do it RENEGADE' then again maybe that is how you came about your name ????

Not bashing the idea of encouraging more support, but is there support to be had up there? ICT have been to other places on tour (Orkney for example), do many Orkney folk support ICT?

One would suspect as well, that if Inverness travelled to play Wick, and all the Wickers came out to watch, they'd be supporting Wick, no?

You want to try living in this 'yokel country' as you put it it would open your eyes and refresh your brain

Am I welcome? :ninja:

Honestly, I come out with a little tongue-in-cheek remark about our brothers in the north and now it seems I have the whole area after me!

Edited by Renegade

Not bashing the idea of encouraging more support, but is there support to be had up there? ICT have been to other places on tour (Orkney for example), do many Orkney folk support ICT?

One would suspect as well, that if Inverness travelled to play Wick, and all the Wickers came out to watch, they'd be supporting Wick, no?

Am I welcome? :ninja:

Honestly, I come out with a little tongue-in-cheek remark about our brothers in the north and now it seems I have the whole area after me!

There is a fecking tongue in cheek smilie...here it is for future reference...... :tongueincheek:

What do you class as a Wicker? Somebody who lives in Wick whether they are local or not?

Be aware that everybody living in Caithness does not come from Caithness....or live in Wick. There are loads of incomers/white settlers etc who may well go to watch Wick, if they like attending football matches but do not necessarily support Wick as their first team.

And your kind of snide remarks could make some of us decide not to support ICT as our first team. Yokels!!!!!! gtfo.gif

• Agree 1

:hiding02:

I had no idea northern folk were such a sensitive bunch!

Having an idea about anything would require the ability to think. Can you do that?

Don't mess with Oddquine :firebreath:

Having an idea about anything would require the ability to think. Can you do that?

Coming from someone who completely fails to comprehend (unless it includes :wink::joker::tongueincheek::getmecoat: :clown:) sarcasm, subtlety or nuances in any posts, and therefore flies off the handle, that's pretty rich.

Edited by Caley
  • Agree 1

Coming from someone who completely fails to comprehend (unless it includes :wink::joker::tongueincheek::getmecoat: :clown:) sarcasm, subtlety or nuances in any posts, and therefore flies off the handle, that's pretty rich.

That would be because I can't read minds. Smilies are the way to ensure those who read posts can grasp the nuances we can't read in your minds. I read and respond to what I see...I don't assume that the person writing doesn't mean what he/she says.

Edited by Oddquine