Parking on Stadium Road

CaleyD

Just a heads up as I know we have a few offenders on here.....

Northern Constabulary have advised that parking on either side of Stadium Road is an offence and they may issue fixed penalty tickets to motorists parking on the double yellow lines.

Obviously matchdays are one of the worst times for this, so you're advised to make use of the Stadium Car Park. Personally, I wouldn't even risk parking up on the verge further round on the other side of the bridge and such places either.

What a joke, people parking up on the verge (which I often do) cause no obstruction to traffic or pedestrians. What's the problem? Don't get me started on the chaos trying to leave the car park.

What a joke, people parking up on the verge (which I often do) cause no obstruction to traffic or pedestrians. What's the problem? Don't get me started on the chaos trying to leave the car park.

They certainly cause obstruction to pedestrians who are often forced onto the busy road to walk round cars which have been inconsiderately parked on the verge and what passes as a pavement.

Issue tickets to them too, I say!!

They certainly cause obstruction to pedestrians who are often forced onto the busy road to walk round cars which have been inconsiderately parked on the verge and what passes as a pavement.

Issue tickets to them too, I say!!

Dunno what area u are talking about but the verge on the opposite side (firth side) of the sadium never have any pedestrians near it and with all the bushes etc they'd spend half the time on the road anyway. To say nothing for the nice wide pavement on the stadium side of the road!

The main problem is that is against the law.

Very clever. Let me rephrase for you if it helps, what actual problem is the parking on the verge causing?

• Agree 1

That's irrelevant - it's against the law to park there. No one can have any complaints if they get a ticket for doing so.

There's two car parks to use, plenty of alternative parking nearby (albeit you have a short walk thereafter) and there was (is?) a shuttle bus from the town to the ground. Plenty of ways to get out to the stadium.

Edited by RiG

Just to highlight....it was I who suggested giving the verge a miss, just to be on the safe side. https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q655.htm

If you want to know "What the actual problem is" then you'll need to contact the police. The club are merely passing on a notice given to them to it's customers (which is good customer service on their part) so don't shoot the messenger.

Very clever. Let me rephrase for you if it helps, what actual problem is the parking on the verge causing?

Perhaps if you consider other people a bit more you might understand, I'm not having a dig at you personally, but I take my dad out in his wheelchair and selfish inconsiderate people cause me to bump an 83yr old extremely sick man down a high pavement onto a road to get past and then risk being hit by cars driving too close to us. I then have to try and bump him back up. It's not pleasant and can be a bit scary ( I've nearly tipped him out twice). When my kids were young we had to take them in a double buggy, that was worse. If everybody was a bit more considerate and abided by the law then the world would be a bit nicer place to live in. Pavements are for people not cars or bikes, People double park in my street all the time and if you're in a car you can squeeze by but risk scratching/loosing your mirrors. We have been lucky so far in that nobody has had a house fire as there is no way a fire engine could get through when the streets full, in fact I think an ambulance may also struggle. As I said I'm not having a pop at you but please think about it. Your actions have a knock on effect on other people and think how you would feel if a kid got killed crossing the road coz a driver couldn't see them for your illegally parked/abandoned car.

• Agree 1

Something that not many people seem to know or choose to ignore. Pavement's are not built to take vehicle weights. Many pavements have utility services a foot or two below them. If you drive onto the pavement and as a result damage was done to any of those services then you could find yourself forking out for the repair costs.

That's irrelevant - it's against the law to park there. No one can have any complaints if they get a ticket for doing so.

There's two car parks to use, plenty of alternative parking nearby (albeit you have a short walk thereafter) and there was (is?) a shuttle bus from the town to the ground. Plenty of ways to get out to the stadium.

Indeed, my point is that surely we can ask for some common sense to be applyed to the situation (which is what we ask of refs all the time) as the vehicles I'm talking about are causing no danger to or disruption to traffic flow or pedestrians. So could some common sense be used and say fair enough these guys are harming anyone, it's for one afternoon every 2 weeks whats the downside? If people are parking on pavements or on the road causing a blockage fair enough ticket them, I've got no issue with that. Seems the police have no problem with church goers parking every which way on a Sunday around the Haugh Rd, Riverside area, could the same leniency not be shown to footie fans?

Just to highlight....it was I who suggested giving the verge a miss, just to be on the safe side. https://www.askthe.p...ontent/Q655.htm

If you want to know "What the actual problem is" then you'll need to contact the police. The club are merely passing on a notice given to them to it's customers (which is good customer service on their part) so don't shoot the messenger.

Not having a go at you Don, nor the club as it's obviously nowt to do with them. I might contact the Polis for some Neil Lennon style 'clarification'! Dispite the fact that I'll probably not be driving to many games. Now I'm without the missus for the games as I plan to get drinks in at 'The Club' then get the supporters taxi with some of the other guys down to the stadium!

Perhaps if you consider other people a bit more you might understand, I'm not having a dig at you personally, but I take my dad out in his wheelchair and selfish inconsiderate people cause me to bump an 83yr old extremely sick man down a high pavement onto a road to get past and then risk being hit by cars driving too close to us. I then have to try and bump him back up. It's not pleasant and can be a bit scary ( I've nearly tipped him out twice). When my kids were young we had to take them in a double buggy, that was worse. If everybody was a bit more considerate and abided by the law then the world would be a bit nicer place to live in. Pavements are for people not cars or bikes, People double park in my street all the time and if you're in a car you can squeeze by but risk scratching/loosing your mirrors. We have been lucky so far in that nobody has had a house fire as there is no way a fire engine could get through when the streets full, in fact I think an ambulance may also struggle. As I said I'm not having a pop at you but please think about it. Your actions have a knock on effect on other people and think how you would feel if a kid got killed crossing the road coz a driver couldn't see them for your illegally parked/abandoned car.

You are having a bit of a dig at me, at least be honest lol. However I think you are misunderstanding me, where have I said it's OK for cars to park on a pavement / pedestrian area or should have carte blanche to park wherever? As you can see from what I've said above I don't condone that nor parking on double yellows on the road itself which would disrupt the flow of traffic. I have a wee one and we're often out in the buggy so I totally agree.The area I'm taking about very specifically is a rough grassy verge with brachen/bushes in places on the opposite side of the road from the stadium. Someone would have to be very daft indeed to walk accross the street from the stadium and where there is a nice wide pavement to walk down that, more so if they had someone in a wheelchair or a buggy etc. Hope this clears that up

Some people on here need to kerb their attitudes! :wink:

It's driving me mental.

So The Industrial Estate next to the stadium will be Jam Packed with Celtic supporters cars on their visit

That's if anybody tells them parking is not allowed by the roadside

Surely one side of the road is OK

I park in the City Centre near the bus station and go in with my bus pass. I find getting out of the car park a nightmare.

Indeed, my point is that surely we can ask for some common sense to be applyed to the situation (which is what we ask of refs all the time) as the vehicles I'm talking about are causing no danger to or disruption to traffic flow or pedestrians. So could some common sense be used and say fair enough these guys are harming anyone, it's for one afternoon every 2 weeks whats the downside? If people are parking on pavements or on the road causing a blockage fair enough ticket them, I've got no issue with that. Seems the police have no problem with church goers parking every which way on a Sunday around the Haugh Rd, Riverside area, could the same leniency not be shown to footie fans?

Just to highlight....it was I who suggested giving the verge a miss, just to be on the safe side. https://www.askthe.p...ontent/Q655.htm

Not having a go at you Don, nor the club as it's obviously nowt to do with them. I might contact the Polis for some Neil Lennon style 'clarification'! Dispite the fact that I'll probably not be driving to many games. Now I'm without the missus for the games as I plan to get drinks in at 'The Club' then get the supporters taxi with some of the other guys down to the stadium!

You are having a bit of a dig at me, at least be honest lol. However I think you are misunderstanding me, where have I said it's OK for cars to park on a pavement / pedestrian area or should have carte blanche to park wherever? As you can see from what I've said above I don't condone that nor parking on double yellows on the road itself which would disrupt the flow of traffic. I have a wee one and we're often out in the buggy so I totally agree.The area I'm taking about very specifically is a rough grassy verge with brachen/bushes in places on the opposite side of the road from the stadium. Someone would have to be very daft indeed to walk accross the street from the stadium and where there is a nice wide pavement to walk down that, more so if they had someone in a wheelchair or a buggy etc. Hope this clears that up

It's driving me mental.

Perhaps I was having a bit of a dig at you. I'm a considerate person and hate when other people, through choice or copying other people, do something that causes major annoyance, let me give you an example, On Mon I had to take my dad to the hosp and parked legally in the disabled spaces. When we came out somebody had parked their car in front of my car and the car next to mine and blocked us in. I couldn't go forwards, sideways or backwards and it took 20 mins to get the *** to come out and move their car. His attitude was something to behold, how ferkin dare I inconvenience him etc. He doesn't know how lucky he is that there are cctv cameras and a security man who did nothing to help but stood nearby watching. I was ready to punch lumps out of him, not the security man. You may think I'm overreacting but there were loads of spaces nearby, the lazy git couldn't be arsed walking so abandoned his car in front of mine so he could be close to the entrance. No wonder he was well overweight. His parents must be so proud of him.

That's prob the reason why I maybe overreacted a touch to you posts but the way you had written them made me respond. I don't usually get involved or contribute much, as you can tell by my post count.

• Agree 1

It's driving me mental.

Perhaps I was having a bit of a dig at you. I'm a considerate person and hate when other people, through choice or copying other people, do something that causes major annoyance, let me give you an example, On Mon I had to take my dad to the hosp and parked legally in the disabled spaces. When we came out somebody had parked their car in front of my car and the car next to mine and blocked us in. I couldn't go forwards, sideways or backwards and it took 20 mins to get the *** to come out and move their car. His attitude was something to behold, how ferkin dare I inconvenience him etc. He doesn't know how lucky he is that there are cctv cameras and a security man who did nothing to help but stood nearby watching. I was ready to punch lumps out of him, not the security man. You may think I'm overreacting but there were loads of spaces nearby, the lazy git couldn't be arsed walking so abandoned his car in front of mine so he could be close to the entrance. No wonder he was well overweight. His parents must be so proud of him.

That's prob the reason why I maybe overreacted a touch to you posts but the way you had written them made me respond. I don't usually get involved or contribute much, as you can tell by my post count.

You're quite right to say your piece that's what a forum is for and I don't disagree with what you say. But you seemed to think I was saying something that I clearly wasn't.

You're right on my fecking wavelength there bigjohn. I hate the way some people think that rules are for others to obey and don't apply to them.

Witness the boy racers parking their gaudy pieces of sh1t in a disabled/parent & child space as close to the supermarket as possible. Grrr...

You should get involved more as you seem to speak a lot of sense!

We live in a parliamentary democracy with laws being made by the people for the people. If you don't like a law there are ways of lobbying to get the law changed. Some laws are stupid because sometimes we elect stupid people to parliament. Some people think some laws are stupid but fail to understand the rationalle for that law. But love 'em or hate 'em laws are laws and there are penalties for breaking them. If you knowingly break a law which you don't happen to like then you can really have no complaint if you receive that penalty. :rules:

From the Highway Code:-

You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs.

[Law GL(GP)A sect 15]

• Agree 1