Royal Mail

Laurence

As someone who has a contract with Royal Mail which is worth over £12,000 a year, I am concerned on two counts

1) Is the proposed privitisation of the Royal Mail

I am told it may be bought by UPS or German Post

This may have serious consequences for the Highlands and other parts of Scotland because red vans covering many miles to deliver letters does not seem to be economical

Anyway as Royal Mail has a contract with the UK it may be hard for that aspect to change.

2) Indepenence - a yes vote will be very serious for users of the Royal mail

I have asked everybody ( I can ) how Royal Mail in Scotland will be affected

The best I can come up with is every bit of post to England Wales etc will be treated as overseas, and will have to go Airmail rates, even if you live in Gretna and are writing to Carlisle.

That is the best case scenario

If Royal leg it out of Scotland and it is privitised and sold off , Highland post will cease on a daily basis, maybe a weekly trip will follow. This is the case in Canada, which used to be Royal Mail.

The above may have an affect on the Post Offices throughout The Highlands, I don't know.

But it may

My mail order business needs a pick up at least 3 times a week. I could use UPS but that is very expensive -

Watch out you yes voters.

post stuff abroad and to england and local adresses. Find they arrive on the same day usually, especially Danish and Scandanavian countries similar to Scotland, and it doesnt go by airmail. Post with the Royal Mail to Inverness is crap, used to work for a national company, and post from London and Edinburgh and Dundee to Inverness always took a day longer than to the rest of my team based around the Highlands.

Maybe it will be a good thing Royal Mail, UPS or German Post may be better. Never heard complaints about German Post and have relatives in Germany and Denmark.

• Agree 1

Didn't realize that scaremongering was a business.

Though Canada is a good comparison, given how similar the countries are in terms of size, etc.

Scaremongering you are dead right I am scared of losing £100 a week. So you would be

Why is it every time the No campaign put up an argument the yes campaigners bawl "Scaremongering".. Change the record.?

post stuff abroad and to england and local adresses. Find they arrive on the same day usually, especially Danish and Scandanavian countries similar to Scotland, and it doesnt go by airmail. Post with the Royal Mail to Inverness is crap, used to work for a national company, and post from London and Edinburgh and Dundee to Inverness always took a day longer than to the rest of my team based around the Highlands.

Maybe it will be a good thing Royal Mail, UPS or German Post may be better. Never heard complaints about German Post and have relatives in Germany and Denmark.

I post 10 to 20 parcels aday

I know what I am talking about

I am talking about a loss of Income not speed

Once again the yes campaign put up a crap argument

Edited by Laurence

Read my post you lot before shooting me down, this is a serious , if the Royal mail goes it will cost mail order business' like mine a lot of money. All mail from Scotland outside of Scotland and visa versa . will cost a lot more. Post Offices will close, and a lot of mail men will lose their jobs. If you buy from Amazon or any other mail order supplier in Engalnd you will pay a lot more and wait a lot longer. It is bad enough now if you mention the Higlands but because Scotland is in thee UK we get the parcels. Wait and see how this will change, my guess is a lot. Just because Salmond has brain washed you lot dosn't mean you can't think

Read my post you lot before shooting me down, this is a serious , if the Royal mail goes it will cost mail order business' like mine a lot of money. All mail from Scotland outside of Scotland and visa versa . will cost a lot more. Post Offices will close, and a lot of mail men will lose their jobs. If you buy from Amazon or any other mail order supplier in Engalnd you will pay a lot more and wait a lot longer. It is bad enough now if you mention the Higlands but because Scotland is in thee UK we get the parcels. Wait and see how this will change, my guess is a lot. Just because Salmond has brain washed you lot dosn't mean you can't think

It's nice that you're the only one on here intelligent enough to not be brainwashed by anyone, though maybe "us lot" think there are more important issues at stake than changes to an already flawed postal system.

Surely if there are any problems a dynamic entrepreneur would be able to get round them?

Great thing is too that if we are unhappy with the place we live in we can always relocate to another place where things are more to our liking, and they charge a few pence less for sending letters.

• Agree 1

Run the stranger out of town syndrome , How very cowboyish

I won't need to employ my business skills if we don't get a rubbish yes vote.

Will I?

Getting back over £100 a week won't be easy.

What are these important issues other than pumping the parish water supply.

Edited by Laurence

You keep mentioning this £100 a week but you fail to inform us how your going to lose it. If the Royal mail is privatised then its the Westminster government that will be overseeing that. As for mail itself, and especially parcels, there are a number of courier companies in the country doing good business at rates equal to or better than Royal mail. Even Parcelforce, a Royal mail company, undercuts the post office.

I must say though Laurence you have a great way of using any current affairs subject to get on your anti separation soapbox. Perhaps you could be an opposition spin doctor. But no that wouldn't do. You wouldn't be allowed to show your selfish side.

I will lose it in two ways

One because all my parcels to the rump UK will be more expensive

Two because my books will be more expensive to buy because Amazon ( my main website ) will ask the buyer to pay Airmail fees

Since the beginning of August I have sold 73 books - I have not checked how many are non Scotland but say at least 40 habve gone to England and wales , on current Royal mail rates I will have to pay over £2.00 more in shipping fees

This is based on the Royal Mail staying in Scotland.

If Independece scares the Royal Mail off or an Indepent carrier gets the Scottish contract I feel the amount will be nearer £200 a week , these are just ball park figures, Yes I am scared, it is like buying an ICT season ticket every two weeks. Remember I sell a lot more around Christmas.

Laurence, I dont really think that being part of the union will have any relevance on whether the London government will decide to stop the privitisation plans. Problem for the Royal Mail is the success of its competition, one of which we are using to communicate. With the advancement of mobiles, text and e-mails, it has long signaled the beginning of the end for this old landmark institution, much much more than some peoples dream of independence.

I will lose it in two ways

One because all my parcels to the rump UK will be more expensive

Two because my books will be more expensive to buy because Amazon ( my main website ) will ask the buyer to pay Airmail fees

Since the beginning of August I have sold 73 books - I have not checked how many are non Scotland but say at least 40 habve gone to England and wales , on current Royal mail rates I will have to pay over £2.00 more in shipping fees

This is based on the Royal Mail staying in Scotland.

If Independece scares the Royal Mail off or an Indepent carrier gets the Scottish contract I feel the amount will be nearer £200 a week , these are just ball park figures, Yes I am scared, it is like buying an ICT season ticket every two weeks. Remember I sell a lot more around Christmas.

Pass on the extra postal fees, if there are any, to your customers. Your competitors will no doubt face the same price hikes as you, so will be faced with similar decisions.

Failing that, absorb the extra charges into your product prices, or spread the increase between the postage and product price rises. So ye can still make your millions and continue to live in Jockland and brighten up everyone's day.

Am no Donald Trump, but c'mon TF Laurence, you're the entrepreneur here.

Edited by dougiedanger
  • Agree 1

Why the scaremongering any way, If the Royal Mail is sold off and the business of sending letters, and goods to each other ends, then its the same for everyone. Think of all your competitors in England and Wales who are slashing their wrists right now as all they can think off is this air mail fee they will have to pay for their books to be sent over the border. Time to dominate the scottish market my dear man, concentrate on the opportunities that no Royal Mail will deliver ( no pun intended ).

Independence may be the pot of gold you have been waiting on. If it were to ever happen, it will create countless opportunities for people living in Scotland, as all those British companies based elsewhere in the UK will just not have a business or any trade left in Scotland, you could be the new big fish. I can just see it, your new book, Scamazon - how I made my millions, by Laurence

• Agree 1

Out of all the examples of potential additional costs which my business may incur, I have to say that this is not siting near the top. Of course, the additional costs which independence may bring may actually be offset by lower taxation (though neither side has yet provided any robust figures to provide certainty regarding the fiscal position for an independent country).

As we are talking about the Royal Mail, all that I would say is that under the current public system things are not exactly rosy. As a company, we now do not rely upon the Royal Mail for important deliveries (other than Special Mail) as we are finding that too many letters and packages are going missing.

In any event for most businesses, the volume of mail in reducing and this is the root cause behind all the issues with reducing incomes and out dated methods of sorting, etc putting pressure on the ability to balance the books. In reality, irrespective of independence, the Royal Main will have to change to reflect the changing pattern of work. I somehow don't see independence impacting on this fact in any real way.

I would be more concerned with the consistency of service than the cost.

Right now, I can post stuff from Canada to UK and it will arrive in a timespan of 3 - 30 days !!!! Seems when I post early, they tend to arrive early, and if/when I post at last minute, they take forever. Recently posted a bunch of stuff to relatives. All packages same size, shape, weight, all posted at same post office, all with correct postage, all in same size envelopes etc..... most got it in about a week, for one it took 3 weeks ! and thats not the first time.... I kind of expect that at Xmas, but not in an 'off-peak' time period.

If independence were to happen, and if services were separated or sold off then any decent mail/letter/parcel carriers would hopefully adopt a more North American approach ..... I am not saying that is better in any way, but stuff posted in Canada/USA is pretty much 'domestic' regardless of whether sent via Fedex, UPS, Canada Post or US Parcel service with rates to match. Of course you can pay extra for 'expedited' service, registered mail etc, but normal mail is similar cost within Canada and to the USA. The only thing on top of your postage/parcel fees are 'customs fees' imposed by US/Canada Customs on some, but not all, parcels (and rarely letters). these are fairly incalculable by sender/receiver although some delivery companies do charge a little bit more on the bottom line to cover that and absorb any difference.

Besides ... we already have a two tier system do we not ? The UK mainland seems to stop at Perth for some delivery/courier companies with people being charged extra to send/receive in Inverness or wider Highland region.

Incidentally ... to correct a bit of a falsehood in the initial post, I do receive a mail delivery from Canada Post every day except Sat/Sun and that is repeated in virtually every urban area within the country. Given that the latest census noted that 81% of Canada's population lived in urban areas and that 35% of the population lived in either Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal, most people are well served. It is true to say that rural deliveries (to places with populations lower than 1000), or deliveries to places that may be accessible only by plane or boat may happen more intermittently, and in some cases the customer may need to pick up from a 'local' post office ... but bear in mind, a rural delivery in Northern Ontario may be 10-12 hours drive from the nearest urban area so its not really comparable !!!! So to say that all of Canada gets only a weekly delivery because we don't have Royal Mail is bogus.

Why the scaremongering any way, If the Royal Mail is sold off and the business of sending letters, and goods to each other ends, then its the same for everyone. Think of all your competitors in England and Wales who are slashing their wrists right now as all they can think off is this air mail fee they will have to pay for their books to be sent over the border. Time to dominate the scottish market my dear man, concentrate on the opportunities that no Royal Mail will deliver ( no pun intended ).

Independence may be the pot of gold you have been waiting on. If it were to ever happen, it will create countless opportunities for people living in Scotland, as all those British companies based elsewhere in the UK will just not have a business or any trade left in Scotland, you could be the new big fish. I can just see it, your new book, Scamazon - how I made my millions, by Laurence

Can a pro separationist not keep saying "scaremongering"

It really grates and it is insulting, to people who are themselves scared of home rule .

It's one of Emperor Salmonds witless battle crys adopted by his cronies to quell arguments, nothing else.

I heard it on TV the other day when an eminent former general of the armed forces , with no axe to grind, was putting a point of view about terrorism and the oil fields. He was defining the role of a new Scottish government, and how the oil fields would have to be kept secure by the navy, and Scotland would be responsible. The only argument against him was the cry of "scaremongering". Not good eneough. The yes campaign have no rational arguments , except the selfish one of grabbing oil revenue. How the yes campaing would cry if the oil was off the English coast, and the English applied for Independence.

Incidently it won't be the same for everyone. Mail order for an Englis seller will atract shipping at a much lower cost, if the letter , or parcel is sent to England. The same parcel coming to Engand from Scotland will be at airmail Eurpean rates. So the book from a scottish seller will be more expensive. So the English buyer will pick the English seller. I lose a sale. Unless of course I take a loss on the price.

Edited by Laurence

Out of all the examples of potential additional costs which my business may incur, I have to say that this is not siting near the top. Of course, the additional costs which independence may bring may actually be offset by lower taxation (though neither side has yet provided any robust figures to provide certainty regarding the fiscal position for an independent country).

As we are talking about the Royal Mail, all that I would say is that under the current public system things are not exactly rosy. As a company, we now do not rely upon the Royal Mail for important deliveries (other than Special Mail) as we are finding that too many letters and packages are going missing.

In any event for most businesses, the volume of mail in reducing and this is the root cause behind all the issues with reducing incomes and out dated methods of sorting, etc putting pressure on the ability to balance the books. In reality, irrespective of independence, the Royal Main will have to change to reflect the changing pattern of work. I somehow don't see independence impacting on this fact in any real way.

After 14 years of shipping using Royal mail I can count on the fingers of one hand the missing deliveries to the UK or anywhere else.

Lower taxation will not happen.

There are 5 million people in Scotland, about 2 million pay Income tax, many of those will pay tax to an English office because their income is generated there, i.e. pensions,

There is no way that 2 million tax payers can finance the budget.

At the moment Scotland get a big fat cheque each year from Whitehall. That is why Scotland can provide services over and above those provided to the English people. That cheque will not arrive after a yes vote goes through.

At the moment the Scottish government is only a glorified County council. It is far more expensive to run the full machinery of government, Scotland will have to be represented in every capital city throughout the world. The salary costs involved in that aspect alone will be enormous. A foreign office will have to be set up, car registration, now done in Wales, will have to be set up. The machinery of tax collection will have to be set up. Banking services , financial services , similar to London will be required. Running a government a proper government will not be easy/

In Southern Ireland I am told wages for public servants like Policemen, Firemen, teaches, are all under what people get paid in the UK

Many of the British military basis throughout Scotland under threat whilst in the UK , will be closed . The British government are not going to worry about Scottish jobs , if their own people need them in Belfast for instance, Military regiments Emperor Salmond has made a big thing about saving, will disappear, if Salmond has to pay the bill. So don't make me laugh with these silly Salmond arguments. The other day Jo Lamont asked Nicola Sturgeon, why was she supporting independence in the Assembly ' The answer was no more illegal wars. How pathetic. If that’s the best she can come up with.

Edited by Laurence

First off this talk of airmail rates for post is absolute garbage. There will always be a mail service so long as there's demand and there will always be trucks of mail driving across the border each night as there is now. The Royal Mail will be a private company long before any independence agreements.

Protecting oilfields from terrorists will continue exactly as it does now. There are no ships patrolling the North sea now and there wont be in the future. Also laurence, in case you didn't know there is oil of the English coast as well as very large gas fields.

Military bases will be maintained in all parts of the UK that are deemed to be strategically sited for the defence of those islands. Have you ever wondered who defends the Republic of Ireland? About nine thousand soldiers. One thousand sailors and eight hundred airmen using an array of small arms, light vehicles and fast patrol vessels. No nuclear. No aircraft carriers of frigates and a handful of fighter planes. Guess what? They've never been attacked except from England.

On the subject of wages, those you mention may well be earning less than those over here but thats more to do with the fact that people are in these positions are overpaid in this country. Four years ago a barman in Killarney earned 12 euro's an hour. Over twice what the same position earned in UK.

You can pick and choose little bit and pieces all you like to try and scaremonger but it would make sense to research your arguements before spouting off.

And finally, are you aware that, at the moment, Scotland is officially NOT in recession?

Last year I received a letter from a relative in Inverness here in Western Canada that took only three days to arrive. Now that is something else and obviously the U K postal service were doing their job very well because the Canadian postal service leaves a lot to be desired,

Consider these incidents:

1. I posted a small, ordinary calendar from Vancouver to Inverness last year. The cost was $13 and it took 10 WEEKS to arrive. Shock and awe!

I asked the postal person how much expedited post would cost before I paid it and she replied --oh, you mean for arrival within ten days? Yes I said, more than a little astonished that it would even take that long. She looked at me and said..$54 ......and they had to pick up Mr Pimple off the floor since he had fainted on the spot.

The next big deal for me re the post office in Canada was to post a vital document to the U. S Internal Revenue Service in Austin Texas. I figured that Registering this would ensure delivery and I was also told that I woudl get a signature upon delivery and I could track the letter online,The cost was $16 for a small letter. I got neither service. eventually.

It took 4 days for the letter to be sent less than 100 kilometers to the U S Border and another 2 days for it to arrive in the sorting Office in Los Angeles (S. Wesernt U. S.).

I was able to track it to this point and thereafter the trail went dead. Alarmed, I got in touch with the Canadian Postal service and they started an investigation--2 months later I am still awaiting the outcome. Looking up the website I then noted that getting a signtaure in America for delivery should have been another $2 but the Canadian lady never told me that. I now know that the document was delivered but I bet , even if I live to be 100, I will never hear from either the U.S.or the Cdn.postal Service again unless I continue to bug them to death.

So, welcome to the Canadian post ofifce where workers get to go on strike for a huge pay raise, all outstanding debtshave been eliminated by jacking up the cost of stamps and service incredibly and is now privatised and making millions of dollars in profit, the service has deteriorated a lot and you know the rest pf the story.

Laurence, Amazon does not charge shipping and handling fees as far as I know when the overall order is over $25 so why would they suddenly start imposing fees on you, pray?

Very hot weather here now , chums, over 94 in the shade the other day--could not believe it--almost as bad as Scotty's place in Toronto recently. And he has a greater humidity to go with it I believe. :wink:

independence will happen real scottish people are geting sick of david cameron danny alexander chris grayling ian duncan smith cant wait for geting a blue scottish passport snp care about the elderly disable people nhs its the conservative party who are trying to kill us all and the Royal mail

independence will happen real scottish people are geting sick of david cameron danny alexander chris grayling ian duncan smith cant wait for geting a blue scottish passport snp care about the elderly disable people nhs its the conservative party who are trying to kill us all and the Royal mail

for some reason, this post makes me think of this clip

I get parcels delivered from Germany every other week and the postal cost is on a par with similar sized packages which I get from within the UK (North and South of the border). I see no reason why we should expect to see a rise in postage costs between Scotland and England should independence be achieved. We're not throwing up any walls/fences and border control and we're not talking about the implementation of any border control or customs services between the countries. Nothing to suggest any need for increased costs for whatever postage/parcel/courier services may be operating on either side of the border.

So yeah, I would say that suggestions to the contrary would fall into the category of scaremongering.

• Agree 2