League Cup 2nd Round - AWAY to Arbroath

RossP

Chuffed to bits - as it's close to Aberdeen and it's a stadium I've not been to before.

Tuesday 28th or Wednesday 29th August.

Edited by RossP

One of my favourite away days. Great wee town. Fresh smokies direct from the kiln and the "best £for£ malt of the month [© Mantis]" available at the pre-match watering hole.

And a proper standing match experience. Happy days.

Edited by Wanderer

I'm just recalling our last trip there in 2008, which was also in the 2nd round of this tournament. Beer and rum in a harbourside tavern with Mantis and Naelifts, followed by a proper fish supper, then a walk up to the game full of confidence and expectation. Ended up a 2-2 draw (Vigurs and Wood) on the same night I first saw Djebi-Zadi put a simple short pass 30 yards out for a throw in. We won on penalties, but later got knocked out by Falkirk, and then got relegated at the end of the same season.

Even better now that they have the hero Paul Sheerin and villains Brian Kerr and TONY BULLOCK in their squad. Bring it on.

Of course! I'd forgotten about those personnel. Brilliant :lol:

Edited by RossP

Was there in Jan 2002 with Jnr when we won 2-0 in the SFA Cup. We went on to beat the real maroons 3-1 at Tynecastle before bowing out to Partick Thistle in the QF®. A great 'real football' ground and an excellent pub close by (if its still there!!). Can't see me making this one though, sadly.

Nice one. Also one of my favourite away days and just down the road from us.

Yngwie, could be a high police presence for this one after the Young Stoney Ultras' last trip to darkest Angus :lol:

I think I might leave the miscreant at home this time and join the last of the summer wine mob in the pub. ymip jr might need to drive.....

I would encourage as many as possible to make the trip - a proper football day out.

I'm just recalling our last trip there in 2008, which was also in the 2nd round of this tournament. Beer and rum in a harbourside tavern with Mantis and Naelifts, followed by a proper fish supper, then a walk up to the game full of confidence and expectation. Ended up a 2-2 draw (Vigurs and Wood) on the same night I first saw Djebi-Zadi put a simple short pass 30 yards out for a throw in. We won on penalties, but later got knocked out by Falkirk, and then got relegated at the end of the same season.

I'm sure there was a video online a while ago where Djebi Zadi pole axes an Arborath player in the box. As clear a penalty as you are likely to see but the referee waved played on!

Ah Mr Spink...........better get smokin'........the boys are back in town. Still the only ground that I visited with my dog , Bonnie ( R I P). New kid on the block , Rosco, is maybe a bit young for the trip at 13 weeks..........don't want him pissing on a goalpost!..........or do I?

A few will remember this:

23 Nov 2002 at Arbroath we reached the top of Div1 for the very first time in our progress through the leagues. Aside from the smokies and great stadium (and watching Mantis taunting the locals) that's the reason I've a soft spot for Gayfield in our club's history.

A couple of weeks later the Paterson era was over and Robbo subsequently gave us the push to promotion. Those were great times.

Arbroath really is the reason I'm kinda jealous of the Newco followers...back to the roots football seems really attractive these days.

• Agree 2

You forgot Imrie getting booked for making an erse of himself at the penalty shoot out.

A few will remember this:

23 Nov 2002 at Arbroath we reached the top of Div1 for the very first time in our progress through the leagues. Aside from the smokies and great stadium (and watching Mantis taunting the locals) that's the reason I've a soft spot for Gayfield in our club's history.

Jeez, was that really 10 years ago?

That's the trouble with segregation. They stand and sing about sheep sh*gg*ng b*st*rds and then we score so the only recourse you have is to run up to the fence and bleat at them.

Edited by TheMantis

Great draw. My wee team. Live 6 miles from stadium. Great place to watch footie. Got season ticket for the Lichties as well as the Mighty Caley. Not as good a team as they were last season. Sheerin not what he was in the good old days and theyve lost Josh to Dunfermline and Swankie to Forfar. Their best players .

Should be a good night and we should win. Should ..............and braw fish suppers..